Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549958 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9525 on: December 16, 2013, 08:21:36 pm »

Hah, missed the bit where hammerfell pushed 'em out. Thought there was still contention on the southern coast or something.

But yes chivalry & noble damsels. That's like bonus points.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:27:04 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: December 16, 2013, 09:30:28 pm »

Hah, missed the bit where hammerfell pushed 'em out. Thought there was still contention on the southern coast or something.

No, chivalry and believing a man's word over a woman's. Even to the point of suicide.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: December 16, 2013, 10:49:17 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the woman is lying out her teeth.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: December 16, 2013, 10:57:44 pm »

Overchivalrous, mind you.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9529 on: December 16, 2013, 11:34:22 pm »

No, chivalry and believing a man's word over a woman's. Even to the point of suicide.

Er, that's not adhering to the common definition of chivalry. They like the ladies. Here's some pertinent bits from wikipedia:

The Knight's Code of Chivalry was a moral system that stated all knights should protect others who can not protect themselves, such as widows, children, and elders. All knights needed to have the strength and skills to fight wars in the Middle Ages; they not only had to be strong but they were also extremely disciplined and were expected to use their power to protect the weak and defenseless.

Knights vowed to be loyal, generous, and "of noble bearing". Knights were required to tell the truth at all times and always respect the honour of women. Knights not only vowed to protect the weak but also vowed to guard the honor of all fellow knights. They always had to obey those who were placed in authority and were never allowed to refuse a challenge from an equal. Knights lived by honor and for glory. Knights were to fear God and maintain His Church. Knights always kept their faith and never turned their back on a foe. Knights despised pecuniary reward. They persevered to the end in any enterprise begun

When examining medieval literature, chivalry can be classified into three basic but overlapping areas:

1.    Duties to countrymen and fellow Christians: this contains virtues such as mercy, courage, valor, fairness, protection of the weak and the poor, and in the servant-hood of the knight to his lord. This also brings with it the idea of being willing to give one’s life for another’s; whether he would be giving his life for a poor man or his lord.
2.    Duties to God: this would contain being faithful to God, protecting the innocent, being faithful to the church, being the champion of good against evil, being generous and obeying God above the feudal lord.
3.    Duties to women: this is probably the most familiar aspect of chivalry. This would contain what is often called courtly love, the idea that the knight is to serve a lady, and after her all other ladies. Most especially in this category is a general gentleness and graciousness to all women.

These three areas obviously overlap quite frequently in chivalry, and are often indistinguishable.

Different weight given to different areas produced different strands of chivalry:

1.    warrior chivalry, in which a knight's chief duty is to his lord, as exemplified by Sir Gawain in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and The Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnelle
2.    religious chivalry, in which a knight's chief duty is to protect the innocent and serve God, as exemplified by Sir Galahad or Sir Percival in the Grail legends.
3.    courtly love chivalry, in which a knight's chief duty is to his own lady, and after her, all ladies, as exemplified by Sir Lancelot in his love for Queen Guinevere or Sir Tristan in his love for Iseult

Ladies fell into the 'ladies' & 'weaklings' categories. A Noble lady would additionally fall into the 'authority' category. And as I said, those men were clearly ruffians! Did you see their foreign, mud-besmirched clothing?! And their traipsing about the countryside hunting a woman?! Why the brigands are no more than spineless vermin that crawl and slither through the undergrowth!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9530 on: December 17, 2013, 12:39:29 am »

Yes, but a lying woman is hardly qualified, is she, and if you can't trust a man claiming to be an honorable warrior, who can you trust?

Just for fun, my second RP playthrough was an orc woman. With a martial arts mod installed. No weapons or armor allowed, just went with a plain grey robe. Never finished that playthrough, but clearing out Bleak Falls was immensely fun.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: December 17, 2013, 01:50:43 am »

Was anyone else disappointed at the lack of DLC allowing you to fight loads and loads of thalmor? I REALLY wanted to kill those guys, but there's not enough of them to sate my bloodlust for the arrogant pricks.
Yes. Instead we got more Falmer in Dawnguard! Why. Why did that happen. It was supposed to be about vampires.

I never did finish Dragonborn, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: December 17, 2013, 01:55:07 am »

The Thalmor aren't even mentioned, don't you worry.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: December 17, 2013, 01:57:29 am »

I should finish it one of these days. I hear there isn't a single Falmer in all of Solstheim. Sounds like paradise.

They were pretty fun when I first encountered them. I got pretty tired of it by the time I'd finished Blackreach. So, Dawnguard was just... echh. Anyway, complaints concluded >________________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9534 on: December 17, 2013, 01:59:59 am »

Pff, Dawnguard gives you Rieklings. What more could you ask for?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9535 on: December 17, 2013, 02:15:51 am »

Pff, Dawnguard gives you Rieklings. What more could you ask for?
i assume you meant dragonborn

and yeah, one of those assholes stole a dragon kill from me :I

and then Miraak stole the dragon's soul!

EDIT: Damn, Battlespire just had a shitload of the weird-ass kind of lore in it...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:01:23 am by Putnam »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: December 17, 2013, 04:48:58 pm »

The Thalmor aren't even mentioned, don't you worry.

Actually, there's a quest where you can tell them to GTFO solstheim/destroy an entire boatload of them. They're there looking for Stalthrim, but the Skal say NOPE.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: December 18, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »

After getting back into this I rediscovered with some dismay that you can't kill children in vanilla.
Darn.
Time to go modhunting.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9538 on: December 18, 2013, 10:59:58 pm »

After getting back into this I rediscovered with some dismay that you can't kill children in vanilla.
Darn.
Time to go modhunting.

Well, it's one of the most popular all-time mods and it's ridiculously straightforward in its name, so you shouldn't have much of an issue.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: December 18, 2013, 11:04:25 pm »

yep that was quick. Now to find that one that let you play as kids...
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 896