Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559203 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8940 on: June 06, 2013, 03:40:59 pm »

So I played this a bit aaages ago and sort of got through a bit, but then didn't have the time to play and forgot about it.
Anyway, giving Skyrim another shot and playing as an duel wielding Altmer focusing on conjuration for weapons and alteration for defense. So far early game has been somewhat easy on expert, with few things standing up to my banishing blades of soul snatching.

Just wondering, is this one of those strategies that starts to suck once things get harder and you can't really upgrade your weapons unless you switch to non-conjured swords and then all those points were wasted?
Vanilla magic does not scale with level or skill. You get more mana and heavier spells, but the damage never changes. Personally I enjoy SkyRe for this reason (and many others). It causes magic damage to scale with level and has damage boosting perks to boost it further if you specialize. Also it removed the incredibly cheap stunlock destruction.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:36 pm »

yea i just use empowered magic and Penderex's Magic system to overhaul all of that

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: June 06, 2013, 04:10:43 pm »

Vanilla magic does not scale with level or skill. You get more mana and heavier spells, but the damage never changes. it removed the incredibly cheap stunlock destruction

What it did was because higher level spells were not better in any way to lower level spells (In fact they cost more for less effect) it means you stuck to your level 2 spells (Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Ice Spikes... or whatever they are called).

As well the "Cheap stunlock" is not so cheap in vanilla because otherwise destruction falls WAAAAY behind everything else.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8943 on: June 06, 2013, 04:13:32 pm »

The stunlock ability was incredibly cheap and far too effective. To the point where that one trait could make you able to take on something that would murder you without it. One trait should not have that large of an impact.

In SkyRe I believe they gave it a % chance to stun instead, so its a nice thing when it happens but not an overpowered ability which kills anything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: June 06, 2013, 04:21:17 pm »

The stunlock ability was incredibly cheap and far too effective. To the point where that one trait could make you able to take on something that would murder you without it. One trait should not have that large of an impact.

In SkyRe I believe they gave it a % chance to stun instead, so its a nice thing when it happens but not an overpowered ability which kills anything.

You would eventually run out of mana unless you used an exploit though. Which if you used a bow, sword, or just about anything else you would have done a lot more damage.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8945 on: June 06, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »

You would eventually run out of mana unless you used an exploit though. Which if you used a bow, sword, or just about anything else you would have done a lot more damage.
My first playthrough of this game was as a destruction mage. With the gear they give you for joining the college plus the first level fire bolt spell dual cast you can cast for a long long time. Long enough to either kill or escape from almost anything the game's leveled system throws at you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: June 06, 2013, 04:32:06 pm »

Yes but remember it doesn't scale. Eventually magic will start doing piddling damage.

But with a mod that scales destruction magic, removing the stun would be necessary.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8947 on: June 06, 2013, 06:05:48 pm »

Yes but remember it doesn't scale. Eventually magic will start doing piddling damage.

But with a mod that scales destruction magic, removing the stun would be necessary.
Which... the mod I suggests does do. It adds scaling and removes the stun. My statement was that the stun is overpowered for what it does, which is to stun any enemy, and that statement stands regardless of what level you are. No single skill should be able to stunlock something regardless of whether you have the mana to keep it up.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: June 06, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »

The monsters have a level cap too, though. People who claim Destruction magic sucks at higher levels on vanilla either haven't played a mage to max level or did it wrong. The damage doesn't scale, but perk investments do increase it significantly. With the right mage gear, you have essentially infinite magicka in 1 or two schools and pretty much the others too due to fast regeneration. Chain lightning in both hands will clear a room pretty fast, and Ice Storm is the most overpowered thing, ever.

Ice storm moves slowly, but it's projectile is very wide and the slowness actually enables it to do more damage. Additionally, it phases right through any obstacle, hitting enemies in other rooms, and if you cast one from each hand in rapid succession (not dual cast) it will kill pretty much anything except Frost Atronachs, Ice Wraiths, or Falmer.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:43 pm »

With the right mage gear, you have essentially infinite magicka

Yeah but I consider those the "destroy the game utterly in everyway" gear and not meant to be balanced.

Especially since infinite mana with Conjuration is also broken.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: June 06, 2013, 10:29:15 pm »

Just a decent buff to magicka regeneration and some perks makes magicka supply hardly an issue, really. I'd say in Vanilla it's far from underpowered.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: June 11, 2013, 12:22:18 pm »

So, Elder Scrolls Online news because this might explain a lot: ESO will be available not only on PC, but PS4 and XBOX One as well. I guess that might explain how Zenimax expects their MMO to sell while being somewhat late in the MMO party.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: June 11, 2013, 12:28:44 pm »

I'm playing this again! I now plan to be an unarmed badass.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:48 pm »

I was waiting for Isran to open the gates. However, it seemed the game had glitched, and he wouldn't open them.

Fortunately, setting Isran on fire with my voice was an acceptable substitute for talking to him. He opened the gates, too!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: June 12, 2013, 01:52:29 am »

I'm playing this again! I now plan to be an unarmed badass.

Yes, it's pretty nice to play this way

I was waiting for Isran to open the gates. However, it seemed the game had glitched, and he wouldn't open them.

Fortunately, setting Isran on fire with my voice was an acceptable substitute for talking to him. He opened the gates, too!

We should try setting more people on fire.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 896