Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550134 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8745 on: April 16, 2013, 11:35:44 am »

TES:O doesn't even have real time combat. Its just a cursor on the screen, and you press 1-4 keys...

This part is incorrect. They stated (and people that played demos confirmed) that there will be skyrim-esque combat (mouse 1 to attack, mouse 2 to block).

EDIT: to clarify: You'll do standard attacks with the mouse and presse 1-4 to use abilities.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:47:24 am by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: April 16, 2013, 11:51:15 am »

TES:O doesn't even have real time combat. Its just a cursor on the screen, and you press 1-4 keys...

This part is incorrect. They stated (and people that played demos confirmed) that there will be skyrim-esque combat (mouse 1 to attack, mouse 2 to block).

ah. In the leaked video the guy just pointed his mouse cursor at a target and pressed 1-4. And another video I saw commented on that, but maybe the actual combat is still being developed or something.

But everything else still isn't really like an Elder Scrolls game. And combat isn't really enough, plenty of MMOs have amazing combat and still fail. Like I said, it looked more like DAOC mixed with WoW, just a typical MMO really. It would have been better to make it more like an Elder Scrolls game, and not just some generic MMO with Elder Scrolls in the title. That is what a lot of people said they wanted, a multiplayer Elder Scrolls. Not Elder Scrolls that can be like any other MMO.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:53:40 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: April 16, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »

I look forward to the whole MMO craze dying out.  It will have to someday.  I mean... how many projects and studios need to fail before people realize that their chances of making the next WoW are next to nothing?

Back in the late 90s, I was incredibly excited about the prospects of massively multiplayer format, but the way they've developed just pisses me off.  Not only the game industry in general, but the prospects for maturation of the MMO format will benefit when interest in them finally dies down.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: April 16, 2013, 04:42:27 pm »

For that matter, I can't really stand WoW. The gameplay, the aesthetic, the world, the feel, everything. So many MMO's try to copy WoW, going as far as to use the aesthetic (big dudes with enormous armor and tiny heads, oversaturated colors, vaguely cartoony faces that just look ugly) to try to trick people into thinking it's the real thing. This turns me off MMO's in general

What many developers don't realize is that the market for games that look and feel like WoW is already entirely encompassed by WoW, thus WoW players will not leave their game for an (even) shallower lookalike.

That said, I don't know if it's another WoW clone. From the little we get to see, and from what the beta testers say, it sounds a lot more like DCUO, which isn't necessarily bad but they've got to have more content and depth than the 30 or so hours worth of fun in DCUO. I'm willing to take a look before I pass judgement.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: April 16, 2013, 05:40:47 pm »

So many MMO's try to copy WoW, going as far as to use the aesthetic (big dudes with enormous armor and tiny heads, oversaturated colors, vaguely cartoony faces that just look ugly)

...yeah, I'm hoping we don't see too much of that effect.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: April 16, 2013, 05:54:52 pm »

That's more like anime exaggerated (still no fan, but not as bad). I'm talking this kind of aesthetic:

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: April 16, 2013, 09:07:54 pm »

That's more like anime exaggerated (still no fan, but not as bad). I'm talking this kind of aesthetic:

I hope that aethetic dies. I cant stand the absurdly gigantic shoulders/shoulder-armor and the muscles so large that it looks like they drank 10 liters of viniger and bicarb soda. It looks like "HUUURRRRRR, ME STRONG!"
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:33 pm »

I hope that aethetic dies. I cant stand the absurdly gigantic shoulders/shoulder-armor and the muscles so large that it looks like they drank 10 liters of viniger and bicarb soda. It looks like "HUUURRRRRR, ME STRONG!"

That's pretty much the personality orcs usually have, though.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with huge armor like that in fantasy - it's not supposed to mimic the real world, so it doesn't have to be realistic. If someone is strong enough to wear armor that ridiculously huge then there's absolutely no reason not to, I'm sure it's much stronger than conventional armor. It certainly looks cooler. :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: April 16, 2013, 11:43:28 pm »

I'll generally agree with that, but add that it should not be the universal standard that it seems to have become. It's okay to have it exist, it's just irritating when it's definitive of a genre.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: April 16, 2013, 11:49:01 pm »

I'm not complaining about it because it's unrealistic, I'm complaining about it because it looks stupid. Literally. The proportions of the shoulder pads, eliminating the neck, and the hands, larger than the face, make the head look tiny. This, combined with the head usually being mostly or entirely unarmored, suggests that the head is the least important part of the body, glorifying stupidity and brute force as the best characteristics. Everyone's armor looks like this (except the females, who have their own gratuitous and stupid-centric proportions), not just the orcs (or locusts).

