Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558272 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10890 on: June 24, 2014, 02:11:55 pm »

the font should be adjustable in the mod menu

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10891 on: June 24, 2014, 04:47:30 pm »

What I don't like about the vanilla UI is that it's buggy (clicking doesn't always work, sometimes when you click on a word it thinks you clicked somewhere else and closes the menu, etc.) and you have to jump through hoops to get to menus (tab to open menu part 1, click to open menu part 2... magic is over there, inventory is in a different direction, some of the menus are under ESC instead of tab, and I still can't find any general "character" menu to have a look at yourself and stats). SkyUI doesn't fix any of that. It just makes the inventory screen look more like a folder in Windows Explorer, which I can honestly do without.

It's the whole setup I don't like. I want to be able to hit one button and have all the different menu sections on the left with a window on the right to show each section as I select it. If I'm in inventory, I should be able to click "magic" rather than having to go through the whole system again. And there should be basic character information available the second you enter the menu (hp, mp, xp, etc. - I still don't even know how to find these things in the menu). Like... every other game ever. It's logical. It shouldn't take me 3-4 clicks/keystrokes to get from one menu to another. It looks pretty, but it's useless.

SkyUI makes the inventory menu more complicated. I'm sure it adds lots of useful information, but I really don't need that. It doesn't address the issues that I have, and it throws too much information at me at once, so I feel I'm better off without it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: June 24, 2014, 04:57:44 pm »

All of those things (hp, mp, xp etc) are in the "skills" menu.

The UI was designed entirely for console use and was not intended for PC players.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: June 24, 2014, 05:11:24 pm »

All of those things (hp, mp, xp etc) are in the "skills" menu.

The UI was designed entirely for console use and was not intended for PC players.
Console scrub mustard rice.
That being said, sometimes I prefer if I had a mouse instead of a stick to select things.  Eh, I guess in some situations it's mostly preference, but not all.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: June 24, 2014, 10:00:19 pm »

Incidentally, there's also an expanded favorites mod out there that turns into a near-full screen page instead of a tiny little list.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: June 24, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »

I have a big gripe with mods like that. A full screen favorites list? That completely ruins the point!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: June 24, 2014, 10:48:50 pm »

I have a big gripe with mods like that. A full screen favorites list? That completely ruins the point!

Certainly not! It gives you very nice, one-look categorized access to all of your equipment/magic/shouts that you use. It's incredible and pretty much fixes everything Sappho complains about.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: June 24, 2014, 11:00:09 pm »

I'd say the size of the favorites menu isn't the point, but the time it takes to access any particular item or spell on the list.  And while the mod makes it full screen, it also splits everything into categories, and adds a equip set category, where you can have custom sets of equipables, like a fire-spell equip set, or a sword and board set. Using it makes it a lot faster than than scrolling up and down through all your spells to find the weapon you want.

Ninja edit: And what Putnam said.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: June 25, 2014, 12:16:38 am »

To each his own, I thought the point was that it was unobtrusive.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10899 on: June 25, 2014, 03:07:35 am »

What ever happened to just... putting the most important info right on the screen? I mean, my screen is pretty good-sized. There's plenty of room for a little hp bar, a few icons, a quick-access bar... It's always worked in the past, so why doesn't Skyrim have that? They just want to make sure you can see every pixel of the landscape? Look! Snow! And rocks! And more snow and rocks! Isn't it beautiful?

Well, yes, actually, it is pretty beautiful, but it's not so riveting that I can't handle having my most essential information viewable on the screen somewhere. I mean, I apparently spent 2 hours wandering around with an illness because there was no indication that I had one. Now and then someone would ask me if I was feeling okay, but it was a while before I realized I could see status effects by hitting tab, going left, scrolling down, clicking "status effects," and scrolling until I found the one relevant. (Bone Break Fever.) Even then, there was no information given on how to deal with it. I talked to one person who said I should be in bed, so I tried sleeping in a bed a few times. Then back through the menus to check; still there. Finally I decided I'd have to track down a healer, buy a cure disease potion, drink it, and scroll all the way through the menus again to make sure it was gone. It worked, but... I still have almost no information on what happened. What caused this disease? Was there any other way to cure it? Would it go away over time? I still have no idea.

The problem with burying everything in menus is it makes me assume that it's not important. If something is important, I should be aware of it, and that's it. So I'm having a hard time figuring out what I need to do to actually get stronger, stay safe and healthy, etc. Having it set on easy helps, but it's unfortunate that that has to be my fix. Rather than get actually strong and powerful and using good strategy, I have to make the game easier.

My problem isn't with managing equipment. I have zero problems managing my equipment. A full-screen menu detailing everything about my equipment doesn't solve anything for me. It's that essential information is scattered so far all over the place that it's impossible for me to keep track of it. So unless there's a UI fix that changes the Skyrim UI into the Morrowind UI or something similar, I'm just going to have to stick with vanilla.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10900 on: June 25, 2014, 03:47:05 am »

When an animal with disease hits you, and you catch the disease you get a "You have contracted X" message appears in the top left corner. More or less the same thing has happened since Morrowind (Morrowind also displayed active spell effects (buffs/debuffs) so it was a bit more obvious). There's no song and fan fair and ominous trumpets, just an innocuous message, so people seem to miss it.

Incidentally, I believe active buffs/debuffs is something SkyUI does display on the screen for regular gameplay. But only those with timers. Then again I use the Immersive HUD mod too, which hides health bars and the compass and the crosshairs and everything until you take damage or use a spell or aim with a bow or loose fatigue. I like only what's immediately useful to be displayed, no point in showing everything at once. The basic attitude of a programmer, I guess: Hide/Encapsulate what isn't needed at any given moment.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:50:05 am by MorleyDev »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: June 25, 2014, 03:52:34 am »

You can get rid of a disease for free by using a shrine, like the Talos shrine in Whiterun. Also, if you get far enough in the Companions questline or become a vampire, you won't have to worry about diseases.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10902 on: June 25, 2014, 04:25:51 am »

I do agree though, it was nice having the icons on screen so you don't have to go into the menus to find out what ails you. Sometimes companies can go too far in minimalist HUD to the point where it's too simplified.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: June 25, 2014, 05:55:12 am »

-snip-
As people have said, the vanilla UI was designed entirely for consoles.

The main draw of SkyUI is that when you open your inventory, you can instantly get a good look of every item in every category, you won't have to scroll up/down and select the item to see the information.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10904 on: June 25, 2014, 07:15:20 am »

Ugh... I tried SkyUI for about two minutes before removing it. That was somehow even worse, and it lagged every time I tried to open a window. At least with the default UI I can see the items instead of just a big list with small print. It doesn't fix any of the things I actually didn't like about the UI, just removes the ones I liked... : /
You are the only person I have seen that actually prefers the vanilla UI over SkyUI.

I also liked the vanilla UI, though SkyUI does add quite a few features that are helpful, such as it tells me at a glance which books I have/haven't read, which is good because Achieve That! gives you stuff for reading lots of different books (faster enchanting level ups, if you're curious)

Oh and Sappho, as for generally "getting stronger" the idea is simply use whatever skill you want to be better at a lot and it levels up automatically. After enough of those, you get a general level up and can pick a perk and an extra ten health, magicka or stamina.

That's how you do it in vanilla anyway, I have Achieve That! which gives bonuses for lots of different things (they usually make sense too! Supposing you have the "good old days" enabled anyway :P) and also use Dragon Soul Relinquishment, which lets you use those dragon souls for actually useful things XD
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:21:59 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 896