Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558595 times)

Marchosias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8100 on: February 12, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »

Making faces is hellishly hard, you ever try making a nose? Also have you seen some of the faces from that period in gaming? they also made them emotive and still changable on the fly... horrible abomination that it is.

You can pick apart any game, and see it as garbage.

I personally think dragons, one of the very core creatures to fight in skyrim, was designed to be a cinamatic fight and should be an epic battle, yet you walk it to land on a flat ground landing and it can barely turn and has no ability to fight at all; although some of the smaller enemies like dwelmer spiders can pathfind on just about anything and look crazy to boot doing it.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #8101 on: February 12, 2013, 01:29:34 pm »

Well yeah, but the game also throws so many dragons at you that they turn into a chore. I don't see a dragon and think 'Yess! Dragon fight, this'll be awesome' I think 'Oh for fuck's sake, now I need to kill that before I can buy turnips'
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: February 12, 2013, 01:39:03 pm »

Well, just add a mod or increase difficulty, so, when you see a dragon, it's "Crap, RUN !".
And I'm not talking of a group of 3 blood dragons (was lvl 15). At high difficulty, dragons can also cinematic-kill you. Chewed by a dragon  :-\

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: February 12, 2013, 01:44:02 pm »

Ah, cinematic killings.

I hated it when I used the become ethereal shout, and someone still got a cinematic kill on me.
Something hilarious about cinematic kills is using the decapacitation perk to kill ghosts.

And I find dragons to be a chore too. Especially if you're walking trough the mountains or some place with little flat land.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:45 pm »

So Dragons are really oversized Cliff Racers on steroids whom all have a bad case of heartburn.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #8105 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:00 pm »

I haven't updated Skyrim for a bit, and so not sure if this is still an issue: Did they ever fix the bug where your follower wouldn't increase their holding capacity? Back at launch I remember you had to disable and reenable the follower to get their holding capacity to reset. It was frustrating to do sometimes since I liked using the follower as my pack mule, carrying all of my cave and dragon loot until we would manage to find our way back to wherever I had a house.

I still haven't finished the main storyline for Skyrim. I get the first shout and then tell the storyline to screw off while I go running around the world exploring. In my most recent game I think I am a level 3 bow mage reptile dude, and just successfully cleared out a cave filled with Falmer. They have some nifty weapons for a character this young :D Going through it is also probably easier than it should be since only the Falmer are at their proper level. The random wildlife that populates the cave is pretty weak with the worst I have seen being a normal wolf.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: February 12, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »

I use the Deadly Dragons + Mighty Dragons mods together, so Dragons are hellishly difficult. Which is really nice.

I couldn't even beat the very first dragon... Mirmurlnir? The guy attacking Whiterun at the start. Had to wait until I was around level 20 something. Even then it was a completely ridiculous and stupidly hard battle that relied more on the immortality of the soldiers that followed me rather than my pathetic cowering self hiding behind rocks. Until that point Whiterun and the surrounding areas were completely inaccessible to me. In fact, for a good long time, every time I encountered a dragon I learned a lot of ways to run away. I was the worst Dragonborn in the history of Dragonborns. I don't think I actually managed to kill a dragon myself until I completed about 50% of the game.

It also increased the appearance of dragons by a very long amount, so it made it way more exciting. Very often I completely forget there are dragons in the game and suddenly a superdragon that summons poison storms wherever it touches will descend upon my pathetic ass and whip me around for an hour.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: February 12, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »

I also found dragons to get annoying quickly (along with the kill-animations). They seemed like things that were trying to be awesome for what they were, but end up seriously overstaying their welcome (yet another dragon, seen this animation before ::) etc)

I would have liked it if dragons were used with much less frequency (or not at all since I like dragons :P) so that it was more of a significant event rather than "oh no, not again".

So Dragons are really oversized Cliff Racers on steroids whom all have a bad case of heartburn.

Cliff Racers generally took less time to kill.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: February 12, 2013, 03:26:25 pm »

I use magic so dragons are much less of a deal for me since I can stun them.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: February 12, 2013, 04:12:32 pm »

The difficulty is not the point, it's the fact that the game's basically going 'Fuck off, you can do what you want after spending several minutes killing dragon number 583748374843748373894875475847584992992939293929392932392939'
My cabbages!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: February 12, 2013, 04:18:26 pm »

Cliff Racers generally took less time to kill.
Hence "on steroids"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: February 12, 2013, 04:36:24 pm »

I've been trying to build, since forever, an area on 1x1 scale in one of the TES areas for a TC mod. Given how all the elder scrolls games have their location severely scaled down, and some rely on invisible walls, I think the best choice of setting for this place would be a decent sized island, somewhere like 6 miles long or so, with lots of islands around it with other interesting stuff. So, the game area would be in about a 10mi x 10mi square of ocean.

Sounds like you want Stros M'kai, from TESA: Redguard. There are also islands in the Iliac Bay like Balferia, Betony, and Cybiades that could work, and the Sheogorad region has a bunch of tiny islands. Or you could ignore the retcon in Oblivion and make the Imperial City the multi-island complex it was supposed to be.
Did I say areas? I mean construction sets. D'oh! I was thinking of an original setting. Though a new game of Stros M'kai would be cool. The Sheogorad island, fully scaled, would be the size of one the Canadian channel islands (huge).

I tend not to notice dragons that much, having made my dunmer boringly powerful using completely vanilla exploits, no mods or console commands. Seriously, 140 pts fortify unarmed damage gauntlets with destruction costs 100% less to cast... alchemy + enchanting, I tell you.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:43:15 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: February 12, 2013, 05:33:06 pm »

Not if you're playing as a poor turnip farmer who just wants to get a few more gold so he can buy a cloak for the winter chills.
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8113 on: February 12, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »

Not if you're playing as a poor turnip farmer who just wants to get a few more gold so he can buy a cloak for the winter chills.
In that case you just don't do the quest which starts the dragon attacks.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: February 12, 2013, 05:56:45 pm »

I wish that I could've had sided with the dragons and helped them enslave humanity.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 896