Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Law: water can not prevent dehydration  (Read 15677 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Law: water can not prevent dehydration
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »

But our electronic devices already /run/ on magic! An invisible, pervasive force we barely understand, built through the combination of rare materials (for the physical) and symbols arranged in specific ways to create the desired effect? That sounds like magic to me...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2011, 08:46:20 pm »

Throw out all your electronic devices, we're starting over with magic instead.
Sounds good. I'll start researching elemental alchemy right away.

Combine fire and water and you get... steam! Amazing!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »

No, no! You're doing it wrong, you've wrapped right back around to science!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2011, 02:31:55 pm »

They're talking about bottled water here. You can live fine without that one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »

The issue is, you might be able to say it "helps" prevent dehydration, but it is not, in fact, enough to prevent dehydration alone, since lack of water is only one possible cause of dehydration, so you can't say it "prevents" dehydration all by itself.

Although I just realized the original quote actually says "significant quantities of water reduces the risk of developing dehydration", so it might be a combination of the above AND the whole "significant" thing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:52:42 pm by GlyphGryph »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »

So what you're telling me is that I really need to drink water and have enough salts in my diet to remain hydrated?

So... we should all drink ocean water to remain hydrated! SCIENCE!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2011, 02:55:13 pm »

No, no, MAGIC!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2011, 03:07:24 pm »

No, no, MAGIC!
No no no, magic is measured in Merlins and science is measured in Newtons. This is entirely different!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2011, 03:12:31 pm »

Ok, I don't know if the conclusion makes sense or not, or that water can or cannot prevent dehydration, but in both cases it's a meaningless thing to put in advertisement. Besides the "significant amounts" part. "MORE WATER" != better. Enough water - not too little, not too much. Too much water can cause a loss of electrolytes (THIS IS BAD, YOU CAN TURN INTO A PILE OF GOO, OR EXPLODE LIKE THAT GUY IN "THE TUXEDO"). Tap water actually has minerals added partly for this reason.

You like-a da water, yeah? The water is good, ah? I get you more water!

You don't like it? Ahh. You like a leetle bit of water. You don't like too much, huh? Leetle bit-a water ees good!

You enjoy.

Also, I would stop people from making that kind of statements in their advertisements just like I would ban Pringles for saying "Eating significant amounts of Pringles can help prevent a lack of Pringle-powder in your organism."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2011, 04:25:04 pm »

It sounds like the equivalent of somebody saying, "Hitler was right that a vegetarian diet can be healthy" and everybody starts shouting that I said "Hitler was right".

I think this describes fairly well what's going on here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2011, 04:47:11 pm »

"Hitler was right".
REPORTED YOU TERRIBAD PERSON

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2011, 04:48:22 pm »

Tempted to sig you out of context....
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2011, 05:03:31 pm »

Do eeet.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2011, 05:10:23 pm »

It is done!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »

Hold on a second, we're talking about Der Dritte Union here, not some backwater would-be leader that killed someone's dog and drew vulgar signs on people's clothing. Our rights to put baseless claims on water bottles and sell them at a premium are important!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8