Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558825 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9030 on: July 03, 2013, 01:42:08 am »

Yeah, set between the fall of the Akaviri Potentate and the rise of Tiber Septim. It's done some stupid shit with the lore already, the best example being calling Cyrodiil's change from being called "[an] endless jungle" in Redguard to a generic fantasyland a "clerical error", even though it's fairly explicitly said to have been changed to that by Tiber Septim.

Relevant quotes from those citations:

Many-Headed Talos:

"I see how you hate jungle. Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. "

Mythic Dawn Commentaries Part 3:

CHIM. Those who know it can reshape the land. Witness the home of the Red King Once Jungled.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:12:05 am by Putnam »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: July 03, 2013, 02:31:43 am »

They're retconning that AGAIN??
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: July 03, 2013, 04:24:01 am »

Yes, because apparently everyone was on equal levels of morality, since everyone had slaves, and the Tiber just decided one day to kill all the elves. Cause, you know, Men perpetrated equally horrific slave regimes as the Aylieds. At least, according to him.
I thought slavery was forbidden under the Empire, except in Morrowind, because it was traditionnal for Dunmers ?
It sure ain't legal nowadays.

* da_nang hisses and sharpens his claws and spear
The Dunmer got paybacked big time for that with Vvardenfell blowing up and smogging up the place and the damn lizard peoples taking all their lands.
Glorious 2nd Arnesian War. If only that big floating rock hadn't decided to wreck our stuff we would've thrown a party too.

I like how a hardened ball of earth the size of a large house hovering about three stories above the sea wiped out all of Vvardenfell. Such a well-crafted twist! :P

As for the welfare of the TES series... In my opinion, it began with Morrowind (everything before that was batshit D&D 4th edition pulp fiction scribble) and ended with your favorite mod. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Marchosias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: July 03, 2013, 04:55:07 am »

Its not that it just fell as is straight downward under the effect of normal gravity, its that it continued its fall from orbit, where a deadra threw it from the sky at the dunmer, and that it just so happened to crash into and set off an island volcano the size of vvardenfell; which is the setting for its own open world game you can spend years roaming around without seeing everything to see.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: July 03, 2013, 05:00:38 am »

That floating rock had some ridiculous ammount of kinetic energy upon falling cince it was held in place by magic.
Then the spell stopped working it continued it supersonic jurney towards the town turning the entire area into a smoking crater.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: July 03, 2013, 05:01:55 am »

Its not that it just fell as is straight downward under the effect of normal gravity, its that it continued its fall from orbit, where a deadra threw it from the sky at the dunmer, and that it just so happened to crash into and set off an island volcano the size of vvardenfell; which is the setting for its own open world game you can spend years roaming around without seeing everything to see.

If I understand what you're saying, the ministry of failure was thrown from the sky by a daedra, and though Vivec (supposedly) halted it, it retained it's moment, crashing into Vvardenfell at it's former full speed once it's fall resumed..?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: July 03, 2013, 05:03:43 am »

where a deadra threw it from the sky at the dunmer

It was Sheogorath, specifically.

Also, apparently it was "fooled" into doing that. Also, it's the child of Molag Bal and Vivec, at least, so sayeth Vivec.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: July 03, 2013, 06:08:56 am »

where a deadra threw it from the sky at the dunmer

It was Sheogorath, specifically.

Also, apparently it was "fooled" into doing that. Also, it's the child of Molag Bal and Vivec, at least, so sayeth Vivec.

And yes once it started moving again it regained full speed from the moment it got halted.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: July 03, 2013, 06:15:12 am »

Vivec, that divine jerk, found use in the ministry of truth as a way to blackmail his people.

Vivec: "I shall keep [Baar Dau] there with its last intention intact, so that if the love of the people of this city for me ever disappear, so shall the power that holds back their destruction."

It probably was in his power to prevent the inevitable disaster, but he chose not to.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:55 am »

Yes, because apparently everyone was on equal levels of morality, since everyone had slaves, and the Tiber just decided one day to kill all the elves. Cause, you know, Men perpetrated equally horrific slave regimes as the Aylieds. At least, according to him.
I thought slavery was forbidden under the Empire, except in Morrowind, because it was traditionnal for Dunmers ?
It sure ain't legal nowadays.

* da_nang hisses and sharpens his claws and spear
The Dunmer got paybacked big time for that with Vvardenfell blowing up and smogging up the place and the damn lizard peoples taking all their lands.
Glorious 2nd Arnesian War. If only that big floating rock hadn't decided to wreck our stuff we would've thrown a party too.

