Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550046 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12270 on: July 09, 2015, 02:43:17 pm »

There is a crash preventer mod too, I think it's called SafeLoad or something. I dramatically reduced my CTDs after I got that. (CTDs from the loading screen, anyways. The game still likes to CTD while playing at the same spots before it mysteriously stops doing it.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12271 on: July 09, 2015, 02:57:45 pm »

There is a crash preventer mod too, I think it's called SafeLoad or something. I dramatically reduced my CTDs after I got that. (CTDs from the loading screen, anyways. The game still likes to CTD while playing at the same spots before it mysteriously stops doing it.)
Safety Load skse plugin. It dynamically changes the Memory Allocation so your scripts and textures can load in. Fixes alot of the CTDs and the stupid infinite loading screen bug.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: July 09, 2015, 03:29:54 pm »

So I've been trying to get into Skyrim after replaying New Vegas and FO3 again, thus slowly weaning myself onto Bethesda games. I already have a modlist in mind, but I have a question of which combat revamp I should pick, Duel or Ultimate Combat?

Also is Epic Gameplay Overhaul worth it or should I just stick to Civil War Overhaul?
Is Civil War Overhaul stable for you? It lags my box to death if i run other mods with it.

I had no issues with it at all. The main problem mod was Frostfall that a lot of people use. That killed my game and increased my CTDs A LOT, even on a lighter load list. That one is #1 game killer, even with a lesser mod list.

Also. Frostfall off

save 9mb at completely new game. Raises to 11mb over a period of 6 hours. Save still loads fine, no issues.

Frostfall 12mb new game, raises to 14-16 mb over a period of 3 hours and then causes MASSIVE issues, save unloadable
Damnit really? I like using Frostfall. Is it due to the amount of npcs or regardless its a fucking mess? I rather have a workaround for this solution cause I like was Frostfall gives me alongside with Realistic Needs and Diseases

Uh, i'd put it down to the shitload of mods Vendayn used - I used Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases alongside each other and got through a playthrough - the only issue was script latency every now and again, making things a little tough to do. At the time including Frostfall and RND, I had ~40 mods, mainly bugfixes - and my computer is not even that powerful: i play on Medium with no new textures or anything.
Oh yeah, the campfire system and tent - if you are playing Frostfall, do clean it up after every time you're finished with it, otherwise your save will bloat horribly. Otherwise, it's fine.

And to boot, if I recall, Chesko's planning on rewriting Frostfall to have less script latency.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: July 09, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »

And to boot, if I recall, Chesko's planning on rewriting Frostfall to have less script latency.
He is, he developed a new Campfire system and is working to have it as a master for Frostfall in his next release. I'm thinking the lag in Civil War Overhaul with Frostfall is the ton of fire instances all around during sieges cause I remember in other places it plays fine. Maybe if I can make a seperate fire instance that isn't tied to Frostfall and make CWO use it. That could be a fix!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: July 09, 2015, 04:48:55 pm »

Ah, now that was a fun save... I'd forgotten how fun Frostfall was. Gave a really desperate feeling to survival, though being close to your carry limit is horrible, because every time you get hungry you become overencumbered, and it was hard to stay away from the carry limit without the bandoliers mod due to how heavy the tentroll and firewood was.

Two favourite screenshots from that save:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: July 10, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »

Would anyone play this? Just curious. It isn't uploaded yet, but I am gonna upload it for my friend. its a huge compilation.

I aimed at gameplay, immersion, more challenge and fun. With a major sci-fi twist. Along with good performance and stability.

One big mod that I did not include is Frostfall and I don't recommend adding it as it caused save bloat and made my save game much bigger. On a save without Frostfall, 9mb and slowly raises to 12mb. I can load the save just fine. Install frostfall, new game starts at 12-13mb and raises to 14-16 mb and save becomes unloadable.

I'm sure frostfall is fine on a lighter mod setup, but not on this one...anyway onto the mod itself.

First, is the challenge and a bit of a way to play.

