Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558696 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4260 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:13 pm »

We now announce part 50,000 of the unending console vs PC debate. Grab your popcorn, friends. It's going to be intense (read: derailing and flaming will ensue, posts will be deleted, people will be muted).

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: January 04, 2012, 08:16:20 pm »

Consoles are still lowest end in technology and considering you sell your soul to the companies (well i haven't seen anything from nintendo's end, usually they don't care much), you don't got much say when shit goes down. Also you still guys still don't get mods, ALL bethesda games are not fun if you can't install mods. And thanks to you console maniacs i got little kids whining on counterstrike saying this is harder than Halo.

Are you blaming people who buy consoles for who joins your counterstrike server?
Yes

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: January 04, 2012, 08:17:30 pm »

I was more annoyed at his assumption that nobody enjoys a Bethesda game without mods, when I have 300 hours at least clocked on oblivion, another 200 on fallout 3 and well, probably about 30 on new vegas (fuck that game).

Edit: Yes, vanilla, those are all on my Xbox and if you really give a shit about what people play their game on, you need a new hobby.

Anyway, my PC died right after I brought skyrim. Anyone else get told to go see the greybeards, saw how far they had to walk, thought "fuck that" and proceeded to pickpocket everyone until they didn't even have clothes left?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:24:06 pm by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: January 04, 2012, 08:18:08 pm »

I'm sorry that my post may have caused this.  I don't hate consoles, I like that they are dedicated runners of games, that they always run the game you put in (such as it is) well.  I like how you don't have to think about things with it.  I just prefer the computer's ability to mod, and run Gmod.

Anyways, I have Skyrim for Xbox.
ANYANYWAYS, I just saw a dragon get killed by three frost trolls.  Who then proceeded to chase me off a mountain.  Why are frost trolls so hard to kill with a mace ;-;

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: January 04, 2012, 08:20:02 pm »

Reasons I went console for gaming:
    • Consoles are about half the price of PCs. 300$ can get you a console and a controller, while 600$ can get you a decent PC.
    • Consoles never need to be upgraded unless you need more storage. A console generation usually lasts 6-7 years, and a console from year 1 will be able to run the same things as a console from year 7. A 600$ computer will not last nearly as long before upgrading is required.
    • You do not need to mess with drivers.
    • Every game you buy for your console will work for your console. This is not true for the PC.
    • Much of the gaming market is focused on consoles.
    So, yea.
Consoles are still lowest end in technology and considering you sell your soul to the companies (well i haven't seen anything from nintendo's end, usually they don't care much), you don't got much say when shit goes down. Also you still guys still don't get mods, ALL bethesda games are not fun if you can't install mods. And thanks to you console maniacs i got little kids whining on counterstrike saying this is harder than Halo.
Please tell you are just messing around; your post is busting at the zipper with inaccuracies and falsities. I'm going to assume you are joking because... it's Tellemurius.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: January 04, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »

I was more annoyed at his assumption that nobody enjoys a Bethesda game without mods, when I have 300 hours at least clocked on oblivion, another 200 on fallout 3 and well, probably about 30 on new vegas (fuck that game).

Oh hell no. Forget Console Wars, you don't go dissin' a work of genius compared to Bethesda's derp writing and walk away unscathed from the flames of an angry nerd on the internet. I e-thumb my nose at you, sir!
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: January 04, 2012, 08:28:30 pm »

Oh hell no. Forget Console Wars, you don't go dissin' a work of genius compared to Bethesda's derp writing and walk away unscathed from the flames of an angry nerd on the internet. I e-thumb my nose at you, sir!

Its not even derp writing, its just the sheer cheek of him assuming that because he doesn't enjoy the writing they do, nobody does. I mean seriously, who does that?

I mean, I don't like glowwy cats, so you must not like glowwy cats, clearly! /zing

...On a tangent, wasn't there an experiment where they made animals glow in the dark?

Edit: Yes i'm being silly, in case you didn't notice. Doesn't translate well over text, i've found

Edit two: Ah bollocks I forgot to quote you, i best add that in *pow* done!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:31:56 pm by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:11 pm »

Anyone else get told to go see the greybeards, saw how far they had to walk, thought "fuck that" and proceeded to pickpocket everyone until they didn't even have clothes left?
I wanted to be a mage, requiring a trek to the furthest reaches of the map. I had no intention of fast-traveling to places I have not been before.

