Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550081 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8955 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:33 am »

Hey guys, found this little mod lying around http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28324/? changes leveling to XP design so now get rewarded for doing quests with points and use them to gain skills!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: June 12, 2013, 04:11:33 am »

Ooh, I did like OblivionXP!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: June 12, 2013, 12:14:43 pm »

Ooh, I did like OblivionXP!
pretty much though is isnt designed like that (hopefully soon though) uses spell scripts but it works well.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: June 12, 2013, 09:38:47 pm »

I hope someone figures out how to do GUI menus...

Hmm, I recently started playing Dark Souls, and they do something interesting there: you get points that serve both as currency and XP.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: June 12, 2013, 09:46:22 pm »

That's an interesting idea. I suppose there's not any reason skills and items actually have to be distinct entities, other than convention.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: June 13, 2013, 02:05:41 am »

The tabletop I'm currently playing with some friends uses a system like that. Items use the same points, and any ability that you can have, an item can have. The only difference is that the point cost for items is halved, because they can be removed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: June 13, 2013, 04:11:57 am »

The tabletop I'm currently playing with some friends uses a system like that. Items use the same points, and any ability that you can have, an item can have. The only difference is that the point cost for items is halved, because they can be removed.

Sounds like the Amber RPG, which is a pretty cool diceless system.  Played a character in a decently long-running campaign through that system who was mostly item-based.  Most fun character I've ever played.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: June 13, 2013, 08:06:32 am »

Though that system does have some interesting effects. One of the characters in our group has an item that uses up a third of her total points, which grants the user near godlike powers. This character joined the dark side last game. I calculated that, for a standard attack, my character can remove that item with a 50% success rate.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: June 13, 2013, 07:51:20 pm »

Hey guys, found this little mod lying around http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28324/? changes leveling to XP design so now get rewarded for doing quests with points and use them to gain skills!
Neat. I may have to try that out.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: June 13, 2013, 08:05:47 pm »

If there is still one quest that drives me crazy in this game

It is definitely the Orphanage one.

There are SOO many solutions but the game doesn't let you do any of them! It is the one mission where the railroading is the most obvious.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: June 13, 2013, 08:21:44 pm »

Yes specifically that one.

It is MADE of "there should be other solutions" but you can take none of them.

I mean there are missions where there is no alternative but where the basic set of solutions are pretty limited anyhow... You either kill the evil lich or you kill the evil lich... How you go about doing it is just details.

Yet "assassinate Grelod the Kind One" is actually quite odd in that it has a wide set of solutions one COULD try, very sensible ones in fact, and yet the game never lets you do any of them.

You could try to buy the orphanage from Grelod, denounce her as too abusive and get her fired or at least lose her ability to run an orphanage, Get her assistant to stand up and take the orphanage from her, take the children away at night, and yet none of the sensible solutions are allowed.

This is like if you got the "kill the Lich" quest and instead being able to... well... Kill him, you had to buy his pottery business because it was the source of his power.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:02:04 pm by Neonivek »

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »

On the other hand, Grelod is just a genuinely awful person, so why wouldn't you chokeslam her straight to hell?
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: June 13, 2013, 10:06:04 pm »

On the other hand, Grelod is just a genuinely awful person, so why wouldn't you chokeslam her straight to hell?

Because it doesn't seem like it actually solves the real underlying problems and it generates more of them.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: June 13, 2013, 10:29:51 pm »

The problem that Grelod the Kind is abusing the children?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:14 pm »

The problem that Grelod the Kind is abusing the children?

Yet what was the deeper problems?
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 896