Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558383 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2880 on: November 28, 2011, 01:53:26 am »

Everyone knows casting a spell is actually transferring your consciousness to an alternate universe where the desired effect is about to take place.  Is it so hard to believe that said alternate universe allows fire underwater?

If you wanted to get creative you could probably mod the game so fire attacks turn into steam.  Ice should be fine, and electricity could be disabled or modified.
This is what I want to do with dual casting separate spells. I was sad when I saw that you needed to dual cast the same spell for a meager increase in effectiveness as opposed to the "normal" versions on their own. Fire + Ice would create steam, blinding (if the effect is still there) opponents, Ice + Lightning would create a storm of sorts, striking multiple enemies, Fire + Lightning would create a miniature sun imploding on the enemy (Fireball + Chain Lightning, anyone? Ball lightning.), and so on.

Having to do something like that for each spell type would be a pain in the ass.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: November 28, 2011, 02:01:28 am »

What depresses me the most is that at least some of the rush was probably because some idiot wanted the gimmicky release date.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: November 28, 2011, 05:13:57 am »

In some lines thats true, but I cant agree 100% there. Some quest lines have a few options, sometimes they are interesting.

For example,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, I saw that as well, and I liked it. But that is one quest out of how many, and I did say "almost all". Doesn't rebut my point.

On another note related to that quest; after doing it, my game seem to have bugged out. I have clones of Louis Letrush stalking me. They wait outside of cities and sometimes appear in the middle of wilderness. One time a clone fell from the sky. It's fucking eerie, I tell ye.

Also, why does this guy keep showing up? Foolish me, I knew I never should have turned away the moment I stepped into the Free Courier office and realised they weren't free in price but in spirit.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: November 28, 2011, 05:19:45 am »

I had crazy glitchage going on during that quest, too! First the guy wouldn't talk to me, and then he was suddenly attacked by a bunch of conjurers or something, and ended up almost dying. I literally
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: November 28, 2011, 06:45:39 am »

Skyrim is better than I expected after the disaster that was Oblivion, but still bland compared to, say, New Vegas. Graphics are nice, but the world feels like a movie set. I wish there was more interaction. The whole frozen north thing is limited to graphics. I mean, the guy can swim around in full plate in water with ice bergs in it without any troube for hours. There should be enviromental dangers, like getting hypothermia after swimming in icy water. Likewise, for example, it would be nice to have some cliffs that are not actually made of rock, but ice and snow and they might collapse, causing the character to slide or drop down etc.

Now the whole ice and cold and blah theme is totally limited to eyecandy, with no bearing in the world itself.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: November 28, 2011, 07:04:21 am »

Skyrim is better than I expected after the disaster that was Oblivion, but still bland compared to, say, New Vegas. Graphics are nice, but the world feels like a movie set. I wish there was more interaction. The whole frozen north thing is limited to graphics. I mean, the guy can swim around in full plate in water with ice bergs in it without any troube for hours. There should be enviromental dangers, like getting hypothermia after swimming in icy water. Likewise, for example, it would be nice to have some cliffs that are not actually made of rock, but ice and snow and they might collapse, causing the character to slide or drop down etc.

Now the whole ice and cold and blah theme is totally limited to eyecandy, with no bearing in the world itself.
Well up near Winterhold it's basically entirely one big glacial sheet. But theres no danger beyond ice wraiths.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: November 28, 2011, 07:14:50 am »

I also like how a small, 3 foot round floating piece of ice can take the weight of a 6 foot tall orc in steel armor, carrying a pack full of weapons, alchemical reagents etc.

There is a survival based game in there somewhere, will be interested to see the modders pull it out. An UnrealWorld / Skyrim hybrid could be great.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: November 28, 2011, 07:16:19 am »

Well, you start the game after several days of traveling in an open cart wearing nothing but a tshirt and some shorts. So you'd freeze to death before the game even began if it was more survival based.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2888 on: November 28, 2011, 08:10:39 am »

Having environmental hazards in skyrim would be about as fun as having something like heat stroke in fallout 3. Can you really think of a fun way to implement hypothermia and realistic cold weather concerns? Because I really don't want to bundle up in 3 sets of winter clothing and trek across a tundra for a few miles before being forced to stop and make a fire for warmth.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: November 28, 2011, 08:42:34 am »

there may be balance between having nothing and modeling full hypothermia.

and fallout did had zones where rad was so high you needed a suite and meds, plus radioactive pools and stuff, so well, you really picked a very bad example out of everything you coud have choosen  :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2890 on: November 28, 2011, 08:48:25 am »

there may be balance between having nothing and modeling full hypothermia.

and fallout did had zones where rad was so high you needed a suite and meds, plus radioactive pools and stuff, so well, you really picked a very bad example out of everything you coud have choosen  :P
Not really. You're the one who brought up radiation, not me. I said it would be about as fun as having heat stroke in Fallout 3, where you're walking around a desert wasteland. How much fun would it have been to be required to wear sun shades, a wide-brimmed hat, and light clothing else you will pass out and die from heat stroke? Walking around in metal armor in a desert environment? Hah! Radiation in Fallout 3 was restricted to very specific areas, was easily avoided, and could be ignored if you gulped a few easily available pills.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2891 on: November 28, 2011, 08:52:57 am »

@forsaken
there WAS a mod which added horrible sunglare that required an helmet or sunglasses.
and need to drink water and eat and sleep.
it wasn't nevrotic, it was just for the people who wanted it.
so, if somewhere, there IS a modder who wishes it, he might mod it in.
and by the way. it IS implemented a certain way of hypotermia.
when you try and reach the BIG P. on top of the mountain, the gushing wind and freezing things are there. it's just considered a "wall" to remove through shouts.
just mod in areas where this thing is in effect, not activated if you have determined equipment and voila, the mod is done.
(obviously done better and all)
the developpers couldn't put it in and hard code it, because certainly there would have been people who didn't care at all for realism and only wanted to hack and slash.
so instead of forcing it on everyone, they hoped for the modding community.
which has done realism mode all thorough morrowind till new vegas.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: November 28, 2011, 09:00:36 am »

when you try and reach the BIG P. on top of the mountain, the gushing wind and freezing things are there. it's just considered a "wall" to remove through shouts.
I actually went to that place via "unofficial" routes (ie. climbed trough the steeper cliffs etc.) and noticed that "wall" just when I was going back down  ::)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: November 28, 2011, 09:11:31 am »

I actually went to that place via "unofficial" routes (ie. climbed trough the steeper cliffs etc.) and noticed that "wall" just when I was going back down  ::)
Sequence breaking high five!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: November 28, 2011, 09:21:36 am »

if you jumpspam on polygons seams, you can climb almost anything

btw, polygon seams in 2011!!! blaaaaaah  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 896