Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558701 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12630 on: August 04, 2016, 08:52:41 pm »

Especially since it'll have them available on consoles.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: August 05, 2016, 02:29:18 am »

That's why we're getting that instead of a new Elder Scrolls Game :P
Hey now, we got Oblivion!
And Skyrim, for those who care about graphics.

Morrowind fans will continue to enjoy their ugly, magically mechanic-filled realm.

It's kinda weird how Oblivion looks so horrible, now.  It's not just low-fi, it's possibly the best example of uncanny-valley I've seen.
A good argument for why we maybe shouldn't try to recreate reality in video games.
Glad the new generations of consoles seem to be stumbling into side utility instead of increasing "fidelity".  As if I give a shit after the PS2 level of graphics.

I'd rather have Oblivion's unnaturally smooth potato faces over Skyrim's "everybody in the entire world is a forty-year-old hobo" method of design.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: August 05, 2016, 05:55:00 am »

Considering Beth now has their own mod site, it's probably good we've got a strong "independant" mod site in the Nexus.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12633 on: August 05, 2016, 06:23:12 am »

I do look forward to the updated game allowing for more memory intensive mods. With all the visual mods, even with a good computer Skyrim would struggle.

Though, Bethesda's comments about it being a mistake to introduce paid mods in an established environment does make me wonder whether they'll try it with the updated version. It's difficult for me to judge since it went rather badly last time and I don't know if that put them off for good.

Also, I personally much prefer the faces of people from Skyrim than Oblivion. They look distinct and I like that they're not beautiful.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12634 on: August 05, 2016, 07:14:25 am »

I do look forward to the updated game allowing for more memory intensive mods. With all the visual mods, even with a good computer Skyrim would struggle.
Assuming the new Skyrim+ actually does run better than vanilla Skyrim with visual mods, of course. Gods know Bethesda isn't necessarily the best at optimizing.

Plus if the game breaks too many mods, I'm not sure how many creators of the big complicated ones will bother to port their stuff over. I'd rather not need to keep two separate Skyrim installs on my computer 0_o

(Morrowind had the best faces! They were a bit cartoony, but they were distinct and fit well with the rest of the game world. Then the developers decided that the next game was going to be set in stretchy-faced Medieval Europe, and went camping in the Uncanny Valley. Unfortunately for them, right after they got there Tiber Septim un-jungled everything and they all got stuck, and had to stay there through Skyrim as well.)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12635 on: August 05, 2016, 07:35:51 am »

(Morrowind had the best faces! They were a bit cartoony, but they were distinct and fit well with the rest of the game world. Then the developers decided that the next game was going to be set in stretchy-faced Medieval Europe, and went camping in the Uncanny Valley. Unfortunately for them, right after they got there Tiber Septim un-jungled everything and they all got stuck, and had to stay there through Skyrim as well.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12636 on: August 05, 2016, 07:40:41 am »

@smirk: Well, I believe the new edition is going to be 64bit as opposed to 32bit, so the game will be able to use more ram. Crashing from other things might still be a problem but not due to the game hitting a memory limit. Sins of a Solar Empire could do with a similar re-release since several mods run really close to the games limits but a program called "Large Address Aware" helps let the program use up to 4gb of ram.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12637 on: August 05, 2016, 07:50:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
me_irl

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: August 05, 2016, 08:13:52 am »

Though it's like... I can tell that's Fargoth because he has a distinctive face. Aside from the emperor, Martin and one or two others all the faces in Oblivion lack distinctiveness. I can't remember what that blade guy at Weynon Priory looks like but I remember the Jarl of Whiterun's face. The faces may not be unique to that character but it stands out more in my memory.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: August 05, 2016, 08:37:34 am »

To be fair, I think Skyrim didn't really do much in that regard. Its main advantage over Oblivion is a one-two of more distinct races and a more heavy handed approach to linearity. Skyrim pushes you into the main quest far more than Oblivion - it holds your hand until after the first dragon fight, at which point you're directed to go somewhere far enough away (to the greybeards) that most players probably start wandering around. Meanwhile, Oblivion only holds your hand until the intro ends. I think the first thing the vast majority of Oblivion players did after the sewers was walk into the Imperial City, not Weynon Priory. Because of this, you tend to see many of Skyrim's memorable faces early on (and often, if you play many characters). In Oblivion it was totally reasonable for you to have explored half of Cyrodiil before even meeting Martin, and I'd argue a good chunk of the people who played Oblivion never did.

Regardless I think both games are awful at it, its hard to congratulate either of them when I remember four dudes in one game and six dudes in another. Wish I could speak for Morrowind, but I never made it past the start.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:39:25 am by Rex_Nex »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12640 on: August 05, 2016, 08:56:59 am »

I completed shivering isles and became a demigod before I ever met Martin, so yeah Oblivion was much less heavy on the main quest. :)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12641 on: August 05, 2016, 09:02:32 am »

Well fine but one for good measure; Think of the face of Mannimarco. Now think of another High Elf in Oblivion and how are they different?

All that aside though, I think there is still enough momentum in the Skyrim modding community to get several of them to update to the new version. Modding for Fallout 4, from what I've gathered, hasn't picked up as much as it did with Skyrim.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: August 05, 2016, 09:25:41 am »

I wouldn't consider Skyrim much more heavy-handed than Oblivion by that metric, to be honest. You could reasonably argue that the first dragon fight is a part of the introduction, because shouts are the posterboy mechanic (even if theyre sort of underwhelming) and dragons are pretty common encounters.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12643 on: August 05, 2016, 09:59:03 am »

True. You don't have to go to whiterun and warn the jarl right away. The only thing it affects is the civil war questline, which you cannot progress I believe until you do the dragon fight and reveal that you're the dragonborn.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: August 05, 2016, 10:44:02 am »

I love dragons dont get me wrong!
I played my first character killed tons. Then I realised dragons are crap in skyrim. Skyrim is terrible.
So i started again as a merchant who tried to cross a border unnoticed. Then some delrious nordic dream of dragons yada yada, you are the dragon born.... NO im not. Im a cat trader, how dare you say my mother fucked a snake! Stasis upon you!
so there you go the story of a merchant.
I hate being the chosen one. Skyrim was the wrong direction. Still is wrong. Bethesda is terrible at making a smooth game and then expect me to be happy with stat absence, wonky dragons, inability to create ones own spells.
Oh yeah btw its a cold as fuck game here is the fatigue/frostbite meter... wait whats that?! Oh I forgot, we dumb down our games now.
FUCK YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE SHIT AT MAKING A PROPER GAME.
I just wanted frostbite.

Then ul say. mods
Fuck you most of all
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 896