Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558258 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4620 on: January 21, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »

Well, I believe there are 4 stones at the beginning. Warrior, mage, theif, and thent he lover stone. The lover stone grants equal skill gain for everything. Hence Jack of all trades, master of none.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: January 21, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »

The lover stone is in a different place than the warrior, mage, and thief stone.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: January 21, 2012, 05:31:40 pm »

Well, races used to matter in Oblivion and Morrowind. Now even an Orc can be a spellcaster. You just get a very small boost to some of your skills, depending on your race.

By class sytem I meant minor skills and major skills. It's replaced by a perk system which is ridicilous, at least for me. I always played TES games (excluding Daggerfal) by combining combat, stealth and magic skills and now I can't do them all because of this specialization system. I have start a new character if I get bored with my fightining style.

Both of these things are inaccurate and false. You could be an orc mage in Morrowind. It would be more difficult and isn't as wise a choice, but the games were always about freedom. It only really mattered in the beginning how hard you needed to work to get needed skills to a usable level. Thanks to skills rising faster at lower levels you could do this pretty quickly. Magic Resistance was also pretty nifty for a few magical artifacts with negative effects.

There is nothing in gameplay really unlocked through perks. No mechanic of the game is restricted because you didn't invest in some tree. It simply made some mechanic more accessible. It is a wildly more open system where you can be a jack of all trades and do decently. Or invest in one aspect like magic or stealth and be pretty good at that.

I fully understand not digging the feel. It's a perfectly valid reason for disliking something and I get a similar feeling when playing. But your other reasons are a little silly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: January 21, 2012, 05:47:50 pm »

Well, I believe there are 4 stones at the beginning. Warrior, mage, theif, and thent he lover stone. The lover stone grants equal skill gain for everything. Hence Jack of all trades, master of none.
Perks are much more important than your skill. I want my character to get better in a skill as he improves, instead of unlocking perks to make your skill useful. Most perks don't even make sense. Some of the magic perks could be done with spellmaking.

In Oblivion, you gain bonuses when you hit 25, 50, 75 and 100 and I think it was a nice feature.

I loved the perk system in Fallout 3. It didn't change the gameplay much but it was fun. It didn't force you to specialize and you couldn't get some of the perks if you don't meet the SPECIAL requirments. That's just my opinion and I'm sure there will be mods for people who think like me.

But I think attributes sytem and level scaling doesn't go well together. You have to pay attention to what skills you are training if you don't want to be squashed under level scaling. It was good in Morrowind though.

Well, races used to matter in Oblivion and Morrowind. Now even an Orc can be a spellcaster. You just get a very small boost to some of your skills, depending on your race.

By class sytem I meant minor skills and major skills. It's replaced by a perk system which is ridicilous, at least for me. I always played TES games (excluding Daggerfal) by combining combat, stealth and magic skills and now I can't do them all because of this specialization system. I have start a new character if I get bored with my fightining style.

Both of these things are inaccurate and false. You could be an orc mage in Morrowind. It would be more difficult and isn't as wise a choice, but the games were always about freedom. It only really mattered in the beginning how hard you needed to work to get needed skills to a usable level. Thanks to skills rising faster at lower levels you could do this pretty quickly. Magic Resistance was also pretty nifty for a few magical artifacts with negative effects.

There is nothing in gameplay really unlocked through perks. No mechanic of the game is restricted because you didn't invest in some tree. It simply made some mechanic more accessible. It is a wildly more open system where you can be a jack of all trades and do decently. Or invest in one aspect like magic or stealth and be pretty good at that.

I fully understand not digging the feel. It's a perfectly valid reason for disliking something and I get a similar feeling when playing. But your other reasons are a little silly.
Intelligence determines your total magicka. Orcs have 30 (40 if female) intelligence. You say that yourself, it would be more difficult and won't be a wise choice. You have to carefully train your Int governing skills to raise your Intelligence. But still, an Orc mage doesn't have potential of an Altmer mage. In Skyrim this doesn't have any effect. In Morrowind, an Orc mage can't be powerful like an Altmer mage. In Skyrim, Orc mage and Altmer mage is the same thing because every race has the same potential.

Perks are more important than you think. You can't be a jack of all trades and do decently. Level scaling will crush you. There is a guy on the official forum who complains about everything can kill him easily because he made bad decisions when it comes to perks.

There are pretty good perks which you can get only by specializing.

Shadow Warrior (Sneak perk) - Crouching stops combat for a moment and forces distant opponents to search for a target. So you can deal sneak attacks if it's not an open area.

Dual Flurry (One-handed) - Dual wielding attacks are %25 faster. Second upgrade makes it %35 faster. This is like a must to have if you plan on dual wielding.

Shield Charge (Block) - Sprinting with a shield raised knocks down most targets.

You can double your damage by spending 5 perk points in Two-Handed. I think perks are pretty important. Believe me, I tried evenly distributing perk points among my favorite skills. It doesn't work well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:49:33 pm by Leatra »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4624 on: January 21, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »

That's basically the mod I'm waiting for before I get back into Skyrim: Something that alters or removes level scaling. It doesn't work when combined with the levelling system as it makes levelling something not-combat-useful such as lockpicking was more detrimental to your character than it is useful.

