Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558562 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11610 on: November 24, 2014, 12:24:12 pm »

The companions in Skyrim (Uh, A.I followers, not the fighters guild) are a fiddly issue. One the one hand if you make them vulnerable to damage I don't tend to take them because they die to traps, enemies or my own flailing. On the other hand, if they're immortal you can sit back and let them handle the situation.

A resurrection system, or maybe recuperation period (since I don't think resurrect really exists in "The Elder Scrolls") where your follower is out of commission for a period of time (Possibly shortened by your skill in restoration) might work. You could visit them in your house of the temple to heal them with spells or potions.

At the risk of making it too complicated, the followers could accrue injuries until a limit where the next downing kills them. The injuries could be cured by random quests to find a specific cure item in a dungeon somewhere.

Honestly? Followers are already annoying to deal with. Adding micromanagement and/or fetch-quests focused on follower upkeep beyond "Are you at your weight limit, loyal packmule?" would just make it worse IMO.

I normally just stick them in my house, since I play mostly sneaky characters using difficulty-up mods and can't be arsed to deal with followers blowing my cover constantly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: November 25, 2014, 02:18:43 am »

the only time i get a follower in skyrim is to complete a daedric quest.

at one time, i used them as mules, but then i just started using the console to give me oodles of carry capacity.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: November 25, 2014, 04:27:19 am »

Yeah, I do that. If I absolutely must/can't be bothered to make multiple trips I'll use TGM to carry large amounts.

@Knick: Belethor died in my game recently, not sure how. His body was lying near the Whiterun gates so I resurrected him via the console. I think he's still alive but I don't know where he's gone off too as he's thought dead by the game and his stores been transferred over to (I think) his daughter Ysolda. Didn't know that happened, didn't even know he had family but I tend not to talk to people wandering around in case they decide to break out in quest-itis.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11613 on: November 25, 2014, 04:48:18 am »

Wait, you play Skyrim and avoid random sidequests?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: November 25, 2014, 08:25:50 am »

Not really. It's just I know that if I start talking to someone they'll start going on about how their son/daughter is missing and how terrible it is. So many people do that, especially when you pass them in the street. It's more of a roleplay thing that myself personally. My character at the moment is not someone who'd help people with such problems.

"Ever since my son Blah Blah disappeared, things have been so hard... but I just know he's still alive".
"Ever tried mercenary work? It might suit you".
"You should see me when you get bored stranger".

The guy said that last line one too many times. He's now frozen in place, staring off into the distance since I turned his AI off. Been like that for at least 2 in-game months now. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: November 25, 2014, 10:28:12 am »

Yeah, I do that. If I absolutely must/can't be bothered to make multiple trips I'll use TGM to carry large amounts.

@Knick: Belethor died in my game recently, not sure how. His body was lying near the Whiterun gates so I resurrected him via the console. I think he's still alive but I don't know where he's gone off too as he's thought dead by the game and his stores been transferred over to (I think) his daughter Ysolda. Didn't know that happened, didn't even know he had family but I tend not to talk to people wandering around in case they decide to break out in quest-itis.

According to the Wiki, Belethor's Goods remains closed after his death.  I might simply steal everything there, at my convenience, but there is little with any worth.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: November 25, 2014, 12:09:38 pm »

Ysolda has moved in and now runs Belethor's store in my game. From what I'm reading, Ysolda does this for either Belethor's Store or the Bannered Mare if Hulda is killed.

I have a feeling I've seen this action done before by a different NPC but I'm not sure where.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11617 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:14 pm »

There are quite a few stores that have designated successors if the original owner is killed. For example Camilla will take over the Riverwood Trader if Lucan is killed. Some of them were bugged in that the new owner never actually went to the store to run it, effectively making it unavailable, but the unofficial patch fixed those.

Edit: Just checked and Ysolda running Belethor's is one of those cases that were fixed, as she would never enter the building in an unmodded game, so would never actually open the store.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:33:59 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: November 25, 2014, 03:04:43 pm »

Heh, they marketed that as some grand radiant AI feature.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11619 on: November 25, 2014, 03:25:18 pm »

Heh, they marketed that as some grand radiant AI feature.

To be fair, the radiant AI was actually reasonably effective at doing things like that during development, but they had to restrict it back a lot from what was originally planned as it kept breaking quests, due to npc's changing from what they were initially set as. What is left is a shadow of what it could have been, similarly to the whole civil war being reduced to a few set piece battles rather than the original dynamic system.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: November 25, 2014, 06:25:16 pm »

The anime mod, though definition of anime is rather loose. More like adult anime at the very least. That is what the original creator said it was.

I call it I KILL YOUR PC...cause I had a 896 mb geforce gx 260 and it literally overheated, melted and completely died from this "mod"...

