Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550105 times)

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9120 on: July 21, 2013, 07:06:46 pm »

Pfft... real life is 100% lens flare. And every time you go outside you're blinded before impressive opening music sounds off, closely followed by "Achievement Unlocked". You guys should go outside more.
You get an achievement for going outside?!  If I had known that, I would have went out ages ago!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: July 21, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »

... and have you tried to play that one mod that had Elsweyr; jungles are hard to navigate.
Actually that mod has serious issues with level design.  Like how when you first appear in Elsweyr, you face a big' ol door.  I went through that door, thinking it was a big shiny entrance to Elseweyr, it turned out to be the way to Skyrim.  The direction a player is facing is extremely important, a player can get lost if the level design points them in the wrong direction.

Also note how many unclimbable rocks and roots there are.  Skyrim is non-linear in a lot of ways, sure you have a destination but a lot of ways to get there.  The mod more or less created a very linear experience, in a suffocating environment, with limited ways to get around.  It's a big accomplishment, but needed better level design.

Suffocating environment with limited ways to get around sounds like a realistic jungle to me.

Seriously bad level design coupled with poor spelling and grammar absolutely broke immersion for me. I know northern Elsweyr is somewhat jungled, and southern Elsweyr is desert, but I'd've loved to visit the desert outside of a single interior cell.
Script wise, that Elsweyr mod is just a big dungeon that is attached to an inn.

If you want a decent new lands mod, go for Falskaar. Decent voice acting, superb scripting, and yet even more.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: July 22, 2013, 03:04:00 am »

Quick, someone throw me a screenshot that still looks realistic after just returning from a camping trip to Yellowstone!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: July 22, 2013, 04:01:30 am »

I've uninstalled ENB due to conflicts with my ATI card, but I'll supply what I got.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: July 22, 2013, 07:06:09 pm »

After 6-7 hours of making my character, Isabella. I think she came out great. :)

That does not include all my previous character attempts in the past, which add many many hours of character customizations :P I probably have over half my total game time just making characters lol. But that is what I find fun in games that allow good customization. But Isabella is pretty much my favorite character I've made and won't be doing anymore changes (except maybe eye shadow), so now I'm at the stage of...having lots of fun taking screenshots. :)

Here she is.

http://i.imgur.com/6KE2FdG.jpg

or for an embedded (large) image

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: July 24, 2013, 04:43:47 am »

Landfall.

Quote from: Michael Kirkbride
When Landfall happens, you guys will do a spit-take like Bail Organa did when the Death Star showed up above Alderaan.

so, uh, WTF?

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: July 24, 2013, 06:22:32 am »

Quick, someone throw me a screenshot that still looks realistic after just returning from a camping trip to Yellowstone!

I admit I'm a bit soft-skinned, I took that to heart. Analogical to gray- and brown-toning in videogames and movies, over-saturation is a common technique to make photographs look more appealing. (2 reverences for my statement: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50147422 http://photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00RM1w)

Let's examine this one for example: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/267524//?
I've seriously only ever seen water this blue at Yellowstone National Park. Clean mountain brooks appear clear. With time a river quickly collects sediments making every river I've seen an unappealing brown. The only time a river appears blue is when it reflects a blue sky.
Backing my claims with photos obiviously'd be foolish..
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: July 24, 2013, 12:36:39 pm »

Okay, but where's a screenshot that still looks believable to me with the memories of Yellowstone fresh in my mind?

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: July 24, 2013, 12:48:31 pm »

http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/3434981-1330047631.jpg

Okay you're right, the color palette of Eastmarch's hot springs suck. Also, I was utterly disappointed the first time I accidently fell into a hot spring and didn't immediatey die.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: July 24, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »

The terraces look pretty good, but the water should be a different color and those trees should be bleached.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: July 24, 2013, 04:59:35 pm »

Seem to be having issues getting Duel Wield redux patcher to work as it croaks when it starts touching JaySUS.esm i would like to use it since for some odd reason my body mod defaults to swords on back.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: July 24, 2013, 05:34:19 pm »

Skyrim arithmetic:

Skyrim, Dragonborn, Clearing the Temple catatombs, Modded with STEP, ASIS and ACE
  Khajiit Vampire, Level 20 Armorless Lightning Mage
  Close Quarters, No Maneuverability, Ungodly Number of Ash Spawns
  Lydia
+___________________________________________________________________________
  Constant Death

SO. MUCH. FIRE.

Fire Atronach's useless, Frost Atronach lasts mere seconds, Seeker even less and there's nothing to reanimate. Stoneflesh slashes magicka pool with a bloody scythe, Impact Lightning Bolt deals only ~10-20 percentage points of damage and lasts only 4-5 bolts before magicka pool dries up. Ebony Sword with 15 Shock damage deals mediocre damage and Lydia keeps dying.

TO OBLIVION WITH YOU ASH SPAWNS OF DAGOTH UR! I'LL BRING AN ARMY OF FOLLOWERS WITH ME NEXT TIME! WITH FULL BLOODY ARMOR AND ROARING APPETITES! FOR BLOOD!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:22:22 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: July 24, 2013, 06:43:34 pm »

Lydia's way too squishy to be tanking ash spawns. You need one of the orcs from the tribal villages in as heavy armor as you can get them.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:49 pm »

I was thinking of hiring Stenvar, he used to do quite good as a tank back in the vanilla days. Then again, he favors two-handed weapons. That and there's still an ungodly number of ash spawns. I need more tanks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:13:12 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: July 24, 2013, 07:17:58 pm »

I was thinking of hiring Stenvar, he used to do quite good as a tank back in the vanilla days. Then again, he favors two-handed weapons. That and there's still an ungodly number of ash spawns. I need more tanks.

Orcs get a bonus to Block and Heavy Armor iirc. Most warriors, 1h or 2h style have at least two points in Juggernaut. Modded companions may come in handy here:

Vilja - at higher levels, she can cast a heal player spell when she detects you're on about 25% hp. With heavy armor, a shield and a sword, she's a moderately good tank. Poor damage output. But best thing of all: she doesn't take up the vanilla follower's slot.

Cerwiden - Squishy as all heck. Also a healer, more effective than Vilja in that regard, but has little offense.

Hoth - He's a two-handed warrior, so he doesn't make a particularly good tank. His armor is unchangeable too. Decent damage output and good HP too.

Atvir Dres - Dual-wield warrior, glass cannon in the extreme. Iirc, he wears light armor and has 5/5 Armsman, so provided he doesn't get staggered, he rips foes into pieces in half a second. He's grouchy, though - hit him with one too many spells in combat and he'll turn on you.

Of course, I could always make a modded character for you and place him/her in an easy to reach area with 5/5 Juggernaut and focus on HP.

Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 896