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: April 16, 2013, 11:55:45 pm »

That's pretty much the personality orcs usually have, though.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with huge armor like that in fantasy - it's not supposed to mimic the real world, so it doesn't have to be realistic. If someone is strong enough to wear armor that ridiculously huge then there's absolutely no reason not to, I'm sure it's much stronger than conventional armor. It certainly looks cooler. :P

But I dont see why orcs having that personality implies they should have such ridiculously oversized muscles. Its not like they are "fairly" muscular either. They are ridiculously muscular. Ontop of that, from a personal POV, I do not like that personality and thus don't like orcs.

I dont expect anything to mimic the real world. I can deal with exaggeration to an extent. I don't think the gears of war image looks too bad for example. But that first image looks just outright silly to me. As in "clowns packed into a small car" silly. No one is strong enough to wear the armor in the first image, not even close. just think how thick the metal would be between the armor and the person and how much that would weigh. Not to forget that his arms and legs would have to be substantially longer.

It probably comes back to me prefering character aesthetics that are less brutish and more... "weak" (or at least, not a super-ripped enemy-mass-murdering machine).

Its all my opinion though. I understand that people like the aesthetic and thats fine. Its just really not for me.

I'm not complaining about it because it's unrealistic, I'm complaining about it because it looks stupid. Literally. The proportions of the shoulder pads, eliminating the neck, and the hands, larger than the face, make the head look tiny. This, combined with the head usually being mostly or entirely unarmored, suggests that the head is the least important part of the body, glorifying stupidity and brute force as the best characteristics. Everyone's armor looks like this (except the females, who have their own gratuitous and stupid-centric proportions), not just the orcs (or locusts).

Yes, this. characters drawn like this look thuggy and dumb. I'd rather be the guy making fun of the big-dumb thug rather than the big-dumb thug itself.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: April 17, 2013, 12:01:42 am »

It's true that the idea of the head being unarmored is stupid, that kinda goes under "unrealistic", just like females warriors wearing basically nothing. The main point is that it looks good, and taste is relative. I personally think huge armor with stupidly large shoulder pads looks cool. It wouldn't fit Skyrim's otherwise realistic universe at all, but in any other game I would have no problem with it.

But I dont see why orcs having that personality implies they should have such ridiculously oversized muscles. Its not like they are "fairly" muscular either. They are ridiculously muscular. Ontop of that, from a personal POV, I do not like that personality and thus don't like orcs.

I dont expect anything to mimic the real world. I can deal with exaggeration to an extent. I don't think the gears of war image looks too bad for example. But that first image looks just outright silly to me. As in "clowns packed into a small car" silly. No one is strong enough to wear the armor in the first image, not even close. just think how thick the metal would be between the armor and the person and how much that would weigh. Not to forget that his arms and legs would have to be substantially longer.

It probably comes back to me prefering character aesthetics that are less brutish and more... "weak" (or at least, not a super-ripped enemy-mass-murdering machine).

Its all my opinion though. I understand that people like the aesthetic and thats fine. Its just really not for me.

Well, it is fantasy after all. In a world where magic is commonplace I wouldn't be surprised to see people strong enough to wear armor like that. If someone's whole life is about fighting and training then surely it would have some effect.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:28 am »

It's not about logistics or physics. It's about the look and feel, the themes and philosophy, that the look of the setting entails. The fact that most MMO's copy the WoW aesthetic means pretty much any male we're supposed to think is cool looks like the hulk, and puts forward Might Makes Right and "Durr, smash de eggheads an fags!"

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: April 17, 2013, 12:47:10 am »

Fun fact: In Morrowind and Oblivion (?) Nords, not Orcs, were the race of the lowest base intelligence score.

Take that, Hitler!  8)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: April 17, 2013, 01:18:12 am »

Don't be throwing Warhammer 40K in with World of Warcraft and Gears of War. Notice how the WH40K armor is like, twice as large? Obscenely large? Surely you realize... WH40K knows that it's stupid. It's the other guys who are out of touch.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 896