Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558802 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4995 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:31 am »

So, they made this in a week, it was in the game, within a week of work.

Why the hell didn't they keep it in the game then?

Because it would break and bug it?

Well the game was already broken and bugged in certain parts on release so that excuse is gone.

Hell if they thought about it being bad or it being not liked by the people they could have put up a poll or made it optional.

Also the bit about the perks menu and stuff, if you are making something that the player will uses a lot you don't touch it up by making it as tedious and time consuming as possible :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:48 am »

When viewing that video of those "nice features made in only a week but were not added to the released game", my first thought was of Bethesda bosses saying "great work guys those are impressive additions, let's not implement them, and sell them as a DLC instead later".

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4997 on: February 09, 2012, 11:33:53 am »

I can't see the video right now, what sort of things were there in the video?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: February 09, 2012, 11:38:42 am »

Goblins, spears, cooler sneaking, dark dungeons, spell and arrow kill cams, werebears, awesome vampirism, graphical improvements (seasonal foliage, flow based water shading, ambiental occulsion), lycanthropy perk tree, teleporters, more spells, awesome dungeon additions such as hanging platforms, moving platforms and such, minions, improved companions, some summons, spell combinations (zombie+fire=flame atronarch), mounted combat, dragon riding, building houses, stuff, stuff, stuff, blargh

Now I don't want to play Skyrim anymore :<
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: February 09, 2012, 11:46:36 am »

Fuck this I'm bailing ship. No way I can produce any argument that will make somebody less mad.

Let me try to help you.

1, Game development is 90% coding the base on which you can put awesome stuff, and only 10% making the awesome stuff be awesome for the player.

2, What we see there is put in as good light as possible, because, you know, Bethesda is doing what they do best - hyping. There's a lot of features where we only know anything is different because the nice little info-text pops up and tells us "This is what they did! Awesome!" And since Beth is known do outright lie about things like these, I won't presume they are 100% honest now either.

3, What we see there could not possibly be fully implemented mechanics and features, but simply prototypes of them.

But still, man, a week. Just a month or so more development time, and we could have had some of that stuff. Yeah, I'm not going to be upset over this, but I am going to be all teary eyed over what Skyrim could have been, and I'm going to doubt Beth's business structure even more.
Love, scriver~

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: February 09, 2012, 12:24:22 pm »

Bethesda's games, they have an illusion. Everything seems perfect but as you play you discover things. When you enter a city for the first time, yeah it feels like a city. People are arguing and you get quests by overhearing them. Great. It doesn't last long though.

For some people, illusion lasts long and for some other people it doesn't last an hour. Everybody flamed me when I criticised Skyrim and Bethesda. I read some other threads in different forums. If you praise the game everybody is like 'yeah agreed *high five* you rock OP' and If you criticise it everybody replies with a 'then don't play it you troll go play Morrowind idiot.' It is worse than CoD fanboys. Skyrim's reviews? They are written under this magical illusion. They had to rush the reviews quickly.

They got some really good guys working there but their creativity is being crushed by some dictator dev or something, in my opinion. They are money-hungry, aiming only for pulling more customers. They are good at marketing. Overhyping is never a bad thing for a game if you want customers. Did they buy the game and paid for it? Okay then, we did a good job.

The fact that they are focusing on consoles is one of the many proofs of their money-hungriness.

Anybody still remember the horse armor DLC for Oblivion?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: February 09, 2012, 02:07:00 pm »

Eh.. don't remind me..

At least I got it and some other DLCs together with Knights Of The Nine.
It dosn't feel as bad then.

Altough the feeling is but an illusion.  :P

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: February 09, 2012, 02:30:00 pm »

-a bunch of words-

I agree with you that the eavesdropping quests could be spaced better- maybe a check on how many quests you've made recent progress on? But I don't think the game has an "illusion" of quality. Skyrim is legitimately fun at first. You're walking around and "Oh my god it's a dragon!" and you go to Whiterun and you're like "Oh my god I get a pack mule?!" and you meet a Deathlord and you're like "Oh my god it's hard!" The problem with Bethesda games, though, is that most of the fun is in seeing things for the first time. They're not really sure how to design the game to simply be a joy to play; they're getting there, Skyrim's combat is fun, but they're still using their ability to pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into an open world as a crutch.

Also, after watching that video, wtf why wasn't neck biting part of vampirism in the first place? ???

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: February 09, 2012, 03:34:42 pm »

Well talking about Deathlords........

I have recently tried again with my War in Skyrim + Unleveled World, really wish the Unlevelled World would be picked up again but the mix atm is still great. Really interesting in how the randomness of differenet level monsters keep changing. In the first hall you see them, I met three Deathlords, at level 7. Had to yo yo them in that Pots room a bit back as they Stunblasted me and I burnt them with Double Flames Duel Cast. The mod "Scaling Magic" is wonderful, with the spell damage actually getting higher the higher in level I get with destruction. After a few Overly Powered zombie dudes I come across a ton of level 1 and 2 kinds before coming across another deathlord in the mix, really kept me on my toes...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5004 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:25 pm »

Also, after watching that video, wtf why wasn't neck biting part of vampirism in the first place? ???

It's never really been a part of Elder Scolls vampires. Daggerfall Vampires 'fed' by killing, Morrowind had deadly touches that drain the life of their victims and Oblivion Vampires only fed on the sleeping. Skyrims vampires are the same, being just copies of those from Oblivion which is disappointing since the other three games kept them at least notably interesting by how changed them each by province and even (in Daggerfall and Morrowind) actually 'controlled' different areas of their province.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: February 09, 2012, 04:37:20 pm »

Well I think it was more of a technical issue than anything. You couldn't really do neck-biting with Daggerfall or Morrowind, with their NPCs that never move or go to sleep. Or if you want to be cynical, Bethsoft were just lazy to implement it.
Oh a side not, Skyrim vampires were previously described in the lore as lurking in frozen lakes and pulling people through the ice. So much for that, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:39:26 pm by Sordid »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: February 09, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »

Bethesda's games, they have an illusion. Everything seems perfect but as you play you discover things. When you enter a city for the first time, yeah it feels like a city. People are arguing and you get quests by overhearing them. Great. It doesn't last long though.
That's every game, in every game you discover the mechanics after a while. It's not a negative.

And I dunno how valid that second paragraph is on these forums.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: February 09, 2012, 05:48:58 pm »

That's every game, in every game you discover the mechanics after a while. It's not a negative.

And I dunno how valid that second paragraph is on these forums.

Well, it's not happening with Dwarf Fortress right now. Some games just keep you playing and open-ended games are supposed to keep you playing even after you discover most of the game.

And second paragraph pretty valid :D

It was going to lead to personal insults at one point. People fightining over a video game. Heh.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: February 09, 2012, 09:28:38 pm »

I don't know if somebody already mentioned this, but, remember how Bethesda said "Skyrim is a new engine, the Creation Kit is totally new!" right?

Turns out weapons in Skyrim all have a base VATS accuracy, editable in the Creation Kit. That's right, the auto-targeting system from Fallout 3.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: February 09, 2012, 09:44:25 pm »

Eh.. don't remind me..

At least I got it and some other DLCs together with Knights Of The Nine.
It dosn't feel as bad then.

Altough the feeling is but an illusion.  :P

When I saw E3 on TV, the host said to the developer:

"Hey, I notice that horse doesn't have any armour."

And there was an awkward moment.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 896