Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559046 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12570 on: March 28, 2016, 03:40:30 am »

i've been having some issues using lightning spells. seems like theyd be good against casters, but no matter how much i blast dudes with lightning they just keep casting spells, so what's the point when i could slow them with ice?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: March 28, 2016, 06:05:07 pm »

i've been having some issues using lightning spells. seems like theyd be good against casters, but no matter how much i blast dudes with lightning they just keep casting spells, so what's the point when i could slow them with ice?

literally everything in skyrim is ice resistant that's why

Plus, IIRC, dragons can't shout with no magicka and have lowish reserves so lightning works well against them. The main benefits of lightning are thus:

1: No projectile travel time

2: Very few things resist it

3: Master level spell is a huge freakening laser
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: March 28, 2016, 06:13:34 pm »

Using two Lightning Bolts at once is killer.
But not the Dual Cast perk, that eats Magicka; charge one and RIGHT AFTER charge the other, and shoot them at the same time for MAXIMUM DRAUGR RAGDOLL
Black lives matter.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: March 28, 2016, 06:14:10 pm »

literally everything in skyrim is ice resistant that's why

Plus, IIRC, dragons can't shout with no magicka and have lowish reserves so lightning works well against them. The main benefits of lightning are thus:

1: No projectile travel time

2: Very few things resist it

3: Master level spell is a huge freakening laser
Basically, the only thing you can't use it on is Storm Atronachs.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: March 28, 2016, 11:15:54 pm »

unlimited
poowaaahhhhhhhhhghgh
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: March 29, 2016, 02:58:15 am »

For those of you whose enthusiasm is starting to wane, I highly recommend the Requiem mod. I run this with about two dozen others and the corresponding compatibilities patches, all mostly geared at immersion, and it feels like a different game. A better, albeit it harsh but fair- something like Dark Souls meets your favorite open world survival, wherein a single arrow or a few strokes of a sword can end your life, but also theirs.

Never have I been so absorbed into the world of Nirn, as I slowly accrue wealth and gain skills, using an alternative start and setting out at first for the humblest expeditions beyond the cities walls with my companion, approaching every nook and cranny with caution, and reveling in the discovery of each small treasure, knowing that it brings me a step closer to my next goal. By far, the best addition to all this, has been the mods that disable landmark icons, fast travel, and map position. Morrwind style, the way TES ought to be played! :P
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:59:56 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: March 29, 2016, 05:05:02 am »

The Dark Souls of RPGs
Black lives matter.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: March 29, 2016, 06:43:53 am »

Like Dark Souls with guns

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: March 29, 2016, 06:46:18 am »

The Dark Souls of Dark Souls with guns
Black lives matter.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: March 29, 2016, 07:06:38 am »

By far, the best addition to all this, has been the mods that disable landmark icons, fast travel, and map position. Morrwind style, the way TES ought to be played! :P
The problem with such mods is that Skyrim is not built for that. There are no directions in quests and such.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: March 29, 2016, 07:34:38 am »

By far, the best addition to all this, has been the mods that disable landmark icons, fast travel, and map position. Morrwind style, the way TES ought to be played! :P
The problem with such mods is that Skyrim is not built for that. There are no directions in quests and such.

To the contrary, there is a spell that creates a trail toward your current quest objective. What's more, there is yet another mod, which adds directions to most quest objectives. The problem here, is that it doesn't affect radiant quests.

That aside, I don't believe any of these mods I have running actually remove the marker from the compass- just dungeon, settlement, outpost, etc. icons. The result is a slow-burn world that takes a great deal more exploration. It's absolutely amazing how much more mysterious and open Skyrim feels when you can't telepathically sense the existence of locations you've never been to. Add to the mix good old Frostfall, and... you had damned well better be prepared if you're leaving the road.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: March 29, 2016, 07:41:06 am »

To the contrary, there is a spell that creates a trail toward your current quest objective.
That spell rarely seems to work :/  Then again I was mostly trying it when the way was confusing, perhaps blocked.
What's more, there is yet another mod, which adds directions to most quest objectives. The problem here, is that it doesn't affect radiant quests.
This mod looked really cool, I think I'll install it even if I keep the quest markers.
That aside, I don't believe any of these mods I have running actually remove the marker from the compass- just dungeon, settlement, outpost, etc. icons. The result is a slow-burn world that takes a great deal more exploration. It's absolutely amazing how much more mysterious and open Skyrim feels when you can't telepathically sense the existence of locations you've never been to. Add to the mix good old Frostfall, and... you had damned well better be prepared if you're leaving the road.
Mmm, Frostfall~
That sounds intimidating though, I already find myself bumbling into places that barely seem to exist until I'm right on top of them.  Maybe due to low graphics settings and hanging out in forests and steep slopes a lot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: March 29, 2016, 07:43:51 am »

Clairvoyance is effectively useless if you can find a road and know vaguely which direction to wander in.
Black lives matter.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: March 29, 2016, 01:56:09 pm »

3: Master level spell is a huge freakening laser kamehameha wave
FTFY

Anyway, on the topic of Frostfall, does the new version (3.1 I think it was) seem REALLY dumbed down to anyone else? I mean there's definately stuff I like about it, but I remember in the old days nearly freezing to death anytime I wanted to go to High Hrothgar. Add in that the warmth/coverage of armor seems less about the kind of protection it would realistically give now and more just a linear scale with armor rating and it seems to have lost most of its bite.
Oh and the silly "rescue" thing is default and non-adjustable now. It KINDA made sense to be able to be rescued by your companion, and to MAYBE have it happen 1% of the time otherwise, but when you have to choose between "freezing to death kills you" and "freezing to death slightly inconveniences you" I know which one is less retarded in my book.

In other news, ALL the crafting recipes from PerMa (all the meltdown stuff, as well as the "reconstruct stuff to be better" ones) are borked in my install, and I have no idea why. Went so far as to re-download it and overwrite all the scripts and such in case some conflict was arising that way, but nothing works. Also tried using Patchus Maximus, but I can't tell if its working or not (it hits 100%, stays there for about 5 minutes and then closes without any confirmation at all)
Any ideas?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: March 29, 2016, 02:03:30 pm »

Patchus Maximus should generate an additional ESP file (or something - it's one more thing to make sure is checked in your load order, anyway). Is that happening? It's also important to make sure it's in the right place relative to your other stuff, including a bashed patch if you have one (and you should if you've got anything else installed having to do with equipment). I forget whether patches generated by that program need to be above or below the bashed patch, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 896