Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550152 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6015 on: May 03, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »

Zenimax is actually a shell company made by the founders of Bethesda so that they can keep their other businesses separate from their original game studio. The more you know!

I thinkit's way way waaaaaaaay too early to be freaking out about this one, especially since apperently it has been in development for years already - meaning the team is definitely not intending this as the next main TES game.

Also it's a prequel. Specifically, set a millenium before Skyrim. So that further sets it up as 'not TES 6'

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: May 03, 2012, 03:26:25 pm »

I hope Dawnguard is a good DLC with enough content to warrant a purchase.

As for Elder Scrolls Online, I don't see it working out in the long run... it'd have to sacrifice too much of what folks like about the Elder Scrolls to bring in MMO conventions. Sure, it'll have strong initial sales based on the brand name alone, but unless it somehow manages to greatly exceed expectations, it'll fall flat on its face when much of the player base goes back to WoW.

Really, all the elder scrolls needed was co-op to allow groups of friends to play together.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:29:12 pm by Flying Carcass »

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: May 03, 2012, 03:26:33 pm »

This is the same as getting worried that Doom 4 is going to replace TES VI because they're both owned by Zenimax.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: May 03, 2012, 03:30:38 pm »

This is the same as getting worried that Doom 4 is going to replace TES VI because they're both owned by Zenimax.

No it isn't. Doom 4 is not an Elder Scrolls game.
Bethesda is a subsidiary of Zenimax. Zenimax jumps, Bethesda says 'How high?'

Fair enough, that wasn't my understanding of the situation, but regardless, Zenimax is affiliated with Bethesda and it is and ES game.

As for Dawnguard, I am pretty happy to see the return of crossbows, but if the rumors about it being set in Morrowind are true, I'm not sure how much I would appreciate going back there just yet. Morrowind and Vvardenfall got pretty screwed over in between ES IV and ES V, and I'm not sure how much I'd like to be reminded of that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:34:35 pm by catoblepas »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: May 03, 2012, 03:37:27 pm »

Scans of the June issue of GI have been posted.  I'm not going to link them, but they don't paint a pretty picture of the game, even if GI is trying their best to shill it.

-1000 years before Skyrim
-Three factions
-Massive retcons
   -Molag Bal and Mannimarco are the generic allied demon/necromancer bad guys
   -Nords, Dunmer, and Argonians are allies "out of necessity" despite this never being mentioned in other TES games, the three of them having an undying hatred for each other, the Argonians living in a swamp that's poisonous to non-argonians and the Dunmer having four living gods protecting their turf
-Classes, levels, third person, hotbar for skills
-Progress in the Fighters' Guild by destroying "Dark Anchors" and in the Mages' Guild by collecting "Lore Books" rather than unique quests like previous games, Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood will be in the game but are not described
-No player vampirism/lycanthropy, although they will be enemies in certain quests
-No player owned housing/property
-Complete voice acting (I actually started laughing when I read this one)
-Cyrodiil is a straight copy from Oblivion, except smaller
-Graphics have the standard plastic-y HeroEngine look

As it stands it looks like a cheap WoW knock-off with a popular IP stamped on it.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: May 03, 2012, 03:38:09 pm »

Completely relevant because both are different companies which only share the commonality that they're owned by the same supercompany.  Zenimax online isn't Bethesda Game Studios in the same way ID Software isn't Bethesda Game Studios.

Molag Bal and Mannimarco are the generic allied demon/necromancer bad guys

Wonderful... ::)

-Nords, Dunmer, and Argonians are allies "out of necessity" despite this never being mentioned in other TES games, the three of them having an undying hatred for each other, the Argonians living in a swamp that's poisonous to non-argonians and the Dunmer
Yeah I think this is pretty definite proof that BethGames isn't getting involved in this.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:41:23 pm by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: May 03, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »

I would play TES Online if it used the engine from Daggerfall, complete with 2D pixelated sprites and boobs.

IDC if other player sprites move as smoothly as the ones in DooM.

