Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550131 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8235 on: February 18, 2013, 02:34:50 am »

My main problem with Morrowind, which is probably the reason why I don't currently own it, is the combat system. As Alex said, I don't want to have missed something that I very clearly hit. It just makes it artificially more difficult. Still, the next time it goes on sale on Steam, I'll probably buy it. It's one of those things where you never got into it, but you always say to yourself "You should really get around to doing that."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: February 18, 2013, 02:41:36 am »

I spent time planning my character and watching him grow.
I agree with this mostly, but I still think that simplifying the skills is a shame. I don't necessarily want the numbers shown but having it be more granular is still better in my book.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: February 18, 2013, 02:52:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyhow I think the real question is: When will we ever play this gam and actually deserve to be the arch mage?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:15:20 am by Neonivek »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: February 18, 2013, 03:20:46 am »

I spent time planning my character and watching him grow.

I disagree with you here. Half the fun is looking at a giant sheet of numbers :D. Although I can't remember playing ever playing an RPG like you described, probably because it's much harder to accomplish than just showing the player the numbers you are using in the game anyway...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: February 18, 2013, 03:47:20 am »

I think what he means is that the focus on stats as the representation of power in many ways is just another form of "Show don't tell"

Where the game says "Ohh yeah you are awsome" with vague words without you seeming any better.

and with games like Dragon Age where the scaling uttarly destroyed the sense of progression... I can relate.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: February 18, 2013, 03:52:09 am »

Scaling is something that really fucks with a lot of RPGs.  It's one thing that actually really impresses me about Mount & Blade.  You scale up to the point that you can literally stand in the middle of a horde of angry farmers and they won't be able to hurt you.  There's a seriously awesome sense of growing more powerful.  But in the process you also find yourself facing tougher and tougher challenges.  And those challenges are there from the beginning.  They're not scaled in as you play.  You just don't fuck with them until you're ready (which is whenever you decide you are), and that process happens in a somewhat believable fashion.  All sandbox RPG designers should definitely take note.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: February 18, 2013, 04:32:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I disagree with you here. Half the fun is looking at a giant sheet of numbers :D. Although I can't remember playing ever playing an RPG like you described, probably because it's much harder to accomplish than just showing the player the numbers you are using in the game anyway...

Excel does not make for a fun game in my book :P

Some RPG's have had various parts of the game mechanics that I like, but not as a whole.

Its not hard to replace "15% weakness to fire" with "is vunerable to fire". Its still dependant on a simple statistical system, sure, but its a good start. Consider DF (a game whose combat system is an excellent example of what I mean), in DF you "slice" and "cut" things, you do not do 2d5 damage. You might sever a tendon, instead of doing a "crit".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:39:39 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: February 18, 2013, 04:41:08 am »

Its not hard to replace "15% weakness to fire" with "is vunerable to fire". Its still dependant on a simple statistical system, sure, but its a good start. Consider DF (a game whose combat system is an excellent example of what I mean), in DF you "slice" and "cut" things, you do not do 2d5 damage. You might sever a tendon, instead of doing a "crit".
In 'a game like DF' +15% fire damage does not make sense, as there is no hit points system. So while I agree with you that combat like that is fun, I still prefer numbers in a game that already shows you a lot of numbers. Basically, I prefer to either know all the numbers (Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 2) or none of them (Dwarf Fortress). Not saying that something in between makes a game a crappy (as there will always be plenty of stuff you do not know), it's just something I prefer.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: February 18, 2013, 04:42:49 am »

If i'm not mistaken, the total overhaul mod for Skyrim, Requiem removes those numbers entirely.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:24 am »

In 'a game like DF' +15% fire damage does not make sense, as there is no hit points system. So while I agree with you that combat like that is fun, I still prefer numbers in a game that already shows you a lot of numbers. Basically, I prefer to either know all the numbers (Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 2) or none of them (Dwarf Fortress). Not saying that something in between makes a game a crappy (as there will always be plenty of stuff you do not know), it's just something I prefer.

In my mind its a sliding scale with bad (numbers) and good (descriptions, or something a bit less precise). That is not to say that it completely ruins the game, or automatically makes a game awesome though (though it can be a very strong influence).

Of course I have no issue with you prefering what you prefer, its all subjective after all. Except your wrong :P

If i'm not mistaken, the total overhaul mod for Skyrim, Requiem removes those numbers entirely.

Im reading the description and there are some very nice things in it (more descriptive perks over numbers. yielding AI that doesnt try to kill you the second you turn around). Will have to look at installing if it doesnt conflict with other mods (so the shared-computer copy doesnt break...)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:03:00 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8245 on: February 18, 2013, 10:28:25 am »

I actually really like Skyrim's magic, though I still regret the loss of spellmaking. Mages in oblivion were incredibly underpowered, enchanting being the only powerful thing they could do. The enemies gained in hitpoints and resistances much faster that a mage could gain in magical damage or magicka efficiency. Morrowind, in contrast, would let you become godlike if you made it past initial rockiness in magic.
What? Magic in Oblivion was OP, I mean, not compared to Morrowind but considered by itself, it was extremely broken. All you had to do was spell stack. Even at high levels on 100% difficulty spell-stacking + alchemy is essentially an instant win in Oblivion. In contrast, destruction in particular is extremely underpowered in Skyrim and is essentially useless for playing on Master difficulty. Comparing any game to Morrowind and saying it is underpowered is kind of crazy since Morrowind has the most broken magic system in any game I've ever played by a ridiculous margin.

