Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550017 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8055 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:32 pm »

I want to see a realistically large gameworld where it takes real-life weeks to travel from one city to the next on foot. Where horses have more value.
Well, I read somewhere that Arena did that :P

And the Witcher 3? I think it was 3 is planned to have world larger than Skyrim's.

Daggerfall had this for sure(I want to say it still holds the record for largest game world but I could be wrong I know it held it for a long time though). Only problem is there wasn't much to see between the cities and most of the cities were somewhat cookie cutter in their layout. Fast travel made it not too much of a problem, but it got to the point where once you saw one small town, one medium town, and one large city, they were all the same, excepting things like the city of Daggerfall itself and some of the other story related cities.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:05 pm »

I want to see a realistically large gameworld where it takes real-life weeks to travel from one city to the next on foot. Where horses have more value.

And the Witcher 3? I think it was 3 is planned to have world larger than Skyrim's.

Daggerfall had this for sure(I want to say it still holds the record for largest game world but I could be wrong I know it held it for a long time though). Only problem is there wasn't much to see between the cities and most of the cities were somewhat cookie cutter in their layout. Fast travel made it not too much of a problem, but it got to the point where once you saw one small town, one medium town, and one large city, they were all the same, excepting things like the city of Daggerfall itself and some of the other story related cities.

Minecraft has worlds 8x larger than the surface of the earth, but it's all completely random.

I once started on a Morrowind world which would have vast open areas of plains and deserts between towns, but then I found there was a relatively small limit on map dimensions.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8057 on: February 10, 2013, 03:34:28 pm »

Also most people don't want to hold the "W" key for an hour and a half just to get to the next outpost or town.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: February 10, 2013, 03:44:18 pm »

Also most people don't want to hold the "W" key for an hour and a half just to get to the next outpost or town.
Which is why the wagondrivers get rich.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: February 10, 2013, 04:14:30 pm »

Which is why the wagondrivers get rich.
Silt strider ! Or teleportations spells ! Or levitation spell (1 hour blessing  :D )

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8060 on: February 10, 2013, 04:32:37 pm »

Yeah, anything approaching real world size only could be possible with procedural generation like Daggerfall and Arena did turned up to eleven. That Malevolence game looks interesting for this. I really need to download the demo for it.

Also on the topic of moving quickly in such a world, Boots of Blinding Speed + Resist Magic = I'm not on anti depressents, I'm on SPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: February 10, 2013, 08:16:09 pm »

The trick is to provide lots of interesting distractions along the way, which random encounters can help greatly with. I walk all the way across Skyirm because otherwise I won't stumble upon all the interesting things in the game. You could also have a few open, barren places with almost nothing, and crossing them without fast travel gives you a sense of accomplishment. In fact, even long, middle-of-nowhere desert/plains/tundra type areas can still be interesting if you add in a survival/resources mechanic (think about crossing such places in DF adventure mode!)

I've been trying to build, since forever, an area on 1x1 scale in one of the TES areas for a TC mod. Given how all the elder scrolls games have their location severely scaled down, and some rely on invisible walls, I think the best choice of setting for this place would be a decent sized island, somewhere like 6 miles long or so, with lots of islands around it with other interesting stuff. So, the game area would be in about a 10mi x 10mi square of ocean.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: February 10, 2013, 08:33:55 pm »

One of the big draws for cyberpunk 2077, now that i think of it, is that it's limited to one city. It can be realistically scaled.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: February 10, 2013, 08:35:38 pm »

There any mods which allow for combat underwater? One the reasons I haven't started any of my planned modding projects is that I want to have lots of underwater content.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: February 10, 2013, 10:00:03 pm »

The Cell Processor technically 1 PPE core for general processing and  the others 6 SPE are for floating point executions that are insanely powerful,the PS3 Cell has 7 SPEs with 6 available for development, the Xenon in 360 is a triple core PPE.

edit: in truth the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 but the reason why it sucks cause there isn't enough ram in the system (ignoring the fact that its a bitch to program). For what ever reason they decided to put in 512mb of ram and split it in half for the cpu and the gpu.
Both the PS3 and the 360 have 512MB total RAM. PS3 dedicates the RAM, but system RAM can be used to store textures out of view, negating any disadvantage. The 360's shared RAM is only useful if you want to have a beautiful-looking game with zero depth (like Halo).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: February 10, 2013, 11:50:32 pm »

The PS3 having only 256 MB of system RAM makes the more recent Bethesda games near-impossible to play after too long because it doesn't have enough memory to run your game.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: February 11, 2013, 12:03:32 am »

Minecraft has worlds 8x larger than the surface of the earth, but it's all completely random.

I once started on a Morrowind world which would have vast open areas of plains and deserts between towns, but then I found there was a relatively small limit on map dimensions.
Dwarf Fortress has a massive world, where travelling from one part to another takes a shit ton of time (in adventure mode). Unreal World is also quite massive iirc in terms of both map size and rl time.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: February 11, 2013, 12:44:20 am »

In fact, they leave most of the larger architecture in the Overworld so that you can see houses from atop a mountain or something.

That is not good enough, what if I want to jump over the walls with high enough jump skill as in Morrowind?
Or what if I have a mod which enables me to fly?

It's been done. There were places in Oblivion were you could jump just right, or use some items as stepping stones.

Basically you end up in some low-definition version of the town without people or pretty much any other furniture.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8068 on: February 11, 2013, 01:07:27 am »

Both the PS3 and the 360 have 512MB total RAM. PS3 dedicates the RAM, but system RAM can be used to store textures out of view, negating any disadvantage. The 360's shared RAM is only useful if you want to have a beautiful-looking game with zero depth (like Halo).
As someone who owns all three versions, the PS3 has both a significantly worse framerate and lower graphics and still, until tomorrow, has yet to have any DLC.

It doesn't really matter which console is more powerful because more often than not PS3 ports are shoddy.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: February 11, 2013, 03:28:09 am »

In fact, they leave most of the larger architecture in the Overworld so that you can see houses from atop a mountain or something.

That is not good enough, what if I want to jump over the walls with high enough jump skill as in Morrowind?
Or what if I have a mod which enables me to fly?
Basically you end up in some low-definition version of the town without people or pretty much any other furniture.

Which is why I said it's not good enough.
I want non-mod open cities!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:52:31 am by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 896