Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721274 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #435 on: January 05, 2012, 12:22:05 am »

I would vote Vegeta over Perry.
Friend, I would vote Frieza over Perry. And Frieza has an established track record of destroying actual planets when they get uppity. Also, spoiler alert.

Wait, unless we're talking about the fermented pear beverage. That would totally get my vote.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 05, 2012, 12:23:44 am »

Atheist church

Anyone else see a problem here?
You mean aside from the fact that atheism does not have a clergy, holy texts, divine laws, ceremonies, or anything that the term "church" could imply?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 05, 2012, 12:25:13 am »

Atheist church

Anyone else see a problem here?
You mean aside from the fact that atheism does not have a clergy, holy texts, divine laws, ceremonies, or anything that the term "church" could imply?

That, and the fact that "the Atheist church" (note the definite article) sort of implies that atheism is tied to a specific organization.

A church or religion can be atheistic, as theism is not necessary for faith or religion, but "the Atheist church" is a bit nonsensical.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 05, 2012, 12:26:26 am »

To be fair, he didn't say Church of Atheism. There's a subtle difference! What we simply have here is a group of people that gather, presumably in some sort of stadium or web site, and worship no god. They may also have charities and similar outreach programs.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:52 am »

Call it a club or a society then. "Church", at least in my mind, implies religious beliefs, which atheism by definition lacks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:12 am »

Sounds to me like it'd be pretty easy to be an atheist priest, then.

That, and the fact that "the Atheist church" (note the definite article) sort of implies that atheism is tied to a specific organization.
Naah, just that there's some organization calling itself "the Atheist church." Could be a supermarket, for all we know, that just happened to file whatever paperwork's needed to ordain ministers. I'm not actually sure what you need to be able to ordain ministers.

Call it a club or a society then. "Church", at least in my mind, implies religious beliefs, which atheism by definition lacks.
As G-Flex notes, not true. It's possible to have religious beliefs without theistic beliefs.

But, uh, can we rerail now, or is the train just shaking in the wind a bit?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:52 am »

a group of people that gather, presumably in some sort of stadium or web site, and worship no god.

Damn Sithisists.
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 05, 2012, 12:32:37 am »

I'm not sure how you can "have religious beliefs without theistic beliefs", but fine. Let's get this train back on the tracks, I want to hear some more facepalm-worthy election news.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:39 am »

See Confucianism, etc.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 05, 2012, 12:36:10 am »

To be fair, he didn't say Church of Atheism. There's a subtle difference! What we simply have here is a group of people that gather, presumably in some sort of stadium or web site, and worship no god. They may also have charities and similar outreach programs.

Yeah, but the fact that he used the definite article ("the Atheist church") normally would imply that it is the church of Atheists.

I'm not sure how you can "have religious beliefs without theistic beliefs", but fine.

Religion doesn't necessitate gods. See: Some flavors of Buddhism.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 05, 2012, 12:39:07 am »

I said
Let's get this train back on the tracks, I want to hear some more facepalm-worthy election news.
C'MON PEOPLE! D:

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 05, 2012, 01:01:46 am »

I'm not American but those comments below the quiz make me a sad panda. Happy 2012, Bachman's going to nuke the moon and then send all the homosexuals there. Ugh.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 05, 2012, 01:16:03 am »

Jeez. Some Christian she is. If those are both things that have to happen, the merciful thing to do would be to reverse the order. Unless sufficient equipment for likely survival on the moon is to be provided, I suppose, but considering who we're talking about here, the biggest concession in that direction will probably be a burlap sack filled with air and/or potatoes, and a megaphone to help overcome the problems with speaking in an airless environment. There will be several hours of nationally televised debate over whether or not this is feasible survival gear.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 05, 2012, 01:23:00 am »

Well, there are these special unscientific comments by Santorum: " I reject that number completely, that people die in America because of lack of health insurance"

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/santorum-no-one-has-ever-died-because-they-didnt-have-health-care/politics/2011/12/06/31304

Then there's the whole controversy with being entirely strictly anti-abortion and ended up having his wife undertake what might be construed as an "abortion" for her safety.

I don't blame him for anything regarding going through with the abortion, I do blame him for seeking to deny others that opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:26:59 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2012, 01:43:59 am »

Well, there are these special unscientific comments by Santorum: " I reject that number completely, that people die in America because of lack of health insurance"

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/santorum-no-one-has-ever-died-because-they-didnt-have-health-care/politics/2011/12/06/31304
Welp, there's my rage quotient for the week. It apparently is possible to be that frakking blind. I'm not entirely sure how it's possible, but it's apparently possible.

How can someone say that, really? What combination of factors results in saying something like that, that flies completely in the face of reality? I mean, we're not talking somewhat understandable, such as religiously fueled self-deception or possibly contestable axioms; death due to the inability to access or afford health care is an absolute fact in the US. Shit, I've known a few people, if somewhat indirectly, that's died because they couldn't afford care. And this sumbitch fellow is telling me it didn't happen? I cannot properly express in English how this makes me feel. Some sort of indignation raised to a factor of N, I guess. If it was more personal, as in I'd heard that in person, rage would be an appropriate descriptor.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 714