Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721083 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2460 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:50 am »

He clearly just took lessons from Rick Santorum in statistics.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2461 on: February 27, 2012, 11:38:29 am »

Look, the way the budget is put together, there are only three things that matter. In order, they are:

- The Military
- Medicare
- Pensions

If you eliminated, completely eliminated, everything else we would still be over budget. Any politician who says they will balance the budget with modest cuts is lying and an idiot.

If you want to balance the budget, your only option is something like this:

- End all wars and cut the remaining military budget by 50%.
- Reform medicine by shutting down HMOs and health insurance companies and rebuilding something more like the vastly more efficient European systems. OR simply stop providing any state-sponsored medicine and let the Baby Boomers die of obesity, diabetes, and pneumonia. I'm cool with either. Point is, we need to spend 50% less on medicine and take care of at least as many people as we do now.
- Reform pensions and salaries. It is heartbreaking to do this, but the numbers don't lie. The amount paid in salaries to no-longer-working federal workers is staggering.
- Quadruple the NASA budget. This is a meaningless increase- if I recall correctly, it's less than 1% of the military budget- and the explosion in R&D would be amazing.
- Raise taxes on the wealthy. Fix the capital gains exploit. Basic stuff.

Moving on to economic issues:
- Overhaul regulation. Small businesses are in a hopeless position; they are often expected to pay thousands of dollars merely to operate, and often the legislation that creates these limitations is more-or-less designed by the larger companies that dominate that field to act as a barrier to entry- effectively using the government to force a monopoly. While regulation to protect employees and avoid externalities is essential, so too is allowing new businesses to enter the market to compete with the cartels and monopolies that dominate the current economy.

- Replace oil in five years. Natural gas is the best bet- the US can mine it itself. The earthquake fears are quackery and the more serious concerns are universal to all oil mining, and foolish to foist off on others.

-Refresh the nuclear industry. Our current plants are decades old. We need more capacity and more safety. We will open a permanent nuclear waste repository somewhere like Nevada, and I don't care if there's three people there who don't like it. We need to get the waste away from its current storage places, concrete pools at maximum capacity on plant property. We will rebuild every existing power plant to be totally modern and we will build new plants as well.

The war on drugs, and other 'vice' enforcement, is a trivial amount of money. It's probably only a few times larger than the NASA budget. While it must be stopped immediately, it is not for economic reasons.

Reconstruct the justice department, from the top down. There is obvious, deep-seated corruption- that is the only real explanation for the total lack of prosecution over the massive economic crimes committed in the last few years.

Execute the supreme court for this whole "citizens united" treason business.

So yeah, and politician that does not subscribe to at least those beliefs is a lying scumbag that should be shot, drowned, poisoned and shot again.

Oh, and that's not touching on moral issues (stop drug war and go aggressive on the culture war, pro-civil-rights).
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: February 27, 2012, 12:30:40 pm »

I've worked for small businesses and the picture you paint of heavy regulation is foreign to me.  You can talk about specific industries with specific problems but in that case you are talking about specific industries not "small businesses".

Federal pensions amount to about 75 billion a year.  A significant chunk of change but hardly the cause of our budgetary problems.  And do you really want to both default on contractual obligations and chase away the people who are still going into government service?

New nuclear power plants cost more per watt then green energy.  Or at least they would if they didn't keep getting slowed or stopped because the costs are so high.  The cost of solar and wind is going down while the cost of new nuclear is not.  Why would anyone want to build another watt of new nuclear is beyond me.  Well actually it's not beyond me.  Nuclear is the "sensible" "moderate" position that shows you aren't an ideologue.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2463 on: February 27, 2012, 12:39:41 pm »

Building new feeder breeder reactors is also the only practical way to recycle "spent" nuclear fuel and solve the long term nuclear waste storage issue.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: February 27, 2012, 12:52:05 pm »

And solar power either requires expensive batteries that reduce your cost effectiveness calculations massively, or some sort of baseline power system to handle long lulls (usually coal based).

And let's be honest - those solar power calculations are based on areas ripe for solar exploitation or wind based turbines. Not everywhere in the world is like that, and those places still need power.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: February 27, 2012, 12:55:19 pm »

Solar thermal plants do not have the drawbacks of photovoltaic cells. A sufficient heat reservoir will be able to produce power overnight or longer.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: February 27, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »

Since overnight is basically the bare minimum, and certainly not enough to have any meaningful effect on the need for a baseline method of power generation, I would certainly hope so.

But I'm not talking about mere overnight use, but rather places that have long spells of excessively overcast weather.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: February 27, 2012, 01:09:15 pm »

Those are the locations you build nuclear plants, or you invest in a robust and efficient national power grid to distribute power, or both.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: February 27, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »

Which was exactly what I was saying, yes. Though at leas tin the US that second option is effectively impossible due to physics.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: February 27, 2012, 01:21:55 pm »

Which was exactly what I was saying, yes. Though at leas tin the US that second option is effectively impossible due to physics.

HVDC has a cost effective range of about 2500 miles, possibly more with superconducting cable (and that is becoming more practical as higher temperature superconductors are discovered/invented).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: February 27, 2012, 01:45:58 pm »

Huh... researching it, that sort of system is more viable than I'd originally understood to be the case - and apparently they've gotten line loss and whatnot down well below 15%, which is actually pretty impressive.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:20 pm »

And solar power either requires expensive batteries that reduce your cost effectiveness calculations massively, or some sort of baseline power system to handle long lulls (usually coal based).

Which wouldn't be a problem for another decade even with a very ambitious solar plant construction cycle.  Non-fossil fuel energy is just such a small part of the portfolio right now.  Give another decade for the cost of PV to keep falling and you can afford some more transmission loss and redundancy.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2472 on: February 27, 2012, 03:18:38 pm »

Yes. And to provide electricity for the next decade, we need nuclear. I'd prefer to go directly to renewables, but they aren't mature yet. Merely using more oil is not an option either, and coal is an atrocity that we can only hope that we will survive to regret.

We use a multi-stage fuel process- the breeder reactors- and phase out oil. Replacing gasoline, natural gas. (It's got electrolytes!) It's reasonably portable and energy-dense, can be produced here, and isn't as bad as oil.

At the same time, we will invest heavily in getting what renewables are available deployed. Eventually, the price of new renewable developments will become lower than nuclear, and we will finally phase into a mix of those sources.

Also, we will beat the Japanese to building a space elevator. Yes, it would be a technical challenge, but the materials are inches away, and the reward of building one is nothing more or less than a total monopoly on spaceflight.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: February 27, 2012, 04:09:46 pm »

What do you mean they aren't mature?  They are cheaper per-watt then nuclear.  If we installed them as quickly as possible they still wouldn't cut into our slack energy generation for at least a decade.  What's the problem?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: February 27, 2012, 04:15:59 pm »

They are cheaper per-watt then nuclear.
Do you actually have a cite for this?
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 714