Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginners' XXVII - Imperishable Night - Game Over!  (Read 176803 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVII - IN SIGNUPS (9/7, 2/3) !!!IC DESPERATELY NEEDED!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 08:50:50 am »

If it's the difference between starting and not, you can move me to playing IC.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 09:34:23 am »

If it's the difference between starting and not, you can move me to playing IC.
Even if I do that, we'll still be short by one IC.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 09:36:40 am »

You don't need a non-playing scum IC to start the game- you can always throw one in after the game starts.  IIRC the first BM that went back to playing ICs (XXI?) didn't have one.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:07 am »

OK, I'll wait a couple more hours and if nobody shows up I'll do as you suggested.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:07 am »

Oh, fiddlesticks.  Guess I'm a little late, but I suppose I'll at least watch and sit on the replacement queue?  So, in please.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »

Okay, it looks like nobody is going to join. I'll set up the game now. If anybody is still interested in that IC spot, PM me.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVII - Sending roles, preparing flavor... (IC needed!)
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 01:23:00 pm »

Day 1 - Storm on Mt. Ooe

A short procession drags itself on top of the mountain. A community of monks has lived here for a long time, even though not many remain by now - mere seven young acolytes and two elders. In the last days an unprecedented affair has happened - for the first time since time forgotten, a holy man has been murdered in cold blood in the middle of his prayer. No outside soul has access to the monastery, so it must be one of the currently present. The only information about the happening is written in dead man's blood, telling of the coming of a dark spirit searching for followers. The same writing reveals the number of the convertees the spirit has found on the mountain - two. You must find and eliminate them before the dark plan can proceed.

Votecount:

• ed boy:0
  • Orangebottle:0
  • Mormota:0
  • Jafferey:0
  • mipe9:0
  • Mindmaker:0
  • Powder Miner:0
  • Jim Groovester:0
  • Toaster:0

Not voting: ed boy, Orangebottle, Mormota, Jafferey, mipe9, Mindmaker, Powder Miner, Jim Groovester, Toaster.

The day will end Tuesday the 20th, 6PM GMT. You need 4 votes to extend and 6 to shorten.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:25:59 pm by Dariush »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVII - Day 1 - Storm on Mt. Ooe (IC needed!)
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 01:27:49 pm »

Now that the game has started and I am now responsible for teaching seven of you how to play a game, I will say the following first.

I will be a completely impartial source of advice that I will freely give at every opportunity, whether I am asked for it or I decide to give it on my own. You can trust that everything I have to say will be given in good faith, even if it comes at a personal cost to me in this game. If you do not listen to what I have to say, for any reason, you will severely hamper your ability to learn how to play the game. So, to reiterate,

Listen to what I tell you.

If you don't, then what's the point of me being here?

For those of you who don't know what to do, games usually start with the Random Vote Stage. You should pick a target randomly, vote them, and ask them a question. The sole purpose of this is to get conversation going when there would otherwise be no reason to do that. I'll start.

Jafferey, I've never seen you around here before, so answer me a question. Let's say you're a Roleblocker. How would you pick a target?

Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

If you played a Beginner's Game before you probably recognize this spiel, but it's good all the same.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:41 pm »

Powder Miner

I claim day Jack of All Trades. I inspected Powder Miner and got back that he is mafia watcher.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:33 pm »

Jim Groovester, how long do you normally spend in the random voting stage before you're confident in your suspicions?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 02:14:10 pm »

Powder Miner

I claim day Jack of All Trades. I inspected Powder Miner and got back that he is mafia watcher.

Well, this has never happened before.

Jim Groovester, how long do you normally spend in the random voting stage before you're confident in your suspicions?

I spend time RVing people because I don't have suspicions. As soon as I do, I stop random voting.

That's the correct way to go about the RVS. I don't leave it once I'm confident enough, I leave it as soon as I have suspicions.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 02:14:50 pm »

Again again, Jim beats me to the punch.

As you should be aware, there are two teams- town and scum.  The town's goal is to find and lynch the scum.  The scum's goal is to successfully masquerade as town long enough to win.

As town, your primary and only goal is to hunt scum.  This is more important than everything else, including your survival.  If the mafia is scared enough of you to kill you, you've done a good job and should take it as a compliment to your abilities.  Do not fear death- fear not finding scum.

That said, how do you find scum?  Question, question, question.  Study people's motives.  Look for people who are either insincere about finding scum or who seemed overly concerned with their survival and/or image.  If someone says something that seems off or unusual to you, ask them about it!  Examine the logic people use to reach their conclusions.  If it's faulty, it could be a sign of scum trying to mislead.

Look also for people who are not truly scum hunting, but just trying to pretend like they are.  That is a big warning sign.

Don't read too much into who was chosen to be killed at night.  You can never be sure why the scum team picked that person, so trying to find scum by who they killed will only lead you in circles.

Finally, have fun!  It's a game- you should enjoy yourself!

Everything above is given to you as a completely impartial person who wants you to learn how to play and become skilled in the game.  I'm here to teach, but I am also a player.  Remember, it is possible for the ICs to be scum.  By the same token, we are most concerned about you becoming good players here- we will not mislead you with bad advice if either of us are scum.  Our playing advice is in 100% good faith, but you should still study our arguments to see if they hold water.

One piece of advice to the scum team:  The best way for you to win is to make everyone think you're town.  Do that by hunting scum just as you would if you were town.  I find it best as scum to not think about your alignment while reading the thread for scummy behavior.  Don't be afraid to hound your partner if he does something scummy.

Final word:  How someone answers a question is as important as the answer itself.  Did they react like they were hiding something?  Did the question unnerve them?

Final final word:  Stay active!  If you don't participate regularly (A good minimum is one content-laden post per RL day- more during important times), then you're not going to figure things out.  Plus, if you're not going to participate, why sign up in the first place?  I'll assume that this won't be a problem, and say nothing further on the matter unless needed.

[And brackets are me explaining my actions in IC mode.]

[Generally, we start games here by picking someone, voting them, and asking them a question.  You don't have to do it, but it's customary.  This serves as a starting point to discussion.]

Mormota:  What do you hope to get out of this game?  If you could pick one of the four possible power roles (Cop, Doctor, Godfather, or Roleblocker), which would you pick?  Why?

[One thing to remember is that if you are asked a question, you should always explain why your answer is so- assume that the asker put a "Why?" at the end of the question like I did above.]

Mipe9:  I take it you've played before?  What is your experience with the game?  Have you read any games on this board?

[This is mostly so I can read him better, as all RVS questions should be.]

If you have any questions for us ICs, ask away.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:21 pm »

I spend time RVing people because I don't have suspicions. As soon as I do, I stop random voting.

That's the correct way to go about the RVS. I don't leave it once I'm confident enough, I leave it as soon as I have suspicions.
I'm asking how long that normally takes, though.

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »

Mipe9:  I take it you've played before?  What is your experience with the game?  Have you read any games on this board?

You are correct. One-sided. I might have, not sure.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 02:31:25 pm »

Mipe9:  Those are answers, yes, but you should go into more detail.

[Generally, when someone asks a question to you, they're not looking for the bare minimum.  You don't need a page to answer a simple question, but do provide a reasonable amount of detail.  Everyone benefits when you are open and honest.]

Also, you have yet to ask questions or probe anyone.  How do you plan to find scum without doing so?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38