Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216684 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #1860 on: November 16, 2011, 04:24:34 pm »

That sounds very cliche. I guess it's a good way to start, though. Not something I would wave around proudly.

Anyway, I've found that despite writing a few fanfics I don't really read them all that much. I also seem to have an aversion to crossovers, which is why I've managed to avoid reading some of the ones people say are really good.
Nothing important here, move along.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 16, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »

Well, sorry for ruining the plot of every 40k story and game ever for you.

Remember, it's all propaganda.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 16, 2011, 04:31:20 pm »

*cracks knuckles*
Everyone starts somewhere. Today: cliche plots. Tomorrow (next year :p): hopefully in-universe, decent stories. I've been attracted to WH40K if only for the pretty pictures for a long time now, so it's about time I learned about... you know, the actual universe. :D

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 16, 2011, 04:45:56 pm »

That sounds very cliche. I guess it's a good way to start, though. Not something I would wave around proudly.
Well, you gotta remember that you can condense every story ever into two sentences and it always sound silly/clichée/outright bad. I'd link to TVTropes "Better Than It Sounds" page which is a collection of exactly those sentences, but TVTropes always tends to trap people, so I'm not gonna. Just believe me.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 16, 2011, 04:49:00 pm »

True.

Anyway, a tornado just came through my city. Thankfully, it seems infrastructure is intact enough for me to keep talking.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: November 16, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »

Okay. A brief run down.

Imperium - the empire of humanity. Founded by the God Emperor, who, funnily enough, promoted atheism throughout his walking life. However, this was to weaken the Chaos Gods, not because he didn't believe they existed. Allied with the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Adeptus Astartes, who are not, however, under their control. They have control of the Imperial Guard, who range from conscripted cannon fodder to elite soldiers fully capable of holding back enemy advances on their own. However, their main strength is their tanks.

They are protected from heresy and treason by two groups- the Inquisition and the Arbites. Arbites are effectively FBI, but with power armour, licence to kill anyone they damn well please, and are based throughout the Imperium. They enforce the law without mercy. They also conduct culls to maintain the population of a hive world at controllable levels, which basically means they go into the underhives and shoot several hundred thousand people, then go back for coffee and donuts and call it a day. The Inquisition are basically Arbites but without the mercy or compassion for people. They are above and beyond the law. They alone have the jurisdiction to order the destruction of a planet, known as Exterminatus.

The Imperium also has among them the Officio Assassinorum. Made of 6 clades, or groups. One clade does the electronic stuff, another works by poison, another is made to kill psykers by being unsensable by them and removing their powers, another works by brutally killing everything and everyone in the area just to make sure they got the right guy, another works by sniping, and the last works by infiltration and disguise such that they actually alter their own bodies.

They also have death cult assassins, who make their act of worship to the Emperor by killing his enemies.

Attached to the Imperium is the Adeptus Administratum. Think of the greatest amount of red tape in government work you could possibly imagine, and know that the Administratum is far less efficient than that. They make sure everyone pays their taxes.

Next comes the Adeptus Mechanicus. This is allied to but not controlled by the Imperium. They are the Tech Priests. They make things work by rituals. They're on the quest for knowledge, which involves finding an intact STC, not doing tech heresy like science or the like. They operate the Titan Legions. Think Mechwarrior, then think that the battlemechs are small compared to Titans. Their scout ones have as much firepower as the Battlemechs do. Large ones have huge ranges and the firepower to simply wipe cities off the map, as if they had never been there. They also maintain all the technology of the Imperium.

The Adeptus Astartes are the Space Marines. All male. All the people they 'harvest' for becoming a Space Marine are prime physical specimens, who are then indoctrinated, trained, and genetically modified to become superhuman. They can lose their heart and stay alive. They could lose both their lungs and survive. They could drink down poison as if it were water and survive. They can spit acid. They are better than humans in every single way. They can eat rocks. They can survive for several days fully awake and alert. They are faster than you, stronger than you, tougher than you. Their chest is bullet proof.

They're also not technically part of the Imperium.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 16, 2011, 05:00:04 pm »

Oh hey, that's a pretty useful reference guide there, Dsarker. I have some questions, though:
What exactly are psykers? I get that they have some kind of superhuman power, but what exactly are those and where do they come from? Are they even technically human? And how do the different groups think about them? Do they employ the Paranoia point of view where Having Special Powers Is Treason? Or are some psykers loyal servants to the Imperium and thus accepted?

I should probably just read the wiki instead of wasting everyone's time...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:06:36 pm by MC Dirty »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: November 16, 2011, 05:07:33 pm »

Psykers are people gifted with the ability to use psychic powers. That's it.

Psykers have a strong connection to the Warp, making them extremely potent and dangerous. Imperial psykers are usually rounded up and thrown into the Astronomicon, where their psychic powers are bled dry to make a gigantic beacon that Imperial ships use to navigate the Warp. Trained psykers are also used by the Imperial Guard as special support.

A psyker who tries to go against the Imperium is referred to as a witch. They are usually hunted down and killed.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: November 16, 2011, 05:10:32 pm »

Psykers are mutants who have the power to channel the warp. This is EXTREMELY dangerous, because it opens the door for Daemons, who can possess the psyker and do enormous damage. Untrained psykers are especially vulnerable to the temptation of Chaos.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 16, 2011, 05:57:34 pm »

Hey guys, I just finished a new fic that I've been working on. Please don't be too critical, it is only the third I've written for, and I didn't spend much time on it.

You can find it here.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: November 16, 2011, 06:06:15 pm »

I seem to not have access.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:46 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: November 16, 2011, 06:09:33 pm »

Oh gog that's beautiful.

I feel a sudden need to feed that fic into a text-to-speech program... just to hear this being read.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:11:18 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: November 16, 2011, 06:11:12 pm »

Trying too hard. Make it less obvious.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 16, 2011, 06:12:20 pm »

I think you managed to go past 'So Bad It's Good' personally. I can barely read it.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 153