Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.  (Read 20611 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2012, 02:01:42 pm »

Aw, Kilroy, I'm sad to hear that. What happened?
I have no access to tools, an anvil, or anything of that sort.

Oxy-acedyline seems more my speed.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2012, 02:03:37 pm »

As long as you have space, alternatives for the rest of the tools can be gotten relatively easily. Most of the people I know use pieces of railroad track and self-built forges!

I forgot to mention, you should check out "basic blacksmithing" from my previous link. It contains info on how to build the most basic of forges from the most basic of materials :)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2012, 05:13:39 pm »

Space? Well I do have around 300 acres to play around with.
But, I'd rather stick to welding for the moment, see what I can do.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2012, 03:04:06 am »

'Lo, the crappy meat fork!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's very nice, I really like it, especially how organic the "tail" looks. How long have you been practicing for something like this?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2012, 03:47:43 am »

The only degree I have that I'm genuinely proud of is the National Certificate in Blacksmithing and Metalwork from the Herefordshire College of Technology, UK :) It was a one year degree (there were further studies you could pursue), and you'd generally get about 10h of forgework a week IIRC, plus welding (arc, MIG, gas), fabrication, fitting, tech drawing, and design classes, totalling perhaps 40h a week of metal-related activities.

Blacksmithing is one of the old crafts. It takes decades to truly master, although everything that's forged looks cool. I would say you could do similar things in a couple of months of weekend forging. This assumes that you have a minimal workshop set up and that you're OK with leaving a lot more hammer marks (now THOSE are hard to get rid of...).

I personally believe that the most important thing is discipline. Like I said, forged iron has this indescribable way to just look awesome, which in turn leads many people to accept and be content with very bad quality forgings. This not only cheapens the craft, but permanently damages it by causing stagnation of skill at a mediocre level. I don't think many people left that could do something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was made by a Portuguese Master Blacksmith who lived 'round the turn into the 20th century. But now we lack technical know-how and discipline for this these days.

I could write about this for hours. I guess the main point is: you can make stuff that looks cool almost from the start, but be disciplined and you can do insanely beautiful stuff eventually. The main point is not stagnating. It is also one of the most rewarding experiences. Smithing is a kind of controlled chaos, where everything is at its very limits. Heat the metal a little to much and you burn it (the temperature is over 1500C, or 2700F); you really have to hammer it hard for it to move, but all it takes is one hammer blow to permanently mark the piece and ruin it. Also, the colour of hot metal is one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. I still spend hours on youtube sometimes, just watching people forge.

Also, depending on where you're from, it's possible you can give blacksmithing a go. There's plenty of blacksmithing schools offering small one day, weekend or week-long courses if you've got the money. It's a good way to gauge how much you might like it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2012, 04:13:27 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:55 am »

Also, depending on where you're from, it's possible you can give blacksmithing a go. There's plenty of blacksmithing schools offering small one day, weekend or week-long courses if you've got the money. It's a good way to gauge how much you might like it.
Wouldn't be able to do it at home (apartment in the middle of a city, I doubt my neighbours will like it), and time is something I hardly ever have... I might do a course or something some time, but I'll just watch you guys make cool stuff in the meanwhile :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2012, 06:04:11 am »

Yeah, that seems to be the main problem. That's why I'm trying to get a portuguese blacksmithing association with a community workshop going. People can just come in and forge with some supervision, as long as they pay for what they use.

Still, from reading several blacksmiths forums, it seems to me that quite a few old blacksmiths will be glad to teach you if you are truly interesting and eager to learn. Some of them make a business out of this, but some don't. Take this guy for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFhH4r9pyZ0

That might or might not have moistened my eyes a bit... :)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2012, 08:43:27 pm »

I spent about 5 hours cutting shit out of inch thick steel plate. Next week, welding.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2012, 09:14:31 pm »

Stick or MIG?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2012, 09:19:24 pm »

Stick or MIG?
Oxy-acedyline, I'm still taking welding 1. Those come later.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2012, 10:30:57 pm »

Ah. Remember, A before O or up you go.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2012, 04:39:55 am »

Oh, good grief. My gas welding classes were like bloody WW2... For some reason, if you overheat the metal, it blows up in your face, and everyone else's face. My overalls didn't have any elbows anymore on account of other people's stuff going BANG and me getting bits of hot metal going down my sleeves.

Worst was in MIG welding when a bit of hot metal flew against my neck, into my shirt, and all the way down to come to rest on my belly-button. I've never danced so much in my life... :D

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2012, 05:33:12 am »

Ouch :0

Also, PTW, this looks interesting. I very much like your meat fork, Anvil!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 08:12:52 am »

I did the stupid thing and wore short sleeves the first time I welded. I had a sunburn the length of my arm. Never did that again.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10