Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717464 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1935 on: February 15, 2012, 05:11:07 pm »

Someone's personal life is not irrelevant to politics, to me.

You can't be a shitty person in your day-to-day life but somehow become a beneficent ruler when it becomes your job.

JFK, shitty in person. Good President. Jefferson, shitty in person. Good president. Clinton, shit in person, good president.
Adolf hitler, the marble man of clean living. Auschwitz.

Enough said. This is why I don't care about presidents personal lives.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:17:09 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: February 15, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »

What? Clinton was pretty great. EDIT: You switched em!

Jimmy Carter is the posterboy for "great guy, terrible president."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:11 pm »

What? Clinton was pretty great.

Jimmy Carter is the posterboy for "great guy, terrible president."

What I meant, and yet another example of why their marriage or anything else personal doesnt matter.

E. Yeh was a typo, but the forum is being a bitch.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:19:58 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1938 on: February 15, 2012, 05:21:07 pm »

Adolf Hitler is one of your examples of "clean living" "bad leader"? Really?

He was a syphilitic meth head who raped his underage cousin until she killed herself.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: February 15, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

Adolf Hitler is one of your examples of "clean living" "bad leader"? Really?

He was a syphilitic meth head who raped his underage cousin until she killed herself.

He was on drugs due to his wounds from ww1 and the 'raping of his underage cousin'? I've never seen anything credible on this ever other than in a film. Even in that he didn't rape her he was just overprotective.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:28:13 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: February 15, 2012, 05:24:05 pm »

Someone's personal life is not irrelevant to politics, to me.

You can't be a shitty person in your day-to-day life but somehow become a beneficent ruler when it becomes your job.

JFK, shitty in person. Good President. Jefferson, shitty in person. Good president. Clinton, good in person, shitty president.
I think you dyslexia'd Clinton. There's a reason the Onion's headline after Bush won was "Our National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over" (Incidentally, the most terrifying prescient piece of satire ever.) Dude had questionable personal morals (although I think on the whole he's a good guy), but his record as President is pretty damn solid.

To me, it's not that Gingrich is a slimebag. It's that he pretends not to be a slimebag, gets defensive about being called a slimebag, and has the brass motherfucking cajones to try and turn being questioned about being a slimebag into a badge of honor.

It's not his personal life that bothers me, it's his personal hypocrisy.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: February 15, 2012, 05:26:37 pm »

I think Gingrich pretty much says what I say, it has no relevance. From what i've seen and heard also, some of the personal stuff on him might be fabricated/false.
Let's look at the other candidates, all are basicly clean living models of morality, and their policies are batshit insane.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: February 15, 2012, 05:28:13 pm »

I don't really care that he cheated on his wife. I care that he bailed on several wives while they were sick and probably in need of their significant other. I care that he talks about all the ebil done during the Obama administration when he was directly profiting from it before and after the financial meltdown.

JFK, shitty in person. Good President. Jefferson, shitty in person. Good president. Clinton, shit in person, good president.

JFK, shitty, really? Because he slept around? I guess saving his whole boat crew in Vietnam and carrying stricken crew members on his back, with a bad back, and swimming miles to find help makes him a person of low character. I guess being the sole voice of reason in a government hell bent on war with Russia and in Vietnam makes his personal character shit too.

I think you're cherry picking your examples while not really knowing about the people you're calling shit (in their personal or presidential lives.)

Let's look at the other candidates, all are basicly clean living models of morality.

Rule #1 in American politics. Politicians personal lives are not what they say they are. You only have to look to the closet Log Cabin Republicans to know the truth of that one.

And seriously. Saying Hitler took meth because of a war wound is like saying Rush Limbaugh eats painkillers like M&Ms because of the pain of being fat.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:30:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: February 15, 2012, 05:30:47 pm »

JFK, shitty, really? Because he slept around? I guess saving his whole boat crew in Vietnam and carrying stricken crew members on his back, with a bad back, and swimming miles to find help makes him a person of low character.

I think you're cherry picking your examples while not really knowing about the people you're calling shit (in their personal or presidential lives.)

JFK's morality is no better than Gingriches, as for the war heroism. Adolf hitler iron cross in ww1. It doesnt matter one iota what people do prior to or during their presidency in their personal lives.

I think you are having one set of standards for one person, and one for another.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: February 15, 2012, 05:32:33 pm »

JFK didn't have morals?  Seriously?  Someone who was born into a life of privileged and volunteered for dangerous duty when his nation needed him?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: February 15, 2012, 05:33:04 pm »

JFK didn't have morals?  Seriously?  Someone who was born into a life of privileged and volunteered for dangerous duty when his nation needed him?

So did Hitler..... how are you guys not getting this?

Also I didnt say he had no morals, I said what he has similar misgivings as gingrich, yet is hailed as a national hero.
Ergo, it doesn't matter for shit.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: February 15, 2012, 05:33:26 pm »

Do we really need this discussion?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: February 15, 2012, 05:35:18 pm »

I simply stated a politicians personal life doesn't matter and that their personal lives have little or no influence on whether they are good presidents or not. Infact it is often inversely the case.

Thats all i'm going to say, as this is an argument that will never end.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: February 15, 2012, 05:35:31 pm »

It doesnt matter one iota what people do prior to or during their presidency in their personal lives.

Then why don't we allow convicted felons to run for political office, or even vote?

I like how you equate JFK's morality to Gingrichs without providing anything to your argument, either. And are we really going to compare the Iron Cross, handed out in WWI to a genocidal maniac to saving the lives of fellow soldiers? Germany wasn't exactly a model of forward thinking in WWI, either. So I think your examples are pretty terrible.

You're right. We're mucking up the thread with non-relevant discussion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: February 15, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »

When you invoke Godwin you know that you are going to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 714