Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558396 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2895 on: November 28, 2011, 09:28:30 am »

I sort of was surprised when my character didn't take damage swimming in frigid waters.

Compared that in real life... it would have probably killed you within minutes.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: November 28, 2011, 09:29:49 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sequence breaking high five!

I went up the mountain (jump spamming like back in the day) right after my first dragon kill and ran into the wall from the wrong site, trying hard to get back to the other site. A few hours later, when the main quest brought me there, I facepalmed pretty hard...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: November 28, 2011, 09:44:47 am »

Going to be starting again, thought I would write a story to it. If enough interest for it, I will do screenshots and an LP tale if it would be better suited then an occasional Excerpt of the tale...

Goal :: Redguard Brawler. Loner. No Weapons or Damage Spells. All Combat Damage must be from Fists. Bow and Arrows can be used as Distraction Tools only. Release the Beast. No Breath Shouts. Other suggestions welcome...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: November 28, 2011, 09:46:34 am »

Honestly I thought Skyrim would fix the "Only one path up the mountain" problem... but it actually stands out as quite a bit worse.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2899 on: November 28, 2011, 10:20:25 am »

at the very least they could have gone with mountain equipment and scalable walls (not at the assassin creed or parkourism obviously) something more of the like of:"now you take this equipment and you start going up. if a dragon sees you, it's your call to jump down or pray to be quick getting up" sort of thing.
with many more problematics and statistics and skills attached to it.
but hey, jumping and walking diagonally on walls makes me the nordic SPIDERMAN. for i am SPIDERNORD, SPIDERNORD!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: November 28, 2011, 10:31:46 am »

Yeah, that'd been cool. Could've used the same mechanics for house-, wall- and dungeon-climbing too. Imagine making your way down a steep chasm, descending slowly into darkness, to fight whatever mythical beasts that dwell in the deepest pockets of the world.

But yeah. Maybe not as fun in practice as it is in my imagination.
Love, scriver~

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: November 28, 2011, 10:34:33 am »

But then the obnoxious invisible walls covering every city would be even more obvious.

One of the coolest things in Daggerfall was climbing over the city wall because it was nighttime and the gates were closed.
*Hugs*

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: November 28, 2011, 11:03:32 am »

But then the obnoxious invisible walls covering every city would be even more obvious.

One of the coolest things in Daggerfall was climbing over the city wall because it was nighttime and the gates were closed.

After a hangover in the woods.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: November 28, 2011, 11:07:02 am »

Yeah, that'd been cool. Could've used the same mechanics for house-, wall- and dungeon-climbing too. Imagine making your way down a steep chasm, descending slowly into darkness, to fight whatever mythical beasts that dwell in the deepest pockets of the world.

But yeah. Maybe not as fun in practice as it is in my imagination.
No no. This is a console game. being given a jump button is considered generous as we obviously can't be trusted with the Y-axis.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: November 28, 2011, 11:11:12 am »

So I suppose you've never heard of Assassin's Creed then.
*Hugs*

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2905 on: November 28, 2011, 11:16:17 am »

After spending 10k gold on training to gain five points of forging, I started buying iron and leather and making daggers. Made a couple hundred of those and sold them to end up with level 100 smithing and finally put my dragon component stockpile to good use. Now I've just got to enchant these things up... I guess I could grind enchanting too, but then I'm going to have at least ten levels of non-combat skills compared to the world...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: November 28, 2011, 11:24:24 am »

How is having armor that makes you nearly invincible non-combat?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: November 28, 2011, 11:26:55 am »

I've been avoiding grinding my tradeskills, I quite like just using them to keep me half a step ahead of the game's enemies, so most of the smithing training I get is from enhancing weapons and armour before selling them.
*Hugs*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: November 28, 2011, 11:44:21 am »

How is having armor that makes you nearly invincible non-combat?

Because you don't use them in combat.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: November 28, 2011, 11:47:06 am »

After spending 10k gold on training to gain five points of forging, I started buying iron and leather and making daggers. Made a couple hundred of those and sold them to end up with level 100 smithing and finally put my dragon component stockpile to good use. Now I've just got to enchant these things up... I guess I could grind enchanting too, but then I'm going to have at least ten levels of non-combat skills compared to the world...

If you're going to grind enchanting, make sure to get the Banish enchantment. I spent about 4000 on a glass bow of banish to disenchant it... but it was worth it. With the right equipment (amulet of dibella + thieves hood maybe) you can sell a single iron dagger with 8 levels of banish (single charge on a petty gem) for 600-700. The enchantment UI will tell you that it starts at 2000 and progressively gets WORSE the more levels on Enchant you have, but so far I've seen that the actual sale price doesn't vary.

EDIT: Note that each merchant normally has only a bit over 1000 gold, so you're going to be making lots of trips to be able to sell a lot.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:49:05 am by Sergius »
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 896