Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550080 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8325 on: February 20, 2013, 01:45:39 pm »

I remember early in Morrowind in Vivec City that guy in the bar who hates Argonians (I can not remeber many of the specifics - it was quite some time ago). His dialogue will not change even if you are an Argonian, despite the fact that it really should have changed. Stuff like that really gives the feeling that the world and the characters are static and fake. (Vivec City itself looks cool though :P )
Well, I'm sure there was some relations that were changed by your race. Like, in the 'love house' (don't remember the exact name), they didn't accepted khajits and argonians. Also, some of the dunmer houses (telvanni, at least, I'm not sure for redoran) had bad opinion if you weren't a Dunmer, but you could still work it out.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:46 pm »

At least I have a dynamic IP, I can just make a new account. I just won't put up pictures or do anything on there, except download stuff.

Practically the ONLY thing I ever do there.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8327 on: February 20, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »

rofl, I just got banned on Nexus

Because I put up screenshots (that showed no nudity or barely any skin at all, there are WAY worse screenshots on there) of the Monli race found on Loverslab. The reason? My character was "too young" to be up on Nexus. So my entire screenshot collection was removed and I was banned.
Well to be fair, she does look like a 14 year old harlot. A slightly ugly one. Perhaps someone beat her and then starved her.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: February 20, 2013, 03:44:46 pm »

rofl, I just got banned on Nexus

Because I put up screenshots (that showed no nudity or barely any skin at all, there are WAY worse screenshots on there) of the Monli race found on Loverslab. The reason? My character was "too young" to be up on Nexus. So my entire screenshot collection was removed and I was banned.
Well to be fair, she does look like a 14 year old harlot. A slightly ugly one. Perhaps someone beat her and then starved her.

Well, looks are in eye of beholder. So I won't really comment on that. A lot of the people I've shown screenshots to, like her, and then others don't. All personal preference really. I like how she looks, so guess that is what counts. It is like making a book or a movie or something...well...if I published a book (I am working on one), I would hope people like it, but it would be far more important that I like my own book. And if others liked it, great, if not, well...at least I like it :P

However, since I'm at work I can't (well I could, but won't) search...but my friend said he googled and he has found WAY younger looking characters, and far more...exposed (but no nudity)...on Skyrim Nexus that are far more popular and they don't delete them. And he said they are actually rather common.

But I dunno, I haven't actually looked to see if it was true or not.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8329 on: February 20, 2013, 03:56:14 pm »

It's the "rounded, almost chubby" features of the face, it makes it look prepubescent or early teens. Most "young looking" attempts have quite sharp features, giving them a look of ambiguous enough youth to 'pass'.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:04:36 pm by MorleyDev »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: February 20, 2013, 04:07:12 pm »

It's the "rounded, almost chubby" features of the face, it makes it look prepubescent or early teens. Most "young looking" attempts have quite sharp features, giving them a look of ambiguous enough youth to 'pass'.

I've seen top rated screenshots on Nexus of people who made the children in Skyrim as playable, with some edits (different textures)...and about the same amount of cover (in terms of clothes) as mine. Even one dude made his into one to the CBBE body. And I believe they are still up. They were a month or so ago, and were in the top screenshots.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: February 20, 2013, 04:09:04 pm »

Well the only reason I canb think of then, is because the mod was from LL.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: February 20, 2013, 04:12:04 pm »

Well the only reason I canb think of then, is because the mod was from LL.

That is what I've been told after I posted about it on LL. Nexus deletes screenshots of anything that is found on Loverslab, and goes as far as outright banning people that are also part of LL. I did post about that a few pages back, but never had a problem till today.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8333 on: February 20, 2013, 04:13:28 pm »

Basically, what I was saying there is that the old RPGs were better. The RPGs were better and the Scotsmen more true. And saying that makes me feel hella old. :P
I have to heartily disagree. Don't get me wrong, Morrowind is still the best TES in my opinion, but I don't think Daggerfall and especially Arena (which I don't actually like to be honest) stand up to Skyrim. While I'd agree we could use more big budget turn-based RPGs there are plenty of indie ones coming out and we have Project Eternity by Obsidian to look forward to.

