Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558881 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11820 on: February 18, 2015, 01:13:03 pm »

fwiw the shout doesn't work well on anything large. You can't shout mammoths, giants (I think), dragons, the big dwemer golems, etc.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11821 on: February 18, 2015, 01:19:02 pm »

Heh, does anyone else actually forget to use shouts in combat? My most-used is the turn ethereal one because of how often I go cliff-diving.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11822 on: February 18, 2015, 01:31:59 pm »

I never thought to use become ethereal as a fall damage protection...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11823 on: February 18, 2015, 02:14:30 pm »

fwiw the shout doesn't work well on anything large. You can't shout mammoths, giants (I think), dragons, the big dwemer golems, etc.

Might be one of my mods, but Unrelenting Force definitely sends Giants Rag Dolling. It won't ragdoll Centurions but it will stumble them. It will stun dragons for a couple seconds.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11824 on: February 18, 2015, 02:20:27 pm »

Giants I wasn't sure about.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11825 on: February 18, 2015, 03:14:16 pm »

Nah, it's totally possible to Fus-Ro-Dah giants into the air in vanilla. Which is weird, because they're bigger than the centurions, but I guess they're not as heavy. Thing is, if you want to kill giants with it, you've got to run under them, crouch, and point upwards, otherwise they won't be hurt enough by the fall (and they tend to be found in relatively flat areas).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: February 18, 2015, 05:55:45 pm »

Something something crotch thrust something something
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11827 on: February 18, 2015, 06:00:56 pm »

If you want to Fus a giant, you just gotta run right up and stick your head in their crotch. Without getting hit, obviously.

You can do the same thing to anything if you use the character menu to make your character a tiny little six-inch-tall spriteling.

3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11828 on: February 18, 2015, 06:02:53 pm »

I use Fus Ro Dah sometimes, but usually I forget about it until I'm up against, say, a Draugr Overlord, and even then I usually use damaging shouts like Ice Form.
Like I said. I'm caught between the love of sending guys rag dolling down a mountain side, and being challenged.
Solution 2: Use shout for fun, unequip shout in combat.
Black lives matter.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11829 on: February 18, 2015, 06:14:38 pm »

I never thought to use become ethereal as a fall damage protection...

That's the main thing I used it for.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: February 18, 2015, 06:16:31 pm »

I was wondering what that was for. Couldn't see a practical application other than running away.

Like I said. I'm caught between the love of sending guys rag dolling down a mountain side, and being challenged.
Solution 2: Use shout for fun, unequip shout in combat.

Honestly my problem is just the ability balance. Even with a couple invincibility frames thrown in, guys are vulnerable for an eternity while the rag doll sorts itself out. And then they get up like you've (not unreasonably) shattered most of the major bones in their body, so they take forever to get back in their fighting stance. If you rag dolled them and then they got up pretty much immediately, I'd feel less guilty about using it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:24:10 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11831 on: February 18, 2015, 06:25:42 pm »

It was the same for me in Oblivion when I joined the mage guild and got a staff of paralysis.  Except I never got tired of it  :D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11832 on: February 18, 2015, 06:33:06 pm »

To be fair, I have a mod which adds in effects like that which are used on you the player as well... makes wards and dodging magic blasts much more important. Also cheap expendable minions...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11833 on: February 18, 2015, 06:35:47 pm »

I was wondering what that was for. Couldn't see a practical application other than running away.
Yeah, it went past the point of "Oh, I can just jump off and shout to get down faster," to "Giant waterfall YAHOOOOoooo!" for me. It's not nearly as funny as it was to cast super-strong Fortify Speed and Fortify Acrobatics spells on your horse in Oblivion, though. Goodness, I miss that spellcrafting system.

3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11834 on: February 18, 2015, 06:41:42 pm »

It was the same for me in Oblivion when I joined the mage guild and got a staff of paralysis.  Except I never got tired of it  :D

I make lots of Paralysis poisons but that's usually a premeditated affair. Shouting at guys, especially if you spent a lot of time with the weaker versions where it's a way more tactical ability, becomes a reflex.

To be fair, I have a mod which adds in effects like that which are used on you the player as well... makes wards and dodging magic blasts much more important. Also cheap expendable minions...

I've got NPCs flinging around some Midas magic spells, and that's plenty for me. I should probably crank the difficulty all the way up before I keep complaining though. But being a light armored fighter I'm usually only about 1 spectacular power attack away from dying, and I imagine that'll just get frustrating the higher the difficulty is. Duel: Combat Realism's AI is pretty unforgiving.

Fortify Acrobatics

Man I miss Acrobatics. Would have been super appropriate for Skyrim...

Anyone have any experience with: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30968/? I can see that conflicting with a couple mods like Path of Shadows, runs scripts every few second (configurable) to calculate speed etc...and it sounds like it gets OP after a certain point. But those are some nice additives to gameplay. Not being able to sprint and jump pisses me off constantly.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:47:08 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 896