Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558441 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4245 on: January 04, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »

I just want my PC game to be designed for the PC and not a console. That's all. Is it really that much to ask?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: January 04, 2012, 05:27:28 pm »

I just want my PC game to be designed for the PC and not a console. That's all. Is it really that much to ask?

NO.

I hope they start porting portable (and poting potable potions!) cellphone games to PC and calling them major retail games. We'd see about the same quality of entries from the Ported-to-PC category.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: January 04, 2012, 05:28:41 pm »

Depends on who you're asking :P It's not just UI and input considerations. It's where performance is capped at, how many things can get drawn to the screen and a range of hardware profiles vs. one single, solitary hardware profile.

I'm not happy about where resources get invested, but from a technical standpoint I can appreciate how much faster and easier it is to make games for the 360 versus the PC. If the speed and ease of console development showed up as more, better content in the vast majority of games that come out for them, I'd probably have bought one right now. But it seems like, with only a few exceptions, awesome games aren't a product of the platform, they're a product of a good dev house that happens to have the man power and money to do it all: make a great game and make it shine for whatever platform it runs on.

So to me hating on the console is kind of misdirected anger.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4248 on: January 04, 2012, 05:34:39 pm »

Oh I don't hate the console. I play many games on the console. I just don't like being saddled with a crappy UI and software limitations because a game was developed for the console first. Other PC games don't have this issue.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: January 04, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »

Sure they do. Lots of PC games have crappy or at least less-than-fully-functional UIs.

Limitations aren't necessarily inherent in the software either. The huge gaps between what the 360 can display and the PC can display are hardware-based. The irony to me is that the supposed benefit of consoles means you're paying somewhat less than PC users every 4 to 5 years to upgrade your whole hardware profile (and to wait for developers and everyone else to catch up to the "next gen" of consoles) where with a PC, you do it piecemeal. I'm honestly surprised we haven't had the "next gen" of consoles crammed down our throats yet. Because the 360 is already lagging behind.

The problem to me is being thorough. Now, maybe console devs don't have the time, the money or the permission to be thorough. But simple stuff like a properly organized key bind config for a PC port is an issue of thoroughness. (Fuck you, Dead Rising 2.) Putting in the extra 3 weeks it takes to go over your input scheme and make sensible additions for the sake of mouse functionality is an issue of thoroughness. Really common sense stuff (to the end user) would do leagues of good for PC user's tolerance of less-than-stellar PC ports.

While I'd love for PC ports to totally redesign their UIs around PC functionality, or open up all their engine configs so we can take advantage of the massive horsepower your average PC rig has....on the scale of things I need to play these games, they're pretty minor. It's just the basic "connect the fucking dots" type of issues that really make me feel like they are either too lazy to bother, or honestly don't give a shit about the market for their ports.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:50:20 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »

You know, I remember when games were designed for the computer and then had various quality ports to the various consoles.  Anyone remember Quake 2 for N64?
In other words, I miss when the computer was the main gaming system.

In other news, Draugr Deathlords man, just... Draugr Deathlords.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: January 04, 2012, 05:57:34 pm »

It's not as long as ago as you might think. The port of Battlefield 2 to Xbox was a sad, sad monkey. It looked like Counterstrike: Source compared to its PC cousin.

I think it's just, as kids, it was easier to find the money to buy a console and rent games than it was to spend a larger sum of money on a PC rig. (And all the technical knowledge you have to acquire to.) It's hard to put yourself back in that mindset....and so it's easy to forget there's a whole 'nother generation of gamers out there. They may be more technically saavy then the average console gamer used to be, but they're still just as broke and just as lacking in the motivation to build a PC and take control of their gaming environment.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4252 on: January 04, 2012, 06:40:15 pm »

You know, I remember when games were designed for the computer and then had various quality ports to the various consoles.  Anyone remember Quake 2 for N64?
In other words, I miss when the computer was the main gaming system.

In other news, Draugr Deathlords man, just... Draugr Deathlords.

I was really, really disappointed when I finished the main quest.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: January 04, 2012, 06:42:44 pm »

Reasons I went console for gaming:
    • Consoles are about half the price of PCs. 300$ can get you a console and a controller, while 600$ can get you a decent PC.
    • Consoles never need to be upgraded unless you need more storage. A console generation usually lasts 6-7 years, and a console from year 1 will be able to run the same things as a console from year 7. A 600$ computer will not last nearly as long before upgrading is required.
    • You do not need to mess with drivers.
    • Every game you buy for your console will work for your console. This is not true for the PC.
    • Much of the gaming market is focused on consoles.
    So, yea.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: January 04, 2012, 06:45:37 pm »

On the other hand, most PC problems are fixable and the # of games I've not been able to get to work eventually can be counted on one hand. (Because I'm tenacious with these things.)

It takes more effort on the part of the end user, it's true. But I take the long view of it, which is that I'm learning a little something every time I have to find a solution. Which makes the effort worth more than just getting the game to run.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: January 04, 2012, 07:08:18 pm »

I hope Bethesda doesnt pull a FONV and ignore the PS3s issues for this game. They really bombed the performance; its like they didnt optimize it for the ps3s structure at all. Low FPS and freezing on top of all the usual bethesda issues. To really "fix" the issue, I fear the entire engine would need to be reworked. The chance of that happening for a already released game is slim to none.

It really sucks, as the PS3 is a great system when games are made properly for it. Beth is taking a lot of heat for its PS3 port of Skyrim, PS Magazine itself made "Skyrim Scandal" part of their front page.

That is the case despite Bethesda PR's denial. PS3 suffers more than XBox due to forced memory allocation which splits the amount of memory it can use for the game. FNV had to cut content from their original game (Primm area) just to let PS3 users get in on DLC.

The next generation of consoles will probably alleviate these problems, but we're stuck with them for Skyrim.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:18 pm »

So the first dragon I face outside of the plot one for the first soul and shout combo. It has a story.
Spoiler: Take the first (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Take two! (click to show/hide)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: January 04, 2012, 07:48:43 pm »

I needed that.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: January 04, 2012, 07:57:29 pm »

Reasons I went console for gaming:
    • Consoles are about half the price of PCs. 300$ can get you a console and a controller, while 600$ can get you a decent PC.
    • Consoles never need to be upgraded unless you need more storage. A console generation usually lasts 6-7 years, and a console from year 1 will be able to run the same things as a console from year 7. A 600$ computer will not last nearly as long before upgrading is required.
    • You do not need to mess with drivers.
    • Every game you buy for your console will work for your console. This is not true for the PC.
    • Much of the gaming market is focused on consoles.
    So, yea.
Consoles are still lowest end in technology and considering you sell your soul to the companies (well i haven't seen anything from nintendo's end, usually they don't care much), you don't got much say when shit goes down. Also you still guys still don't get mods, ALL bethesda games are not fun if you can't install mods. And thanks to you console maniacs i got little kids whining on counterstrike saying this is harder than Halo.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: January 04, 2012, 08:10:23 pm »

Consoles are still lowest end in technology and considering you sell your soul to the companies (well i haven't seen anything from nintendo's end, usually they don't care much), you don't got much say when shit goes down. Also you still guys still don't get mods, ALL bethesda games are not fun if you can't install mods. And thanks to you console maniacs i got little kids whining on counterstrike saying this is harder than Halo.

Are you blaming people who buy consoles for who joins your counterstrike server?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 896