Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717409 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #315 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:47 pm »

Yeah, those thoughts do tend to occur after the initial 'that could have been food' reaction. S'just the 'food' comes first. Comes from converting pretty much all expenses into 'this could have fed me for X period,' yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #316 on: January 03, 2012, 11:57:04 pm »

My understanding is that a lot of low level staff in any campaign is equally likely to be a die-hard supporter of their candidate or just some guy doing a job.  And even those two aren't mutually exclusive.  Not that I'm saying the money wouldn't be better spent creating clean water infrastructure in the third world.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:38 am »

If people want to be charitable with their money or make advertisements with it, it's their choice. and the people who receive the money don't just carry it around and keep it forever, you know, they spend it.

Anyway, a money per vote graph is skewed based on the number of votes one gets...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 04, 2012, 12:11:17 am »

Yeah.....that's kind of the point. It's a measure of the effectiveness of your campaign.  ???

Anyways, I forgot that NH comes before SC. So Huntsman will probably fold before even SC, as I don't see him even placing in NH. And if he can't get a top-3 finish there (note: he can't), there's really no hope for him anywhere outside of Utah or possibly Nevada.

Perry and Bachmann will be unlikely to even break single digits in NH. It'll come down to Romney v. Paul with Gingrich and Santorum as the outsiders looking in. I'd project Romney-Paul-Gingrich-Santorum for the 1-4 finish in NH, but we'll have to see how much more exposure this race gets Santorum.

Ya gotta hand it to the guy. Santorum can't be accused of outspending his opponents or even any heavy-duty smear tactics or negative ad blitz. He won the old-fashioned way, by getting out there and pressing the flesh (perhaps an unfortunate metaphor in his case). Dude went door-to-door, kissed those babies, judged those Best Pig contests, and met with every Ladies' Rotary from Sioux City to Davenport.

Problem is, you can only do that intensively in *one* state at a time. He ain't got time to match that level of ground action in New Hampshire and South Carolina. At this point, he's just gotta pray that voters are so disenchanted with the field that they'll jump on anybody who seems to have the slightest momentum. Which, considering the field...is altogether possible. If he can crack the top 3 in NH (a place far more fiscal conservative than social conservative), he's got a legit shot.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 04, 2012, 12:13:52 am »

Huntsman has been spending all his time in New Hampshire, and from what I can tell it's been going swimmingly. John McCain did it and got the nomination, he might yet pull it off.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 04, 2012, 12:15:01 am »

When I turned off the TV during MSNBC's coverage they were talking about a Perry announcement that he was suspending his campaign. So... now he's semi-officially out I guess.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 04, 2012, 12:21:33 am »

How many votes have been cast for Lizard People?

Buddy Roemer has got your back.
#BuddyRoemer Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. "@fivethirtyeight: 6 votes for Lizard People just counted in Allamakee County”

Yeah, I saw that about Perry "re-assessing" his campaign. Typical....all hat, no cattle. I suppose he could still pull a Ross Perot and jump back in if neither Santorum nor Romney win New Hampshire.

Admittedly, it should be noted that the last Republican to win Iowa and then actually win the nomination was Bob Dole back in 1996. And he did it with a painfully low margin of 26%. Which is one point more than either Santorum or Romney is projected to get (whichever one wins...they're less than 100 votes apart at this point).

@BSG: Looking at the latest polling, Huntsman's still in 4th place in NH. I don't see his supporters peeling off to follow Santorum, so I dunno...maybe he takes 4th after all. Still won't be enough to really give him a reason to stay in. He'll be invisible in the SC results. Don't get me wrong, I *wish* Huntsman were doing better, I halfway like the guy. Hell, he's fluent in Mandarin, how can I not like that? But I fully recognize that he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning with the GOP in the condition it's in these days.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:27:42 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 04, 2012, 12:33:30 am »

Quote from: BBC News
Preliminary results from the Iowa caucuses show Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney locked in a tie, with Ron Paul finishing third.

With 98% of votes counted, they are separated by 41 votes.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 04, 2012, 12:44:33 am »

Current margin that I'm aware of is five votes. Wow.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 04, 2012, 12:45:27 am »

Current margin that I'm aware of is five votes. Wow.
I hope Buddy Roemer tweets that he played spoiler tonight. xD

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 04, 2012, 12:47:02 am »

Quote from: BBC News
Preliminary results from the Iowa caucuses show Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney locked in a tie, with Ron Paul finishing third.

With 98% of votes counted, they are separated by 41 votes.
Now where are all those people who said that they wouldn't vote because their votes wouldn't count? Part of me wants to wave this in their faces a little <_<
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:07 am »

It gets better.

Quote from: Associated Press

With 99% of votes counted, Mr Santorum led by five votes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 04, 2012, 01:10:25 am »

I wasn't expecting Santorum to make any kind of a comeback, but hey, it's not like Iowa's been very indicative in these recent decades.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 04, 2012, 02:35:47 am »

'Final' announcement has Romney winning by 8 votes.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2012, 02:45:31 am »

Well I'm not 8 people, so my vote wouldn't count.  :P
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 714