I like how a hardened ball of earth the size of a large house hovering about three stories above the sea wiped out all of Vvardenfell. Such a well-crafted twist! :P
Note that the rock I mentioned isn't Baar Dau. That one wrecked the Dunmer's stuff, not ours. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: July 03, 2013, 01:28:00 pm »

I knew I shouldn't have let the Adoring Fan pick up Umbra...

It's entirely possible that the whole "reshape the jungle" thing was propoganda in the first place, Tiber Septim building a god-emperor rep a la Napoleon. Mankar Cameron, though 400 something years old, wasn't around back then, so for all he's research he's still taking someone else's word for it. But such is the canon of TES, full of retcons and de-retcons and freaking dragonbreaks.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Marchosias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: July 03, 2013, 05:05:50 pm »

Retcons have to happen, its an open world game series where in the pre-Morrowind installments shit was crazy random amounts of dnd crap, and everything after is based on choices of the player; hell Skyrim had centaurs and not a single damn one the whole way through the second instance of it in a game not even mention of any.

Also Oblivion era game engine could not handle a jungle if it wanted tolet alone thousands of random jungle trees, Skyrim can bearly handle more then 15 people in one cell, and have you tried to play that one mod that had Elsweyr; jungles are hard to navigate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9042 on: July 16, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »

So...

I just finished that STEP process. It took several hours to get everything installed the way I wanted, and I added a few more mods to boot. In fact I'm sitting at 289 mods total.

Now, I'm looking for something to do. I'd like to do a themed playthrough or LP of the game, but need some ideas or suggestions. Artificial limitations, hardcore objectives(Complete the game using unarmed?), interesting themes(run a bandit camp?), whatever. Any ideas?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: July 16, 2013, 10:20:40 pm »

So...

I just finished that STEP process. It took several hours to get everything installed the way I wanted, and I added a few more mods to boot. In fact I'm sitting at 289 mods total.

Now, I'm looking for something to do. I'd like to do a themed playthrough or LP of the game, but need some ideas or suggestions. Artificial limitations, hardcore objectives(Complete the game using unarmed?), interesting themes(run a bandit camp?), whatever. Any ideas?

While I'm not sure how interesting an LP it would be but...no fast travel except by wagon. And if by wagon, you've already visited the location in the past. However, people may not want to see you run and run and run. So if you decide to use fast travel. Its to a place you've already visited.

No floating quest markers, optional: no quest markers at all (but doesn't really work too well in Skyrim sadly)

No compass, use the surroundings/stars/sun/moon to find your location or the map...either way. I usually just turn the compass off, and its much more immersive with it gone. Optional: If you use a map, its in a city/town/village/camp

Minimal UI (kind of goes with no compass. Would need SkyUI I believe to turn off a lot of the Skyrim HUD.)

The above are more for immersion than anything. Some don't work as well as they did in old Elder Scrolls games (like quests don't have any details at all) and may not go too well for a Let's Play...but they are ideas anyway.

For a less cheating way to go. Never save in a dungeon, can save outside it...but not inside. Plus that awesome sword you found may not be there if you died ;P

And don't save every minute lol. Personally, when I watch a Let's Play and the guy saves all the time, I'm probably gonna just turn it off and an immediate thumbs down. Pet peeve of mine is when someone saves every 3-5 minutes doing anything in the game. Saw a guy who is really popular on Youtube, save each time before lockpicking in Skyrim lol. He ran out of lockpicks, and...reloaded...I lolled hard, disliked the video and turned it off.

For characters/themes/objectives. I personally like the average joe type of play throughs. PC gamer did an interesting one of the character just never fighting at all. Or something. Don't remember the exact details now. Actually, the title of the series was "Most boring playthrough of Skyrim"...or something like that. My memory sucks :P Made an interesting read. But, just being an average-type character is far more interesting (and fun)...at least for me.. Or at the very least, start as an average joe type character and become (willingly or maybe not) a hero (or even anti-hero, that would be different. Dunno how one would do that in Skyrim) or something. That can be being a bandit (they are kinda average, nothing special about them besides being criminals :P) or a hunter in the wilderness. Or something. Just some ideas I'm throwing out.

Or even be allied to the altmer, and rid Skyrim of the religion of Talos and any who worship him. I don't think I've actually seen a play through like that, but maybe there is one out there. Every play through I've personally seen, everyone always hates the altmer and kills them on sight. So may be a different way to go.

Well before this gets too long and I keep typing ideas...I'll just leave it at that. Hope any of my ideas give you ideas or help you :)

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9044 on: July 16, 2013, 10:48:57 pm »

Liking your ideas. Might do an LP as an altmer agent under cover with strict role playing restrictions. Know a good survival/basic needs plugin? Looking at frostfall and 'realistic needs'.

No fast travel, no 'waiting' more than an hour or two, always in disguise when in town, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 896