Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.  (Read 10916 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: A tiny Skyrim thread. The physics of Giants and Dragons.
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 01:19:09 am »

Just so long as you can make your spells do it.

Then you could create the Prestige class <Pinball Wizard>.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 01:21:17 am »

Too bad construction pack isn't out yet. :(
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 01:29:23 am »

Then you could create the Prestige class <Pinball Wizard>

You would have to be deaf, dumb, and blind though.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:49 am »

Oblivion had Skooma, the taboo of the player's concience.

Skyrim has Giant Toe's.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 07:47:44 am »

Skyrim has Giant Toe's.

also skyrim has skooma O_O
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 08:23:56 am »

Skyrim has Giant Toe's.

also skyrim has skooma O_O

Giant toes are better, I've tried both.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 10:08:57 am »

Even in the USA, which has had plentiful food for centuries and a culture of over eating, the average weight is 86kgs, and is likely so high because around 30% of the country is morbidly obese, with up to 60% being overweight.

This average is still among the highest in the world. For comparison, the Swedes are on average an inch taller than the Americans, but weigh on average 80kgs. Skyrim's people, being a medieval sort, likely don't have access to the steady, good food for generations that the West does, so would likely be much shorter and lighter than us, but to what degree I'm not sure. Perhaps look at current unstable regions for the information.

Others have said this too but it just blows my mind anyone could think 99kgs is an average weight.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 10:13:59 am »

I like how the player in the video leveled up as he was smashed into orbit.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 10:43:33 am »

Others have said this too but it just blows my mind anyone could think 99kgs is an average weight.

Too be fair, the average American or Swede isn't wearing a full set of armor and a pack filled with god knows how much random loot.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:02 am »

Even in the USA, which has had plentiful food for centuries and a culture of over eating, the average weight is 86kgs, and is likely so high because around 30% of the country is morbidly obese, with up to 60% being overweight.

This average is still among the highest in the world. For comparison, the Swedes are on average an inch taller than the Americans, but weigh on average 80kgs. Skyrim's people, being a medieval sort, likely don't have access to the steady, good food for generations that the West does, so would likely be much shorter and lighter than us, but to what degree I'm not sure. Perhaps look at current unstable regions for the information.

For a regular norse man, a weight of around 70-80 kg is healthy and just fine, assuming Nords are equivalent of the norse. However, all men in Skyrim seem to have been working out for years, which would shift that average weight to some 75-90 kg. Add in chainmail and a sword and you're not too far off.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 11:28:45 am »

this video is another fine example of SCIENCE! at work.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »

If you want to find the actual acceleration/distance from the ground that someone is launched, you just have to time it. Then use the formula for gravity on half the time (initial speed = final speed, so each half of the trip should have the same speed at end point). I believe there is no wind resistance in this game, but it is a possibility, but we can just chalk it to error margin.

So let's say 10 seconds to go up, 10 seconds to go down...

9.8 m/s^2 = something something
Ack, brain isn't used to do math anymore.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 02:37:11 am »

If you want to find the actual acceleration/distance from the ground that someone is launched, you just have to time it. Then use the formula for gravity on half the time (initial speed = final speed, so each half of the trip should have the same speed at end point). I believe there is no wind resistance in this game, but it is a possibility, but we can just chalk it to error margin.

So let's say 10 seconds to go up, 10 seconds to go down...

9.8 m/s^2 = something something
Ack, brain isn't used to do math anymore.

if it takes 10 seconds to reach the pinnacle, you've had 9.8ms^-2 for 10 seconds, meaning you had a speed of 98 m/s discounting air resistance etx, which means you'd have a kinetic energy of (100kg*(98m/s)^2)/2 = ~500 kJ.

Distance is equal to (9.8ms^-2*10^2)/2= 490m into the air.

(mostly seeing if I could remember physics from a couple years back)

I say we use these figures to set up a space program. We won't be the first to put mer on the Moon (mumblefuck mumblefuck Vivec rhubarb mumblefuck), but we'll give it out best shot.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:45:13 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 12:00:29 pm »

The imperials had a space program.  They've been on the moons.  (The altmer did as well, Vivec's also messed around there too)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:40 pm »

I believe there is no wind resistance in this game, but it is a possibility, but we can just chalk it to error margin.
Most modern physics engines take into account some measure of drag. Everything looks extremely silly without it (though often silly with it, as it's incredibly overdone in many engines). It's easy to tell by watching thrown objects rotate - if the rotation slows before hitting the ground, there's drag. The problem is that the numbers are probably fudged to "look right" so there's no real telling how much the character's body has without access to the object definition, and if it's fudged in the wrong direction you could be looking at feather vs. anvil differences in density.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4