Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550228 times)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5820 on: March 30, 2012, 05:00:16 pm »

It blows my fucking mind someone thought 512 was enough for the 360, even back then.

yeah... no chance of high intensity games ever making it on there... kind of limits it to RPGs and FPS's for the most part  :(
most strategy games or high-level combat FPS's and RPGs take a gig of ram with a powerful processor to run smoothly. (meaning the 400 troops on the screen type stuff)
i have used xbox/360 for years, one game managed to slow it, for a few seconds anyway, halo: reach in an psychedelic flash moment
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:39 pm »

It blows my fucking mind someone thought 512 was enough for the 360, even back then.

yeah... no chance of high intensity games ever making it on there... kind of limits it to RPGs and FPS's for the most part  :(
most strategy games or high-level combat FPS's and RPGs take a gig of ram with a powerful processor to run smoothly. (meaning the 400 troops on the screen type stuff)
i have used xbox/360 for years, one game managed to slow it, for a few seconds anyway, halo: reach in an psychedelic flash moment

Of course.  They're designing the game for that hardware.  It would be stupid for them to make it such that it ever taxes the system any more than that... and this is why PC users are so resentful.  Three to four years (at most) after the release of every generation of consoles, most PC gamers are on hardware that makes those consoles look stone age, but games are still being designed according to the limitations of those consoles.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: March 30, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »

Yeah, the console version of Dark Messiah locks you into classes :/
Still, it's not a terrible game, tossing a jar of oil at someone and then setting it on fire is always fun.
I loved the combat system in that game. I hated fightining spiders though. Killing humonoids is more fun! :D

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: March 31, 2012, 12:39:37 am »

Oi. After much grawling and messing around with ENB-series mods, I seem to have completely screwed my game. This is what my game looks like (absolutely everywhere) with every mod/enbshader "uninstalled" and my .ini files fresh and clean. Time for a reinstall, unless someone knows my problem:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I keep looking through my Skyrim directory, but it all looks like vanilla skyrim files. I don't understand why :(

Edit: Shit, the reinstall didn't fix it. Don't fail me video card D:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:03:44 am by Rex_Nex »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: March 31, 2012, 01:14:36 am »

Yeah, the console version of Dark Messiah locks you into classes :/
Still, it's not a terrible game, tossing a jar of oil at someone and then setting it on fire is always fun.
I loved the combat system in that game. I hated fightining spiders though. Killing humonoids is more fun! :D

I still regularly play through that game. Plot is shit, voice acting is terrible, graphics are decent at best but the combat is pure giddy fun. A very similar system to Zeno Clash or Mirror's Edge, but it had a layer of freedom and tactics that I didn't see in either of those games. It's an underrated gem, IMHO.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: March 31, 2012, 05:16:08 am »

Gave Skyrim another go after installing a few mods, notably a few follower mods and the awesome UI mod.  I also installed the mod that put quest markers on the whatever-you-call-it stones.  The ones that there are 24 or so of and they're so spread around Skyrim that you'd never find them all without a quest marker.  I've nearly got them all, and on top of that, got to explore another necromancy dungeon, except this one had an awesome ghostly weapon that pierces armor.  Didn't get a chance to try it out yet, my in-game hubby needed some masterwork dragon plate now that I can choose what he wears, and on top of that, apparently my follower of choice has more skill in one handed weapons while he was using a two handed one.  Explains a lot.  I gave him Chillrend and a dragon plate shield and I plan to take him out on my next facesmacking adventure.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: March 31, 2012, 07:14:28 am »

I'm thinking about starting playing again but I'm too lazy to put all the mods together.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: March 31, 2012, 09:07:05 am »

Steam basically does it for your now. Just pick the ones you want on steam workshop.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: March 31, 2012, 12:59:29 pm »

I'm thinking about starting playing again but I'm too lazy to put all the mods together.
If you're running the Nexus Mod Manager, it turns the installations into a few mouse clicks. Assuming you're willing to wait for the downloads, you can just sit back and watch videos, occasionally saying yes or no to a yes/no question or perhaps choosing options for the mod you are planning to use if they have choices.

Then there's also the Steam Workshop.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: March 31, 2012, 01:22:51 pm »

The level scaling has been explained.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: March 31, 2012, 01:24:57 pm »

That's exactly my point with level scaling. Weird things like bears getting more powerful because you are getting more powerful (or not, if you are leveling up crap skills like lockpicking) doesn't make any sense.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: March 31, 2012, 01:31:18 pm »

That's exactly my point with level scaling. Weird things like bears getting more powerful because you are getting more powerful (or not, if you are leveling up crap skills like lockpicking) doesn't make any sense.

Of course it does.  They're training.  What, did you think you were the only Chosen One?

E: The main thing that bugged me about Skyrim was that literally 99% of the population are bandits of one form or another.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:32:55 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: March 31, 2012, 01:36:05 pm »

BEHOLD!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: April 01, 2012, 07:31:19 am »

Of course it does.  They're training.  What, did you think you were the only Chosen One?

E: The main thing that bugged me about Skyrim was that literally 99% of the population are bandits of one form or another.

I think they might not be bandits, but just random reclusive tribal douchebags. I had one of them send hired muscle after me after I'd stolen from them. :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: April 01, 2012, 06:38:51 pm »

Oi. After much grawling and messing around with ENB-series mods, I seem to have completely screwed my game. This is what my game looks like (absolutely everywhere) with every mod/enbshader "uninstalled" and my .ini files fresh and clean. Time for a reinstall, unless someone knows my problem:

I keep looking through my Skyrim directory, but it all looks like vanilla skyrim files. I don't understand why :(

Edit: Shit, the reinstall didn't fix it. Don't fail me video card D:

I'm pretty sure there were issues with a driver update or something, I had those errors too awhile ago. Rolling back my driver cleared that up.
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 896