Why isn't the game going to take that into account, though? It could take that into account. First-person shooters have been doing that since forever. Moving or shooting makes the next shot less accurate, and staying still and pointing at the target makes the shot more accurate, which is communicated to the player visually with an expanding and contracting targeting reticle. Skyrim doesn't have that, but there's no reason why it couldn't.
The depends on if we're talking about aim sway or arrow deviation. If we're talking aim sway, fine, but for deviation a set up shot under fire is still going to be less accurate than one from the shadows. A miss under those circumstances doesn't prompt me to say "Oh well, I screwed up," it just prompts me to quick load. I've already said I'm ok with aim sway though because that puts targeting under my control.

See, I've never really thought of it as annoying. There are limits to how accurately you can aim a firearm, let alone a bow, and if I miss a shot, I think of that as less "screwed by the RNG" and more "failed to account for the inherent limitations of my weapon". It's the same kind of thing as, I don't know, hammers being sort of slow to swing. If an enemy, in a moment of AI brilliance, manages to scamper away from under my hammer, that's my fault. Not the hammer's.
The problem is that in Morrowind you were screwed by the RNG. There are limits to how accurately you can aim a weapon in game, and misses do happen based solely on the failure of the player. It really depends on how much player input you want to have, I play ARPGs because I enjoy player input. I like tactics and strategy well enough, but I also like action and reflexes and I certainly prefer that experience in an RPG setting (with a good story, developed characters, and ability to actually role-play) to the one in your typical action game.

As said, I haven't played the new Fallout games, and maybe they somehow fucked it up in those. How does it work? I can't remember ever being annoyed by bullet spread in a FPS. ???
There was no aim sway, it was straight up bullet deviation, which was pretty bad at lower skill levels. Some deviation is realistic, but it really takes any skill involved in aiming out if the bullets go completely off target like that. On top of that there was scope sway with scoped weapons.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: February 20, 2013, 05:16:15 pm »

no there was aim sway, try using a hunting revolver at low levels your aim is all over the place, you would also see lots of sway if your arm/s are crippled

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8335 on: February 20, 2013, 05:20:50 pm »

The hunting revolver was scoped though. But you're right, I'd forgotten there was sway on iron sight weapons as well. That just makes the bullet deviation even more unnecessary and frustrating.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: February 20, 2013, 05:29:25 pm »

Have you ever shot a gun under pressure?  There is significant sway.

demonstrated here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr3sGt9L3Hw&feature=player_detailpage#t=16s

The issue could be raise about swords and rolled misses, but. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8337 on: February 20, 2013, 05:29:58 pm »

The problem is that in Morrowind you were screwed by the RNG. There are limits to how accurately you can aim a weapon in game, and misses do happen based solely on the failure of the player. It really depends on how much player input you want to have, I play ARPGs because I enjoy player input. I like tactics and strategy well enough, but I also like action and reflexes and I certainly prefer that experience in an RPG setting (with a good story, developed characters, and ability to actually role-play) to the one in your typical action game.
But there's always RNG. Random damage instead of random miss, but it's still there. It's not player input only (that would be stupid).  Morrowind didn't hide it (and it would have been better if they had, like making an animation for failed attack, or something like that).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: February 20, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »

^^or a dodging system that played out^^  I think they left that part lacking assuming people would understand just how poorly an untrained combatent fights.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:37:42 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8339 on: February 20, 2013, 05:38:45 pm »

But there's always RNG. Random damage instead of random miss, but it's still there. It's not player input only (that would be stupid).  Morrowind didn't hide it (and it would have been better if they had, like making an animation for failed attack, or something like that).
Doing between x and y in a range of damage isn't really the same as doing no damage whatsoever, particularly in sneak attack situations.

Have you ever shot a gun under pressure?  There is significant sway.
I said I was ok with aim sway, it's bullet deviation I disliked.
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 896