Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Circle of Magi I:T.R.o.M.;Chapter 3: Once a Saint ...  (Read 26357 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2011, 11:53:16 pm »

"How exactly do we use magic?"
That, and ask how we can counteract the creature's fear power.
Soaplent green is goblins!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic; Update 6 - First Casting
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2011, 01:16:51 am »

He lets out another long laugh, and says "You will learn all of this in time my child. In the end most of what you seek will come to you, and now you must leave, but I will give you a gift before you depart." With that he hands you a thin book covered in leather, and with no title. "It will help you in your travels my child." he says, and with that the darkness begins to fade as light over takes it, and just as it disappears he calls out "In times of great need we may meet again." And as his final words fade, you find yourself back in the real world with the flames growing ever closer.

You feel a burning sensation in your chest, and behind the back of your eyes, as if some unknown power is flowing into you, and just as you feel you may pass out you throw up your hands, and scream into the air. A burst of air flies forth from your body, extinguishing the fire, and pushing the being from before up against a tree. Just as it regains its footing spears of earth erupt from the ground a pierce it, where the earth pokes into his skin it bursts into flames. The creature begins howling in pain, and a disgusting smell fills your nostrils causing you to lurch forward, and fall towards the ground.

Just before you impact the earth turns to sand, and you land in it with a soft, muffled thump. Looking up you see the last bits of the being burn away, and the Magi rushes over to you coming to rest hovering above you. The darkness begins to fill your vision, and you feel you have time to say something to him, but what?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2011, 01:20:50 am »

"[Direction of village]... [Location of home]... You owe me one... urk."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2011, 01:22:26 am »

Barking... Cryptic... Cloaked... Bastard...
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic; Prologue Ends
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2011, 01:47:02 am »

You try to tell him directions to your home, but all you manage to get out is "Sleeping Dragon .... Cryptic .. Cloaked ... Bastard." And then the light slowly fades from your view. You can hear the violent laughter of the Magi for a minute, or so before the darkness completely swallows you, and you find yourself in complete darkness.

Prologue Ends

Spoiler: Update Compilation (click to show/hide)

Okay well there we go this is the end of the Prologue, and we are now advancing into the first chapter. I want to take this chance to ask what you guys think, so far of my writing, and if there is anything I can do to improve. I also want to take this time to introduce you to the book the god gave you, the Book of Truth, its basically your stats, and inventory screen, as well as your spell book. It'll look something like the following.

Spoiler: Book of Truth (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 01:53:12 am by adwarf »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2011, 01:50:00 am »

's all good. Bit of trouble with grammer, but it's minor.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2011, 01:55:39 am »

's all good. Bit of trouble with grammer, but it's minor.
That is good, and before you guys (Or Gals) go getting any ideas that bit of magic we just did is strictly a one time thing as it was our first casting. (At least for a while)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic; Prologue Ends
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2011, 02:54:04 am »

Of course. But anyway, on to magic shenanigans!
Soaplent green is goblins!

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2011, 12:00:01 am »

What is the book of truth, exactly?
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2011, 12:33:10 am »

It is a magical item that acts as your status spoiler basically. It will also, after you have learned the spells, record them for further use, and allow you to look up information about specific creatures if you have read about, seen, or fought one before.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:26 am »

Quick question: does magic work like how I toss stuff around in the various RTD's I'm in (Use water magic to suck out his blood!) or is it solely 'cookie cutter fireball only', or maybe somewhere in between or off to the left?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2011, 01:02:53 am »

Magic is very hit, and run it may do precisely what you desire (Like sucking out his blood, but such complex spells are very difficult.), or it may do something completely different than what you wanted to it.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic; Chapter 1: It Begins ..
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2011, 03:15:32 am »

Chapter 1: It Begins ...

After what seems like only a few minutes you wake up to find yourself back in your room. A small fire crackles in the corner, a owl hoots outside, and you can hear the sound of voices coming from the kitchens below. You sit up, brushing the covers off you, and the bed gives a low creek. 'I really hate that bed.' you think as you pull your clothes on, and give a quick look around the room for anything out of the ordinary. You don't notice anything at first, but just as you go to leave the room you notice the book the God had given you lying on your table with the words 'Book of Truth' written on the front.

"Truth my ass you cryptic bastard." you mumble as you pick it up, and flip it open you find it shows what your wearing, how you feel, everything, including something about magic you don't quite understand. Just as you snap the book closed you hear raised voices coming from downstairs, and wonder if you should go down, and try to over hear them, or simply stay up here, and wait for them.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:27:09 am by adwarf »

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2011, 03:25:36 am »

> Go down and try to over hear them.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic; Chapter 1: It Begins ..
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2011, 11:03:29 am »

You decide it would be best to go, and try to over hear them, so you open the door, and step out into the hallway ... on the creaking floorboard. Quickly moving off that floorboard, and shutting the door, which closed more, or less silently, you stop, and listen to see if anyone heard you, but the arguing was still going on downstairs. Looking down you start to walk forward, stepping over the fifteen, or so creaking floorboards that litter the upstairs hallway. It takes about a minute, but you finally reach the top of the stairs, and creep down stopping at the door to the kitchen where the voices are coming from. You look through a crack in the door, and see the Magi, your mother, and father gathered around a table.

"Your daughter has been chosen to be a Magi, I am sorry, but there is nothing we can do to change that fact. She will have to come with me to the Academy." The Magi says, but your Mother quickly replies, and its quite clear shes flustered, "I will not allow that, my daughter deserves to have a life of her own. And being a Magi is no life at all! Its dangerous, and most people are terrified of the Magi!" After that there is a moments silence as your Mother stands up, and gets more tea for the Magi, she might be angry, but shes still an excellent hostess. But what if you want to go to the Academy? Did you mother think of that?

Wait do you want to go, and what should you do?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18