Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216650 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #360 on: October 25, 2011, 06:43:31 pm »

Bronies are zoophiles...?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 25, 2011, 06:43:51 pm »

Honestly, if humans did discover Equestria, a lot of bronies would be very quick to go hang out with them. A lot of zoophiles would probably try to hook up with what they presume to be a sentient race that could offer an animal body with intelligent thought.

Redundant much?

Sorry, where's the redundancy?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 25, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »

Well on one hand there's bronies, on the other there's the whole "sentient, self-aware form of life" thing. I'd expect a lot of people would come to defend the ponies simply for the fact they are talking, intelligent ponies.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 25, 2011, 06:45:51 pm »

If things went badly and humans killed the ponies, wouldn't that eventually lead to Discord escaping cause of the elements of harmony being ownerless?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 25, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »

Honestly, if humans did discover Equestria, a lot of bronies would be very quick to go hang out with them. A lot of zoophiles would probably try to hook up with what they presume to be a sentient race that could offer an animal body with intelligent thought.

Redundant much?

Sorry, where's the redundancy?

Because the pony hangout would OBVIOUSLY became under siege by:
Bronies
Zoophiles
Furries
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 25, 2011, 06:46:29 pm »

Well on one hand there's bronies, on the other there's the whole "sentient, self-aware form of life" thing. I'd expect a lot of people would come to defend the ponies simply for the fact they are talking, intelligent ponies.

"What, you mean this animal I shot? It was intelligent?

Prove it."
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 25, 2011, 06:47:31 pm »

I probably wouldn't bother proving it. They'd be in their own special hell.
Nothing important here, move along.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 25, 2011, 06:48:58 pm »

I guess The Elements would choose a random selection of people who fall under the elements. Guess I would fall under... none of them. Maybe kindness, but that's a little too strong. I consider myself a nice guy, but I'm not really up for it. I'm not exactly a paragon of kindness. I'm just some guy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:51:00 pm by Fniff »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 25, 2011, 06:49:37 pm »

Oh, but you'd want to. Otherwise it's a credible defence for murder. "He was already brain dead, sir."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 25, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »

I guess it would choose a random selection of people who fall under the elements. Guess I would fall under... none of them. Maybe kindness, but that's a little too strong. I consider myself a nice guy, but I'm not really up for it. I'm not exactly a paragon of kindness. I'm just some guy.

Oh, but they all have to be friends too.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 25, 2011, 06:51:31 pm »

Prove it."

I think them using tools and building houses coupled with speaking/writing in english AND tribal tatoos (cutie marks) on their flanks should be enough for everyone par the dimmest of people.
Self promotion below.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 25, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »

Equestria is assumed to be the name of the pony nation, with the planet being unnamed. Mention of Orion's Belt suggests a planet near where Earth is, but that still leaves a bit of wiggle room depending on how close to earth Orion's Belt actually is (can't be damned to Google it).
Now that I think about it, since constellations are heavily dependent on where you're standing (cosmically), they're pretty much certain to be in the exact same position as earth. Just in another dimension or something. If they were on alpha centauri (nearest star system to earth), several constellations would be quite different.

This. I did some simple math in the old thread that showed that Equestria (the planet), based on what constellations they've mentioned in the show, cannot be any other planet than Earth if it exists in this universe. Unless there's some freakish coincidence that made an exact copy of a large part of the Milky Way somewhere else, of course. Let me dig it up... Ah, here:
This is very true, but since our constellations include the brightest stars on the sky, which are also generally the closest, the Pony Planet would have to be very close to earth for this to be possible.

You also have the problem of parallax. Many constellations include stars that are very far from each other in actual 3D space, but happen to look like they lie close to each other from Earth. Moving merely to the closest star from Earth (~4 light years) would make these constellations look very different since closer stars will seem to move in respect to other, more distant ones.

A simple estimation of the parallax of the closest star of Orion (since it's explicitly mentioned in the series),Bellatrix  ~240 ly away, with respect to the farthest bright star in the same constellation (Alnilam ~1300 ly away) and a 4 light-year base line shows that Bellatrix will move roughly 3/4 of a degree in relation to Alnilam. If you do the same thing with Scorpius (closest star is ~16 ly away) you get a whooping 17 degree parallax. More than enough to render the constellation unrecognisable.

Regarding the helio or geocentricity of Equestria; I think the Equestrian solar system is heliocentric, Twilight is writing something on comets in ep. 24, they would not have comets in that way without a massive star. What if Celestia/Luna actually don't raise the moon and sun as such, but instead make the moon and Equestria (planet) spin around it's axis? For whatever reason, the Equestrian planet-moon system has lost all angular momentum and needs to be driven by alicorn magic. NMM would make it eternal night by preventing Celestia from making the planet spin.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 25, 2011, 06:53:42 pm »

Prove it."

I think them using tools and building houses coupled with speaking/writing in english AND tribal tatoos (cutie marks) on their flanks should be enough for everyone par the dimmest of people.
Really?

Well, whoops, I guess I shouldn't have set fire to/laid explosives in their buildings, should I?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 25, 2011, 06:56:47 pm »

quote stack

You are a proper DF forumer.
I salute you.

Man - Worse than satan if he was a pedophile.
Self promotion below.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 25, 2011, 06:57:28 pm »

Hm.

Right. Let's assume that you are going to erase the possibility of accidentally shooting a totally sentient pony. Skin the pony alive, burn the flesh. Or make it into coats and suits, and sell it to high class people. I mean, a fur-suit made out of pegasus wings or cutie marks would be quite the money-bringer. You could make a pretty damn good business out of it, now that I think about it. You get rid of the body, you get money from it... It's not foolproof, but you could get enough to get a damn fine lawyer for your case.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 153