Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550071 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #3135 on: December 01, 2011, 10:48:26 pm »

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/

Essentially: It'll be using steam for content sharing and auto-updating mods and stuff.
Eh, I'll stick with the Nexus Mod Manager.

I'm sure most people out there would rather have the CK out now, rather than wait for a somewhat unimportant feature to be released.

Bethsoft, just release the CK now, and stop that useless steam-mod integration. The mod manager fans make is much better anyway, even if it doesn't look too fancy.

At least it works, unlike your attempts to patch up the game.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: December 02, 2011, 05:44:08 am »

Some good news: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/02/skyrim-to-receive-strong-mod-support/#more-84462

Mainly:
Prefer to use existing modding sites? Not a problem. You’ll still be able to upload/share/access Skyrim mods on fan-created mod sites.

Also the fact that the creation kits being released only 2 months after the game was released is impressive to be fair.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: December 02, 2011, 06:15:38 am »

Indeed, very impressive, when compared to oblivion (downloadable on release day) and morrowind (shipped on a second disk with the game)

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: December 02, 2011, 06:31:52 am »

Hahaha oblivions was downloadable on release day? I don't remember that, but yeah I'll take your word for it, still a wait of 2 months isnt that bad at the end of the day. Compared to the number of games now which dont even have proper mod support.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: December 02, 2011, 06:38:14 am »

Hahaha oblivions was downloadable on release day? I don't remember that, but yeah I'll take your word for it, still a wait of 2 months isnt that bad at the end of the day. Compared to the number of games now which dont even have proper mod support.

Yup

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:47 am »

Don't remind me. *sob*

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03:57 am »

Yup

And Morrowind's came on a CD in the same box as the game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: December 02, 2011, 01:06:49 pm »

If it really is the same tool they used, I have to wonder why it's taking them two months to change it? Are they really just spending all that time adding the Steam functionality before they release it?

My suspicion is that they're trying to get their quest bugfix updates out before they release the CK, so there won't be a bunch of conflicting community bugfix mods. I also suspect that that won't work, of course.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: December 02, 2011, 01:10:41 pm »

My suspicion of choice is that they're busy re-making the design/appearance of the CS in an attempt to hang on to their other attempt to make people think they are using a new engine ;)
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3144 on: December 02, 2011, 01:13:08 pm »

More likely they're polishing the CK for use by the public. Dev tools usually are very finicky and arcane and need to be modified for use by the masses.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: December 02, 2011, 01:14:59 pm »

I do worry of course, of they're trying to make it "smoother" or whatever crap. I sincerely fear that they might make it less useful.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:31 pm »

My guess is that it really is a new engine, and that they need to make the CK user friendly enough for public usage, which they didn't have time to do before because they were rushing to meet the release date, and they only barely made it in time as it is.

DANIT, NINJAS

AGAIN

No, more like able to be used at all without being able to call up the guy who made it and ask him how the hell this thing's supposed to work.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3147 on: December 02, 2011, 01:25:22 pm »

I do worry of course, of they're trying to make it "smoother" or whatever crap. I sincerely fear that they might make it less useful.

Honestly, in-office dev tools are terrible. It's really very reasonable that they take some time to fix some bugs, particularly with the steam workshop integration.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: December 02, 2011, 01:51:31 pm »

My suspicion is that they're trying to get their quest bugfix updates out before they release the CK, so there won't be a bunch of conflicting community bugfix mods. I also suspect that that won't work, of course.

Well obviously. Both Morrowind and Oblivion underwent extensive patching and still there was enough left for the community to fix.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:00:53 pm by Sordid »

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: December 02, 2011, 02:00:59 pm »

More likely they're polishing the CK for use by the public. Dev tools usually are very finicky and arcane and need to be modified for use by the masses.

Also, as to maintain a good public image, they can't release it full of shortenings and stuff, like most probably instead of factions they could've written "facs" or something, and if they would release such a trashy version they wouldn't show off as good developers.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 896