Here are screenshots:
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Skyrim/Mythical%20Skyrim
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Vendayn/library/Skyrim/Anime%20Skyrim/Aesthetics

And I have a geforce 660 GTX 2gb and it REALLY gets pushed past its limit.

So I KILL YOUR PC can be downloaded...

https://mega.co.nz/#!m8YllZpK!Z_qztEEMAGRjeB2hITB1nzS4gwiyKYB9piYucNbtYow

The guy included an old, rather broken custom made Skyrim version that I'm too lazy to go through and delete. So copy everything over into your Skyrim folder and say NO to any overwriting. On a fresh skyrim install obviously. Or just copy the data folder over, but it will overwrite some of your vanilla skyrim files...so say no to that. Or just use it as is and enjoy a broken old skyrim...in any case...

Then you can get his custom made dawnguard

https://mega.co.nz/#!OhJznSBa!4jSjFgUchJ-aloNFsjYFg04WMBImAz4p-p_JIWO9vHs

and his custom made dragonborn

(part 1 and 2)

https://mega.co.nz/#!KggGCZqI!KwO-f2-iRUf14wVQBMItLPrhTOSP53WjnxeNftsqS6I

https://mega.co.nz/#!nlAURShY!nOumOiyeoS8CUYskwR3jWtGsbuZoKilplG78B999Hqo

He pretty much abandoned working on it, he was gonna add a ton more custom stuff. But, he did a lot of custom stuff with it. It isn't 100% a compilation, but he made a ton of custom mods for this. I'm a little weary about posting this at all, but I'll remove it if its an issue. In any case, as far as I know, I am only one left who has his dawnguard/dragonborn mods...and the main part of the mod (30 gb unzipped) can be found on "*cough* sites...but this version I have is more up to date.

Also

YOU MUST DEACTIVATE ( OR DELETE) THE FOLLOWING ESM :

Solstheim Climate Overhaul
getSnowy
Skyrimaguas_Bigger_better_Sun
SkySet - Climates of Tamriel
Skyset

I didn't bother removing them before hand. Left his mod as is.

As for this mod or compilation or whatever. If your GPU and PC suck, you'll crash a lot even with skyrim skse memory patch. However, I tested this out on my friends PC who has a superior PC than I do and it crashes 0 times for a 6 hour play through and a 45 minute sprint on a fast time scale all over skyrim. THE ONLY CRASHES are PC related. Cause he has 0 at all, and I get a lot more than him and his PC is superior to mine. So this mod is a rather niche mod for higher end PCs.

Do I play this mod? NOPE. I get too many crashes. I can only play when I visit my friend.

Also, I'll upload a couple custom mods I made, unless I end up removing this post.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:32:57 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: November 28, 2014, 02:13:07 pm »

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: November 28, 2014, 02:44:47 pm »

I use the Death Alternative which also solves immersion-breaking quicksave-reload, but in the opposite way.  The PC wakes up unconscious outside or in a nearby temple, probably missing valuable items.  I think there are some special "We rescued you now do this quest for us" things but I haven't died much since I got it. 

That's partially because it gives you the follower-like ability of falling to one knee for a while at 0HP.  If the enemies don't finish you off in that state (which results in unconsciousness and item loss) then you get back up with a sliver of health and a long cooldown.  It's kind of generous, though, since enemies tend to target my companion (if he's still up) instead of focusing on me while I'm down.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: December 02, 2014, 10:37:34 pm »

Installing "Interesting NPCs" and "Inconsequential NPCs" is getting me much more interested in Skyrim again.  Had a several minute long conversation with what appeared to be a Thalmor at first, but turn out to be an exiled one.  Originally thought it was due to losing drive to continue their job, then when it was revealed that it was due to disobeying an order.  Made me believe it was due to not agreeing to the Thalmor's methods.  Then it came out it was due to having an argument with another Thalmor about a family, her advocating to kill the children while the other was against it, and she had been exiled due to them being murdered, and she was the prime suspect due to her advocating mass executions.  Combining the voice acting that was used with having roughly three or four options on average per conversation topic made it more interesting than most other conversations I've had in the rest of my experience.

Edit: Current is a restart with a random woodsman who will not search bodies or from chests (rarely napsacks, never urns).  Going with a bow and axe combo rather than a sword this time through.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:40:32 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: December 02, 2014, 10:42:28 pm »

I think I was downloading that "Interesting NPC" mod before it got far too late one night. From a showcase video of it I was quite impressed at the quality of the voice acting I heard. Of course they might've just shown the best in the mod but if the rest of the characters are done as well (with little to no background noise and muffled talking) then it is encouraging progress for further mods for games with full voice acting.

Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 896