There are A LOT of monsters, especially at night and evening hours. For example, I went running down the road and suddenly see a human-like fish creature thing start shooting lightning at a nearby creature. I see it does a TON of damage, but there isn't much in the way to get past the creature without turning back. It was pretty much a mini-boss that I randomly found. So, I save the game and try to fight it...I die in one single lightning blast. Oh and it has little mudcrabs it could summon and the mudcrabs had fast powerful attacks. Was easy to avoid them as they were slow, but couldn't let them close.

So, as a ranged character (melee is going to have a VERY tough time in this mod. A bit realistic though as range usually has an advantage.) I did it old school style like you could in older games. I jumped on a rock, in middle of the river and pew pewed it and it couldn't get me. A bit gamey I suppose, but a viable strategy even in the real world. It was still hard as the mudcrabs could go in the water (no idea why a water monster couldn't, but whatever lol).

Next I went into that mine by riverwood. A good way to raise stealth, even in vanilla (though harder) is to shoot the bandit on his path going to his little camp on the ledge, than sneak quickly up the ramp. Sometimes I get caught, but usually they don't follow and if they do, often times they trip on the boulders and get squashed lol. With one bandit gone and only one bandit left, its a bit easier but have to rely on getting close and meleeing him.

So that is just a couple examples of how I've played it. As you can see, ranged characters and even mages are superior in this version of skyrim. But in truth, it was pretty much the same in vanilla as barely anyone goes across water lol.

But overall, expect to run...a lot...and run again...and die often. But its not an annoying thing (I get REALLY annoyed in BS deaths), the game is a lot of fun and any death is because of my mistake or I was careless. Often, in most cases in fact, I find stealth, observing the surroundings and being careful as saved me countless times.

A good example of what not to do, is when I RAN (yes ran) toward a predator (you know from alien vs predator). I saw a strange creature, went quickly toward it...I saw it was a predator...and it sprinted so fast, and sliced off my head. Next time, I went around and I did avoid it, but met aliens instead (who seem to also not like water...common for people, animals and monsters in skyrim).

I don't think the wildlife and people of skyrim are smart enough to swim :P

So that is the challenge part. And probably fun to many (it is to me)

The "fun" stuff, comes in finding hidden treasures, exploring horrifying caves and dungeons. Doing creepy as heck quests, being a drug lord (yes you can sell skooma...to kids, adults, your dog, your grandma, my grandma, the jarl. I can even sell skooma to Ulfric Stormcloak...which explains a lot...) and you can even GROW drugs in this Skyrim. Because where else would Skooma come from, heh? Make sure to have good Khajiit friends :D

You can also do less illegal stuff, and be a bard going to taverns and singing horrible songs or playing badly on instruments. Or buy property and be a trader. Or just be a peaceful hunter in the wilderness, surviving off your kills and selling pelts and meat. In fact, there is more amount of non-combat content as there is actual combat content. I made sure there was plenty to do besides combat and doing endless questing :D

Some things you can do, some I mentioned above.

A drug lord (cause why the hell not?)

A necromancer (chop up bodies and turn them into skeletons, zombies, ghosts and all kinds of things, very realistic necromancy)

A bard (be sure to sing in a closed space of any inn (like a basement if there is one), it will sound better :D)

A real-estate agent

A trader

A hunter (which is what I usually end up doing, with a mix of drug lord, sometimes play as a bard and quite a bit of a Druid as I like nature.)

A druid (pretty good druid system in-place, takes some time to get there though)

A vampire (better vampires, and a vampire-lord perk mod, much better vampire system)

A treasure hunter (and there is a lot of treasure all around)

And that is just some of them

Other things are many new lands...each one adding at least 10+ hours to the game and MUCH more to explore.

Also I used the mod Draugnarok for a Draugr apocalypse. Its a very fun mod and really well made, personally I either turn it on after I finish most things on my main character or on a separate "fun" character. Cause the draugr tend to kill everyone lol.