Hmm... player built towns in that engine may actually be pretty neat.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: May 03, 2012, 03:44:59 pm »

Completely relevant because both are different companies which only share the commonality that they're owned by the same supercompany.  Zenimax online isn't Bethesda Game Studios in the same way ID Software isn't Bethesda Game Studios.

They are made by what is essentially the same entity, and are making games using the same IP. I'm not sure what you are tryign to get at. This isn't like the difference between the Annimated versions of the LoTR and the live action version where two difference directors came up with two different versions of LoTR that don't interact with one another whatsoever.

Microcline, your cartoon is increasingly relevent the more I learn about this MMO project, thank you for the additional information.

*edit* oh god, I just saw one of the leaked screens. that is some serious clevage armor. First impression is that it looks like (visually) a Medieval version of TOR. The leaked information doesn't make me exactly enthusiastic either.

*edit #2* Well, reading on, looking at some of the other screens, I am left speechless. How could someone miss the amrk on what makes ES, ES by so much. Microcline, you left out a lot of the worst stuff.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:55:41 pm by catoblepas »

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: May 03, 2012, 03:57:03 pm »

This isn't like the difference between the Annimated versions of the LoTR and the live action version where two difference directors came up with two different versions of LoTR that don't interact with one another whatsoever.

Do explain.  The tidbits of factions provided already shows that they aren't interested in using TES canon.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: May 03, 2012, 04:06:22 pm »

This isn't like the difference between the Annimated versions of the LoTR and the live action version where two difference directors came up with two different versions of LoTR that don't interact with one another whatsoever.

Do explain.  The tidbits of factions provided already shows that they aren't interested in using TES canon.

The difference is that it is a continuation of the Elder Scrolls lore, in much the same way TOR is of KoTOR or WoW is for Warcraft. Neither did any favors to their respective canons, being full of retcons and inconsistancies with earleir games. Regardless, both of these are now parts of their respective canons, and are inseperable from the old canon. We can expect the same from TES Online. If you think that this is going to be deemed a non-canon game set in an alternate reality, despite being developed alongside Skyrim by the company the Bethesda is a subsidiary of, I would like to see where you are drawing precedence for this conclusion from-I don't see much indication that the lore of this game is goign to be kept seperate fro mthe canon of the rest of the Elder Scrolls.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: May 03, 2012, 04:34:14 pm »

*edit #2* Well, reading on, looking at some of the other screens, I am left speechless. How could someone miss the amrk on what makes ES, ES by so much. Microcline, you left out a lot of the worst stuff.

Like what? You scare me.
Love, scriver~

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: May 03, 2012, 04:36:00 pm »

The difference is that it is a continuation of the Elder Scrolls lore, in much the same way TOR is of KoTOR or WoW is for Warcraft. Neither did any favors to their respective canons, being full of retcons and inconsistancies with earleir games. Regardless, both of these are now parts of their respective canons, and are inseperable from the old canon. We can expect the same from TES Online. If you think that this is going to be deemed a non-canon game set in an alternate reality, despite being developed alongside Skyrim by the company the Bethesda is a subsidiary of, I would like to see where you are drawing precedence for this conclusion from-I don't see much indication that the lore of this game is goign to be kept seperate fro mthe canon of the rest of the Elder Scrolls.

Ah I misunderstood you.  You're arguing on the front that the TES:MMO will ruin lore.  Which is a possibility.

My reply was to folks that for some reason think TES:MMO is for some reason replacing TES VI due to being unable to tell the difference between BGS and Zeni Online.  Hence why I indicated that this is obviously a different company(It is) due to their handling of tes canon, the example with Doom IV, and the previous arguments that BGS is not Zenimax online.  How you thought all that was about lore I don't know.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: May 03, 2012, 04:37:41 pm »

Getting back to Skyrim,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6028 on: May 03, 2012, 04:40:23 pm »

Yes, one for each.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: May 03, 2012, 04:46:20 pm »

Ah I misunderstood you.  You're arguing on the front that the TES:MMO will ruin lore.  Which is a possibility.

Actually, just what little I've read about the game between my last post and this one makes it a certainty.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 896