Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720788 times)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1635 on: February 08, 2012, 01:37:10 am »

How many delegates where awarded tonight?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 08, 2012, 03:47:19 am »

How many delegates where awarded tonight?

The elections were actually non-binding polls alongside party meetings choosing representatives who will later choose delegates. The polls tonight may (if the party reps so desire) inform their choice of delegates but officially they don't have to.

As for all the Santorum talk that strange scenario I posted was not supposed to be actually possible guys. My posts are meant to be random rants for pure amusement purposes. I'm getting scared here.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 08, 2012, 08:16:17 am »

The elections were actually non-binding polls alongside party meetings choosing representatives who will later choose delegates. The polls tonight may (if the party reps so desire) inform their choice of delegates but officially they don't have to.

The races last night weren't purely for show.  Colorado and Minnesota were non-binding in theory but not in practice, sort of like how the electoral college doesn't have many defections.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1638 on: February 08, 2012, 11:06:12 am »

If Gingrich and Santorum teamed up, I think they could steal the nomination. I also think that people would be pouring out of the woodwork to vote Obama, just to prevent that nightmare.

I fear you may be overestimating how many people find that to be a nightmare scenario.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 08, 2012, 11:12:48 am »

Santorum gets in, how far do you think the guy responsible for that google thing needs to run to survive?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1640 on: February 08, 2012, 11:20:07 am »

Edit: I was being too harsh
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:31:59 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:42 am »

These are the republican caucus attending populations of these states.  They are no where near representative of the states as a whole.  Minnesota is in fact one of the most progressive states in the union, the only state in which the Farmer-Labor party survives to this day (as part of the democratic-farmer-labor coalition) and was the only state to vote democratic in every one of the last 9 presidential elections.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:32:29 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 08, 2012, 11:34:16 am »

Minnesota is in fact one of the most progressive states in the union

Some parts of it certainly aren't. I've heard incredibly bad things about Bachmann's district, what with rabid anti-homosexual bias and, you know, that string of teen suicides they had, mostly gender/orientation-related.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 08, 2012, 01:18:39 pm »

Yeah, it ain't all Lake Woebegon. The urban areas trend left-of-center, and the population distribution is such that the cities tend to outweigh the countryside. But you never can tell. This is the state that elected Jesse Ventura as Governor, after all.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 08, 2012, 01:28:30 pm »

Minnesota is in a odd place.

From our point of view, we are basically the last part of civilization until you get to the coast. We have a very large city and the surrounding suburbs are very nice. But once you drive out for a hour or so it turns into rural backwoods place. I dunno. I guess I am not surprised to much that Santorum won. But he has basically no chance of ever taking the state in a election. I know if he somehow makes it what Barbarossa describes will happen. People will spontaneously consolidate out of thin air to vote against him.

Followed by a eight year recount of course.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:58 pm »

Yeah, it ain't all Lake Woebegon. The urban areas trend left-of-center, and the population distribution is such that the cities tend to outweigh the countryside.

This describes almost every state in the union.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 08, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »

Yeah, it ain't all Lake Woebegon. The urban areas trend left-of-center, and the population distribution is such that the cities tend to outweigh the countryside.

It's slightly more complicated then that, it breaks down into outlooks of specific demographics better then rural vs urban, but yeah, basically.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 08, 2012, 02:22:02 pm »

Except Wyoming, Idaho, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alaska, and various other rural red states, where the countryside outweighs the relatively small urban population. The "swing" states are basically those where the cities either aren't all that blue, or the cities and countryside are roughly in balance electorally. Even my home state isn't that urban. What shifts things more blue (and made a big difference in 2008) is that the eastern 1/3 of the state, while rural, is also predominantly African-American. So you get a differential in party identification from what you'd expect based purely on a urban/rural ratio.

By contrast, almost 60% of Minnesota lives in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area. That's unusually concentrated for a Midwestern state, and makes the state bluer overall, although it still leave plenty of room for deep red countryside.

EDIT: Montague's right, I should be saying "relative population density" instead of urban/rural. There's plenty of established research showing the link between population density and party identification.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:35:39 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »

Go, go, go Santorum. Please win the nomination, thereby discrediting the batshit fundy part of your party for the next decade.

Argh. Why, why, why does somebody like I, an upstanding member of the Christian Far Left, have to be lumped in with him? *mutter mutter*

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 08, 2012, 02:34:47 pm »

Go, go, go Santorum. Please win the nomination, thereby discrediting the batshit fundy part of your party for the next decade.

Argh. Why, why, why does somebody like I, an upstanding member of the Christian Far Left, have to be lumped in with him? *mutter mutter*

Disasterous presidencies never discredit anything. The True Believers will never be discouraged from doing the same thing the next possible chance they have. If their reign was a failure, it's because they're faith was'nt strong enough and they are obligated to try harder next time.

Also, 'Christian Far Left' has always made more sense to be then 'Christian Far Right'. How does capitalism have anything to do with Christianity or Christian values? Do people just skip over the red-lettered words in their Bibles or what?

(edited for blasphemy)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:55:53 pm by Montague »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 714