TONS of new dungeons and caves. Lots of new NPCs all around to add immersion. Much better graphics, while staying true (mostly) to how Skyrim is supposed to look. Good performance (at least on my PC). Very little crashing (just the normal amount for Skyrim). Lots of new things to do and find.

But you can play as Krotos (from god of war, really well made character), a couple/few original races made for females (they are awesome), or play as a Predator (cause why the hell not) and of course the regular Skyrim races (my main character is an Imperial female).

Sound like anyones taste? It pretty much makes Skyrim more sci-fi but still keep some fantasy stuff in. With a bunch of horror content thrown on.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: July 11, 2015, 01:28:24 am »

Honestly? If I wanted my Skyrim to be a random mod kitchen sink I could do that myself.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12277 on: July 11, 2015, 05:17:12 am »

Vendayn, would you mind posting a mod list? I'm curious which mod you used for some aspects of that. The necromancy for example, which one is it? I know of several necromancy mods but none quite fit what you described.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: July 11, 2015, 05:10:18 pm »

Honestly? If I wanted my Skyrim to be a random mod kitchen sink I could do that myself.

This would be more for people (like my friend mostly plays console games. He doesn't really understand modding too much, except getting random mods on workshop) who don't want to waste 1000 hours of their life like I did, getting mods...breaking skyrim...reinstalling skyrim...getting mods...cleaning mods...cleaning more mods...merging mods. And all that, which I have no idea why I do lol. I have 800 skyrim hours, 500-550 hours is modding and testing mods. And outside of played hours, I have vastly more modding hours.

I don't mind doing that otherwise I wouldn't do it (cause why do something that I don't like lol). But, most people don't want to go spending 1000+ hours looking for a bunch of mods and dealing with all that annoyance lol. I've had to reinstall skyrim I think 5? 6? times or something, most people would just give up by then lol.

In any case, for those who are like me and don't really care about wasting 1000+ hours or however many hours it ends up...this compilation is NOT recommended for them. My mod list is setup for my OWN PERSONAL game and I plan to share it for others who don't want to go through all that time and effort to modding their game. And many people, especially coming from a console background, have no clue about PCs (or barely any) let alone all that modding. My friend only understands...workshop...click button, install. And then if he has to do even something simple like organize mods. I have to spend 10-15 minutes explaining  it to him.

So the compilation aims more for people like him and those who don't want to spend so much time looking for mods and cleaning them etc.

So for you (and others who prefer doing their own mod setup) in this case, I definitely would skip it. Much better (imo) to have a custom made game to tailor to your experience than take someone elses game and then use it as your own. :) But that isn't for everyone. :) And to be honest, if someone else did this compilation and offered it for a download...I'd skip it as I'd rather make my own. But like I said, uploading the compilation isn't made for someone like me (or you) :)

As for mod list.

I forgot what necromancy mod it was.

But, it is either Corpse Preparation+my submod for it

You can find the main mod link here in my submod description: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61740/?

I think it is that one that lets me carry bodies and cut them up. Or it could be...

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12094/?

Which seeing the screenshots, you can butcher up bodies and stuff, so guess its that one

To be honest, outside of a couple characters. I haven't gotten too involved with either of the necromancy. It is quite a long path to go down. One character I ended up just cheating my way up to the good part, just to see how it worked. My current character may dive into that gameplay aspect, but it doesn't really fit her as she is at the moment.

