Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558465 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9870 on: January 05, 2014, 01:02:18 am »

Apparently, turning off essential NPCs causes some bugs with brawling. I've just killed a man whose only crime was boasting. I'm... I'm sorry. I knew not what I did.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: January 05, 2014, 02:27:33 am »

The MMO was most likely something decided upon by the board of directors at one point.

MMOs can make a LOT of money. But it's really risky. They probably have a large enough financial cushion to take that risk and be able to fall back on their cash cows like Fallout and TES in case things go awry. It's a legitimate business decision.

I still think it'll be garbage, but I can see why they would do it.

If a company was famous for making lemonade, in fact they were the best darn lemonade makers around and everyone around the globe wanted their lemonade and all of a sudden stopped producing lemonade and started manufacturing commercial airliners in a market where there are already people who make good commercial airliners and have been doing so for some time, perfecting the art of making commercial airliners would that be a sound financial decision?

Most people would say no.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: January 05, 2014, 02:30:26 am »

But they didn't stop. They just licensed somebody else to put their brand on a related product. Maybe a Sno-Cone stand or something.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: January 05, 2014, 02:34:52 am »

A jet made out of lemonade shaped like a sno-cone?
I'd buy it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: January 05, 2014, 02:36:02 am »

I'd buy it.

Can you even afford a regular jet?

I'm thinking no...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: January 05, 2014, 02:39:29 am »

I'd buy it.

Can you even afford a regular jet?

I'm thinking no...
Depends on what type and how many people I have to kill/seduce/eat to get it :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: January 05, 2014, 02:45:27 am »

I've been playing Daggerfall recently.

That game does not pressure you about the main quest at all. There aren't even any reminders as long as you stay out of Daggerfall city (which isn't even remotely difficult). Once you get the first quest started (which involves fast traveling to a city you're told of, asking where Brisienna is, then following the directions and talking to her), the game gives you extremely vague directions and you can just do what you want.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: January 05, 2014, 03:12:49 am »

Speaking of suspiciously familiar dungeons...  :P

Eh, the moment that killed my interest in TESO was when I read about their design for wossaname city in the Summerset Isles. If they're going to be that blatantly lazy about it and replace genuinely interesting lore with another squat grey brick city, fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: January 05, 2014, 04:11:07 am »

I don't see how backtracking-free one-way exits are a bad thing. Walking through an empty dungeon and pulling up the map at each intersection is not my idea of fun.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: January 05, 2014, 04:38:48 am »

I don't see how backtracking-free one-way exits are a bad thing. Walking through an empty dungeon and pulling up the map at each intersection is not my idea of fun.
I think there's a tasteful way to do it, and a lot of the times it's just ridiculous how they implement it. Take Halldir's Cairn, for instance, as a good example. There's a cairn with some energy shooting up, you go through the dungeon and end up right above the cairn just open a grate and get back to the entrance. Most the time it's instead just an obvious trap door or an unpickable locked door you walk by as you enter. I'd personally rather they do portals than that because it makes more sense with even less effort.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: January 05, 2014, 04:42:13 am »

...Or just let you fast-travel out of completed dungeons. According to the map screen, the game can tell when you've cleared a place, so why not?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: January 05, 2014, 04:58:47 am »

Personally I really liked the ones that let you out of a totally different, quite obscure exit that you didn't know about beforehand, often on the other side of a mountain.

3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: January 05, 2014, 05:01:12 am »

Those were pretty good, yeah. Though it raises the question of why no-one's ever tried coming in the back way.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: January 05, 2014, 05:06:10 am »

Those were pretty good, yeah. Though it raises the question of why no-one's ever tried coming in the back way.
It's one-way too. Sometimes you have to pull a lever, jump off a little cliff, etc. So, no one can come by that way.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: January 05, 2014, 05:14:00 am »

It's one-way too. Sometimes you have to pull a lever, jump off a little cliff, etc. So, no one can come by that way.
Though it does pose the question: have the people of Skyrim never discovered how to build ladders? Or, often enough, how to stand on someone's shoulders and do a pull-up.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 896