There is someone on youtube (ZetaPlays) who is trying to play every single NES, SNES and genesis game made, and he uses a program to select them at random. Most of them are terrable, and it gives you a perspective on earlier gaming (consoles in particular) that many people who grew up loving their NES would never see, the "dark side" of their favourite era of gaming. It is quite interesting.
Also of note is Chrontendo, where a guy plays through every NES game in chronological order. The ratio of good to terrible is exactly what you'd expect, extraordinarily low. We do have an extreme selection bias when it comes to the past.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:37 am »

Im reading the description and there are some very nice things in it (more descriptive perks over numbers. yielding AI that doesnt try to kill you the second you turn around). Will have to look at installing if it doesnt conflict with other mods (so the shared-computer copy doesnt break...)

I am sure it is quite incompatible with several mods.
So yeah, good idea to check it thoroughly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: February 18, 2013, 12:12:51 pm »

Scaling is something that really fucks with a lot of RPGs.  It's one thing that actually really impresses me about Mount & Blade.  You scale up to the point that you can literally stand in the middle of a horde of angry farmers and they won't be able to hurt you.  There's a seriously awesome sense of growing more powerful.  But in the process you also find yourself facing tougher and tougher challenges.  And those challenges are there from the beginning.  They're not scaled in as you play.  You just don't fuck with them until you're ready (which is whenever you decide you are), and that process happens in a somewhat believable fashion.  All sandbox RPG designers should definitely take note.

Oddly enough the modern game I feel that does level scaling the outright best... is Fallout 3. Say what you will about the game, it allowed encounters to get tougher while at the same time making you feel tougher.

Though that isn't really an option for Skyrim... though I guess they could try it for the next game that isn't an MMO (assuming the MMO doesn't end the series)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: February 18, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »

There is someone on youtube (ZetaPlays) who is trying to play every single NES, SNES and genesis game made, and he uses a program to select them at random. Most of them are terrable, and it gives you a perspective on earlier gaming (consoles in particular) that many people who grew up loving their NES would never see, the "dark side" of their favourite era of gaming. It is quite interesting.
Also of note is Chrontendo, where a guy plays through every NES game in chronological order. The ratio of good to terrible is exactly what you'd expect, extraordinarily low. We do have an extreme selection bias when it comes to the past.

I think evolving sensibilities have some part in this.  Our expectations regarding production value and design choices have changed considerably.  Comparing what we enjoy now to what we enjoyed back then, when our expectations were completely different, isn't entirely fair.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: February 18, 2013, 01:57:25 pm »

Triple A
Do any of those 'A's actually stand for something, or is it more like "'A' isn't a good enough letter to describe how awesome our game is so we're using A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM"?

Well, the first thing that pops to my mind when I hear "RPG" is Baldur's Gate, which was based on pen-and-paper Dungeons and Dragons, and obviously had you rolling virtual dice all the fucking time. If you threw a 20-sided die, you could only miss a huge pile of 20-sided dice on a natural 1. From this background, it's kind of odd to think that RPGs should make the numbers less of a thing because, well, I literally equate "RPG" with the numbers. Character skill is independent in some ways of player skill, and that character skill is internally represented as a number.

I suppose you could keep the numbers as parts of the game logic, but hide them from the player, but I don't really see what that would accomplish, besides keeping information from the player. You need to know how good your character is at hitting things with swords, and how good a sword he owns, to make informed decisions about what you should be doing. Should you be fighting this troll, or running away screaming?

What? Magic in Oblivion was OP, I mean, not compared to Morrowind but considered by itself, it was extremely broken. All you had to do was spell stack. Even at high levels on 100% difficulty spell-stacking + alchemy is essentially an instant win in Oblivion. In contrast, destruction in particular is extremely underpowered in Skyrim and is essentially useless for playing on Master difficulty. Comparing any game to Morrowind and saying it is underpowered is kind of crazy since Morrowind has the most broken magic system in any game I've ever played by a ridiculous margin.

Morrowind's magic system felt more like playing the system than the game. The mana pool is small and doesn't regenerate, so you need to either be an atronach or carry a ton of restore magicka potions if you want to use it to actually fight enemies. On the flipside, restore magicka potions aren't too hard to come by, and atronachs can restore their mana by summoning a ghost and baiting it into attacking them. And you need to do some serious grinding to cast any of the bigger spells. It's more tedious and finicky than actually hard to become a powerful mage. :/

Assuming of course you don't exploit alchemy and enchanting. Those two were just straight up broken.
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 896