And here is a link to my mod load order

(note: Everything below

Bashed Patch, 0.esp=1 and
Vendayns TES5Edit Merged Patch.esp=1

Is not active in my mod list. I have to move the esps below that to another folder so it isn't so cluttered. Its a bunch of converted armor for the body mod I chose, that I merged together otherwise it used to many esps lol).

https://mega.co.nz/#!bw0HhCIQ!PQbpQLr_7pCSE2v40EkqH18O3DEh5eze3LkjPSoxlMg

You can take a look at the mods in there. Its kind of a lighter mod compilation compared to some others that are up. One compilation (the russian one) had like 500+ mods and a lot were merged. Another compilation that is uploaded somewhere else, has like 600+ mods and another has 400 lol. But, I went with fewer mods, that add a lot to the game (there are some random ones though still) and still offer good stability and performance. I didn't want to overload the game and break it.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12279 on: July 11, 2015, 05:29:14 pm »

I'd be interested in downloading your modpack then, looks neat. :)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: July 11, 2015, 05:38:48 pm »

I'd be interested in downloading your modpack then, looks neat. :)

My friend gets first dibs though ;P And he won't be able to get it until next month as he is moving to a new place. But, I'll be sure to post a link here once its ready to go. :) Its finished as it is, but I'd rather let my friend go first, since he is my best friend and all. :)

Something to look forward to though for those who want to get it. :)

Plus, I have a few touch ups to do. Mostly just making sure its all organized, since I tend to make a mess of things lol.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: July 12, 2015, 12:49:27 am »

So in the mod, the regular version has kinda bugged body/textures. It works, but it isn't that great. And I'm not re-uploading it all again.

So in a patch, are 4k body/head textures, and optional 8k head textures. They look amazing, but not playable on a low or medium end PC. The 8k textures I tried, but going back to 4k as the 8k is too much on my system. I'm running out of video memory on the 8k textures. 4k fine, 8k not. But, also included is lower resolution body textures (SG body textures, still look nice and work with body mod installed) for not as good PCs (except the compilation is gonna be hard if not impossible to run on low-end PCs.). Its still higher resolution than the vanilla textures and work with the included body mod.

System specs:

Geforce GTX 970 4gb factory overclocked (I get 30-40 FPS on average with ENB in exteriors, 45-60 average without ENB. With 8k head textures, I can't even play properly in interiors without textures going missing and weird things happen.)

Windows 7 64bit (I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 when that is available)

8 gig DDR3 ram

i5 660 CPU 3.3 Ghz

No SSD (just a regular hard drive)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12282 on: July 12, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »

My friend gets first dibs though
okay? It's not as though my playing it will prevent him, but I suppose I don't have much choice. Had hoped to get some time in this weekend. Oh well.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: July 12, 2015, 05:29:06 pm »

What mods are you using for this? I just started new game and planed to play as your typical dunmer, so assasinations and drug smuggling was planned. If I could make small hideout in solstheim and grow not!opium in there and smuggle it to riften for sale, it would make good long term plan. Maybe take over redwater den too, just because.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: July 12, 2015, 05:49:25 pm »

What mods are you using for this? I just started new game and planed to play as your typical dunmer, so assasinations and drug smuggling was planned. If I could make small hideout in solstheim and grow not!opium in there and smuggle it to riften for sale, it would make good long term plan. Maybe take over redwater den too, just because.

Its this mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65259/?

And I'll just post the link to my compilation

https://mega.co.nz/#!bxMHzS7D!XDfuVjn2WE9dwkjckz-wBnNh8QGWQpSas7xj9_xyjO8

and import the load order through mod manager or organizer may work too

https://mega.co.nz/#!bw0HhCIQ!PQbpQLr_7pCSE2v40EkqH18O3DEh5eze3LkjPSoxlMg

Should be the correct load order. Might be missing some mods though, don't remember...should still work.

Download with Firefox however, not chrome or internet explorer. I tried uploading and downloading large files on chrome on that site and it broke (download froze) and was super slow. But, expect a huge download (nearly 38 gb 7zip file).

The only thing I haven't uploaded, is the optional patches/mods. Like I switched bodies since the body for females in the upload are kinda buggy (too many seams). And I have different music added in the optional download.

But I won't be able to upload that till next month sadly. I'm already nearly at my bandwidth limit and its not even toward the end of the month. But the mod itself that I linked, works great from the 40-50 hours or so of my character. It definitely takes a higher end PC, but should work on mid-end if you turn off ENB effects.
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 896