That took a while.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: January 04, 2012, 08:51:16 pm »

Same story with the Thieve's Guild. I think the whole questline would have been more fun/challenging if I hadn't been Level 15 by the time I got there. I'd have preferred getting mugged and physically dragged to Riften by thieves, if it would have saved me using the wagon.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: January 04, 2012, 08:56:05 pm »

Oh right. I was actually fine with using the wagon as walking that distance seemed like a chore. Aside from that the one time I actually tried to walk to whatever city is in the top left of the map (I only got about 14 hours of play time before my compy died, so names are not my thing) and got promptly got bitchslapped by a giant, so I just fast travel now.

Its usually easier and I argue that I can always explore for fun later rather than having found a majority of it by walking past it and ignoring it earlier.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: January 04, 2012, 09:01:19 pm »

One reason for fast travel: You won't discover places, which is apparently a good thing because locations scale to your level and then lock there. May not be fact, but it is common advice on the webs, so I don't go somewhere without an objective.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: January 04, 2012, 09:18:32 pm »

One reason for fast travel: You won't discover places, which is apparently a good thing because locations scale to your level and then lock there. May not be fact, but it is common advice on the webs, so I don't go somewhere without an objective.

While Skyrim scales and then lock to your level, I think that only happens when you actually enter that zone. If you don't enter that cave, merely discovering it won't lock its level.

But using wagon does have a problem - while things scale, they do have a minimum level, especially those in the outside world. Go to a place too early and you get your ass handed to you.

When I started my mage, I hired a wagon to go to Winterhold directly after doing a few quests in Whiterun. IIRC I was level 14. When I got the College quest to Saarthal, I couldn't even get to the location alive. On the snowy path I encountered two foes - first, a human named "Scavenger". He was wearing various items looted from a bunch of dead Stormcloak and Imperial soldiers. He quickly turned me into mincemeat with his steel hammer. I reloaded and lured him to the other College student, who is conveniently marked essential. But the next foe is a sabertooth tiger. It killed the student in a single swipe, so I ran back to the Tolfdir (the teacher). I thought Tolfdir would be able to kill it easily. But no, he was killed in three hits. There's absolutely nothing I can do at that level.

You can enjoy Beth games without mods, sure; but once you've seen the mods you will never want to go back to vanilla. Starting from Morrowind, then Oblivion and now Skyrim, it is very well established that Beth games are all flawed (and in many aspects, seriously flawed).

I still remember how big a change it is using Rhedd's new head models in Morrowind. Half the polygon count, 100 times prettier. Level scale overhaul mods for Oblivion; and SKSE for Skyrim allowing all other wonderful mods like SkyUI. And countless new questlines and items!

If you play Beth games on consoles you're dumping all that away - a huge pity.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:24:11 pm by kcwong »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »

Its not even derp writing, its just the sheer cheek of him assuming that because he doesn't enjoy the writing they do, nobody does. I mean seriously, who does that?

He was yelling at you for insulting the masterpiece that is Fallout: New Vegas, with writing far surpassing the typical derp-writing of Bethesda, you n'wah.
In any case, console wars tend to boil down to these two points.
1. Companies prioritize either consoles or PC's. Whichever consumers lose from this get buttmad.
2. Consoles stay the same for many years. The 'High End' of PCs constantly moves forward. (Personally I dislike the "Consoles don't need upgrades" argument, especially when we've had the same consoles for years and they're very outdated tech, with companies just beginning to move towards a long-needed next gen upgrade, but I digress.)
Now, people excluded from these stupid debates, just form your own opinion on these two points, put on some boxing gloves, turn on the stove, and participate in a console flame war!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: January 04, 2012, 10:02:14 pm »

Oh right. New Vegas can go fuck itself due to crippling bugs, that had nothing to do with the writing. I tried, I really did, but after the 9th or so game corrupting crash I had to quit. I'm surprised I even had the stamina to go through the opening few hours that many times.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: January 04, 2012, 10:09:46 pm »

Reasons I went console for gaming:
    • Consoles are about half the price of PCs. 300$ can get you a console and a controller, while 600$ can get you a decent PC.
    • Consoles never need to be upgraded unless you need more storage. A console generation usually lasts 6-7 years, and a console from year 1 will be able to run the same things as a console from year 7. A 600$ computer will not last nearly as long before upgrading is required.
    • You do not need to mess with drivers.
    • Every game you buy for your console will work for your console. This is not true for the PC.
    • Much of the gaming market is focused on consoles.
    So, yea.
Please tell you are just messing around; your post is busting at the zipper with inaccuracies and falsities. I'm going to assume you are joking because... it's Tellemurius.
What does that mean?
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 896