Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550045 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6210 on: June 05, 2012, 06:59:57 pm »

I wonder if the next DLC will have us sailing the waters of oblivion to the gates of the Aetherius so we can go punch the creator in the face.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: June 05, 2012, 07:30:29 pm »

Been there, done that. Both the Imperial Mananauts and the Sunbirds of Alinor tried to reach Aetherius by traveling through Oblivion, though I can't recall if any of them succeeded off hand. I do remember something about them needing infinite supply of mana to fuel the voyage through the infinite amount of nothing-space, though. So I guess not.
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6212 on: June 05, 2012, 07:33:53 pm »

Been there, done that. Both the Imperial Mananauts and the Sunbirds of Alinor tried to reach Aetherius by traveling through Oblivion, though I can't recall if any of them succeeded off hand. I do remember something about them needing infinite supply of mana to fuel the voyage through the infinite amount of nothing-space, though. So I guess not.
But this would be in a boat made from the bones of the Aedra powered by the rage of the Daedra, the Arrogance of the Mer and the Hubris of Man.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: June 05, 2012, 07:35:16 pm »

Aren't the sun and stars suposed to be holes to Aetherius?  So it'd be easier to reach Aetherius by going through Mundus without entering Oblivion itself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: June 05, 2012, 07:43:38 pm »

Actually, we already went to Aetherius in-game.

In Daggerfall.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: June 05, 2012, 07:46:53 pm »

Due to engine limitations, of course, it didn't look like anything special.

Actually, from what I found out after a brief search, Sovngarde is in Aetherius, so we actually got to go there more than once.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:42 pm »

Aren't the sun and stars suposed to be holes to Aetherius?  So it'd be easier to reach Aetherius by going through Mundus without entering Oblivion itself.

Holes between Oblivion and Aetherius, yes. So you still need to travel through an infinite amount of Oblivion to get to those holes.

Actually, we already went to Aetherius in-game.

In Daggerfall.

Too early. Didn't have the same "astronomy" back then, so it won't fit completely. We have to ret-con or handwave at our own discretion, I'm afraid ;)
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:46 pm »

What? No. Oblivion is as well defined as can be. It's the void that the Daedric and Aedric realms/plane(t)s reside in. It's beyond the Mundus/Creation, and beyond Oblivion in turn lies Aetherius. If the planes/realms are eggs floating in water, then Oblivion is the water. Except it's an unending expanse of nothing instead of liquid.

While probably not an authoritative source, the info in the TES wikia say this about Oblivion:

"Oblivion, also called The Void of Oblivion or the Planes of Oblivion and also Wasts of Oblivion, is a collective term used to describe one subset of the planes of existence. The planes of Oblivion are those which have the least connection with the mortal plane, Nirn.

The planes which make up Oblivion are defined primarily by exclusion. Any plane which is not Nirn itself, not one of the planets or moons, and not Aetherius itself, is generally considered to be an Oblivion plane. It is commonly believed that there are an infinite number of such planes, though Tamrielic scholars are aware of only a small handful. In particular, it is believed that each of the sixteen Daedric Princes rules over their own plane, which is formed into an image of their choosing."

While some of the books in game call Oblivion "a place", they also refer to the planes as "lands" and that it is "composed" of them. Nowhere is Oblivion, to my knowledge, acknowledged as an actual separate entity, or does someone travel "to" Oblivion, only as the aggregation of the different planes. And not even all Planes are part of Oblivion. Roughly, they are defined as "planes run by the Daedra Princes" or "Planes that are not Nirn".

I'm going by in-game Lore, by the way. Don't know much about novels.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: June 05, 2012, 07:55:12 pm »

Of course, the nature of space, time and physics is even more detached from the "real world" (or the Elder Scrolls' Mundus/Nirn) in Aetherius than in Oblivion. Would be cool to see someone really play with that (modders naturally, I'd be surprised if Bethesda did anything really avant-garde).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: June 05, 2012, 08:01:41 pm »

I'm sorry, Sergius, but that quote only support what I said. Oblivion is like a bowl of water. The Daedric and Aedric realms respectively plane(t)s are eggs floating in that water. They are part of the bowl, hence "Oblivion planes", yet separate, and the water and Oblivion themselves are in no shape or form an egg or plane, just the thing that surrounds the eggs and holds them together.
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: June 05, 2012, 08:15:00 pm »

Nothing in that quote says anything about Oblivion being a bowl of water. Or a bowl of space, or a bowl of anything. It does not support what you said, just because you claim it does. Does not state that Oblivion is an area, volume or some other kind of container, anymore than a herd of animals is a bucket (or any other facsimile) full of animals.

Look up "collective term".

If you want to support what you said, provide a link or something that actually supports what you said.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:24:26 pm by Sergius »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: June 05, 2012, 08:53:25 pm »

Aren't the Daedric Realms (not the word) in Oblivion? Which would mean that these vampires could very well reside in a realm in oblivion? I'm not huge on the lore, but I was pretty sure in the game Oblvion, I was travling to Oblivion, and it wasn't a bowl? I'm rather confused about all of this...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:49 pm »

It's simple, see. Oblivion is The Third World.

It's all those countries that aren't major world powers.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: June 05, 2012, 09:10:27 pm »

Aren't the Daedric Realms (not the word) in Oblivion? Which would mean that these vampires could very well reside in a realm in oblivion? I'm not huge on the lore, but I was pretty sure in the game Oblvion, I was travling to Oblivion, and it wasn't a bowl? I'm rather confused about all of this...

That's not the issue, it says that they live, generically, in "the plane of Oblivion, which the player can visit."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: June 05, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »

This is a good time to issue a general warning that contradictions exist within the lore. There will have to be some choices and opinions here.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 896