Personally I'd love to see a mod that makes everything static on your first go through. So if you clear out a bandit lair, it's populated with named NPCs. Then, when the cell resets those named NPCs are replaced with generic "Bandit" NPCs. Maybe even make it so you can turn off the resetting for a cell, so if you want to take over a fort and call it home you can. I remember a lot of my Morrowind characters would clear out and use Arkngthand as a home. Heck, when I got Vampire Embrace and associated mods I'd often use it as a vampire lair to store my unholy children of the night and turn its original occupants into cattle *evil grin*

That's something Oblivion and Skyrim lack, being able to clear out any random bandit lair and say "Mine now bitches" :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:24:38 pm by MorleyDev »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: January 21, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »

^ Yes, I would love to take me some forts...
Everybody!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: January 21, 2012, 06:31:34 pm »

Blerg, maintenance ate my reply. So I'll just go through the notes of my rebuttal:

1. Magica was based on total intelligence at the current level. Doesn't matter if you start with 10 or 50, when you raise it to 100 it's the same amount no matter what level you are at. Endurance was the thing that caused a weird increase at each level thing. Altmer had a 1.5 magica total boost, but had a ton of elemental weaknesses. The point could be made that an orc mage would have slightly less magica but would be a lot more resilient.

2. Most of the really useful perks are halfway up a tree. The stuff at the top is powerful but by no means necessary. Minimal investment is needed to place perks in very powerful places. All the damage perks are generally on the first tier too, so you can feel free to spread them out. There are some skills that have questionable usefulness like lockpicking and speechcraft where perks will probably be wasted, but most of them work fine with being spread out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: January 21, 2012, 07:30:55 pm »

Dual Flurry (One-handed) - Dual wielding attacks are %25 faster. Second upgrade makes it %35 faster. This is like a must to have if you plan on dual wielding.

I'm confused. If you plan on dual-wielding, aren't you going to want to put points/perks into One-Handed anyway? All you have to do to gain access to Dual Flurry is take one level of the generic starting damage-increase perk, which is also a must-have if you plan on dual-wielding.

As for the Skyrim vs. Morrowind stuff, if Morrowind had Skyrim's production values and combat system it would be in my top three games of all time. Unfortunately, vanilla Morrowind suffers from inexcusably poor animation and core combat mechanics that are frustrating at best. Morrowind was a well-written and superbly imagined game, but I'd rather play something where I don't have to traipse around for three hours looking for the fun part.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: January 21, 2012, 07:34:30 pm »

Perks are much more important than your skill. I want my character to get better in a skill as he improves, instead of unlocking perks to make your skill useful. Most perks don't even make sense. Some of the magic perks could be done with spellmaking.

In Oblivion, you gain bonuses when you hit 25, 50, 75 and 100 and I think it was a nice feature.

I loved the perk system in Fallout 3. It didn't change the gameplay much but it was fun. It didn't force you to specialize and you couldn't get some of the perks if you don't meet the SPECIAL requirments. That's just my opinion and I'm sure there will be mods for people who think like me.

But I think attributes sytem and level scaling doesn't go well together. You have to pay attention to what skills you are training if you don't want to be squashed under level scaling. It was good in Morrowind though.

You have complete control over which perks you take. You can still choose to be a jack of trades.

And I have no problem with the level scaling. I am spreading my points over a wide variety of things, and am still taking everything down with ease while not needing to use any of my potions or scrolls and selling tons of loot for tons of money. I think the game could be harder.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: January 21, 2012, 07:36:03 pm »

Oh, that's a lie. You need to cast like, three in Skyrim. Four if your Speechcraft roll fails.

I'm trying to think of one in oblivion...
You have to cast Buoyancy in Oblivion in a quest that makes you go in a well and bring back a super heavy ring from a dead body.

-Edit-

Although it was probably easier to take off all your armor and hope you dont lose anything.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4630 on: January 21, 2012, 07:38:22 pm »

You have to cast Buoyancy in Oblivion in a quest that makes you go in a well and bring back a super heavy ring from a dead body.

Don't even need to do that.

Take ring. Drop ring. Use grab to drag to well door. Pick up ring. Use door. Drop ring. Drag ring to mage's guild door. Pick up ring. Use door. Drop ring. Drag to relevant NPC. Pick up ring. Talk to NPC. Drop ring. Use grab to throw the ring at that NPC for wasting your time.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: January 21, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »

Oh wait, I've got one!

Don't you need to cast soul trap on that container thing to make the Black soul gem doodad?
That is, if i'm remembering right.

If it's a regular black soul gem you needed, you occasionally get them from Nocromancers, but I can't remember.
Everybody!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4632 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:00 pm »

Don't you need to cast soul trap on that container thing to make the Black soul gem doodad?
That is, if i'm remembering right.

If it's a regular black soul gem you needed, you occasionally get them from Nocromancers, but I can't remember.

It's just a regular black soul gem. The shrine is entirely skippable. In fact, the first time I did it I don't think I even realised you could use the shrine xD

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: January 22, 2012, 07:28:54 am »

Races used to matter because we had attributes. Orcs weren't meant to be mages. You can raise your INT to 100 but it's not easy since you have to improve your int skills carefully. Now, Altmer mage and Orc mage doesn't have any differences. Orc's skin is green and Altmer's skin is yellow. That's all there is. I think I made my point.

There was a quest in Mages Guild, you had to cast spells to a structure in an Ayleid ruin to unlock a door. You could use scrolls but still.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:34 am »

I fast traveled on Shadowmere and this happened...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The basket was violently shaking and doing a little damage to me. It shook even more violently when I dismounted, and eventually it left my face and flew away into the distance.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 896