Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717420 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2685 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:39 am »

In other news, Santorum takes Kansas, Romney takes Wyoming. Nothing really unexpected there.

Santorum beat expectations though, which is good news for those of us who want this clown show to continue.  It was actually the state where he gained the most delegates on Romney so far.  If Romney had just done 2% lower it would have been a shutout though.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: March 11, 2012, 03:12:29 am »

I'm in agreement with the above, let the show train-wreck drag on for the full course...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: March 11, 2012, 06:01:16 am »

I find it odd that Newt is polling #1 in Mississippi, followed by Romney.
Newt's "one of us". Southern conservatives like to vote for fellow good-ol'-boys. Whereas that Santorum feller is not only a carpetbagging Yankee, but probably comes off a bit too strident and preachy. As much as religion is of import in the South, there's also a saying that the reason Baptists are so keen to go to church on Sunday is because they need to make up for what they did on Saturday night. Newt is the kind of guy that they'd be out drinking with on Saturday night. (Although honestly, he uses too many 50-cent words. If Rick Perry was still in the race, he'd be obliterating Gingrich in the South...Perry seems like the kind of guy who actually has been out drinking most Saturday nights...)

That Romney is in 2nd...yeah, that's a bit odd. Maybe Santorum dissed the Confederate flag or something.

EDIT:
Nate Silver, hoopy frood that he is, put up this map to show how geographically-bounded the candidates' wins have been:

That bodes ill for Santorum, because frankly he's winning the "flyover states". Which inherently have lower population and fewer delegates than the two coasts that Romney is winning. Also, it means (not that this is shocking revelation or anything) that he's winning in states the GOP is likely to carry in November anyways. Romney's winning the swing states and blue states. The blue states are meaningless for the most part. There is no way that Massachusetts goes GOP in the general election. But winning the swing states does bolster Romney's argument for being the more competitive candidate to some extent.

The counter-argument to that being that diehard conservatives may be so disenchanted with a Romney candidacy that they'll stay home or vote 3rd party in protest, losing the swing states and possibly even costing him a few traditionally red ones. Could be a mirror image of 2004, where a deeply unpopular G.W. Bush won a bigger margin of victory for re-election than he did for his initial election, in part because of lukewarm support for John Kerry. Even though most people on the blue side of the spectrum would have voted for a dead woodchuck before they voted for Bush, and third party votes were extremely low because of what happened with Nader and Gore in 2000, the enthusiasm wasn't there. Which meant lower fundraising, weaker ground game, sluggish GOTV efforts.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:51:25 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2688 on: March 11, 2012, 11:56:35 am »

Believe it or not I would have thought that Mississippi would go for either Ron Paul... or don't shoot me... Obama. They are the only two left in the race with religion compatible with the Southern Baptist Convention. They can always get away with not wanting Obama by claiming he is a secret muslim, but both Mormons and Catholics are considered heretics in the SBC. I suppose Newt may be getting a boost down there because his commitment to Catholicism is about as strong as his commitment to his current wife (who is catholic and converted him).
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: March 11, 2012, 12:06:49 pm »

A few nitpicks
-The 2004 electorate was not disengaged.  2004 had the highest voter participation rate since 1964, especially in battleground states.
-Kerry did not depress the base.  When you are running against a wartime president who just cut taxes, unemployment is low, has more money then you and you are saddled with minority positions on the two highest profile social issues (partial-birth abortion, gay marriage) you are a massive, massive underdog.  That Kerry turned it into a squeaker is actually pretty darn impressive.
-Santorum isn't just winning states that are solidly republican.  Minnesota is one of the most reliably democratic states in the union.  Iowa is a swing state, Missouri and Colorado are both potentially in play.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: March 11, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »

Believe it or not I would have thought that Mississippi would go for either Ron Paul... or don't shoot me... Obama. They are the only two left in the race with religion compatible with the Southern Baptist Convention. They can always get away with not wanting Obama by claiming he is a secret muslim, but both Mormons and Catholics are considered heretics in the SBC. I suppose Newt may be getting a boost down there because his commitment to Catholicism is about as strong as his commitment to his current wife (who is catholic and converted him).

I now wish that did happen. It certainly would have been interesting to see a Democrat candidate win a Republican  primary.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: March 12, 2012, 07:44:10 am »

So, I suppose it's over now. Romney will win the convention, grudgingly, and lose the general election.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: March 12, 2012, 08:32:38 am »

So, I suppose it's over now. Romney will win the convention, grudgingly, and lose the general election.
Every single time this thing has looked like it's over, something has happened. I'm pretty sure Gingrich, at least, has said he's in this all the way until the convention, and Ron Paul is never dropping out. Not sure about Santorum, but considering he's in second place right now, I can't see him dropping out either. Every candidate has their own personal billionaire willing to drop a couple mil to see their favored horse run a little farther, so I don't see how this will end any time soon.

And if you just mean that Romney is probably winning the nomination, Romney has always been the presumptive nominee. It's a testament to his unlikeability that the man has managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory so many times.

e: "he is winning nominee" is not good english
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:22:50 pm by Darkwind3 »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: March 12, 2012, 09:09:19 am »

And if you just mean that Romney is the probably winning nominee, Romney has always been the presumptive nominee. It's a testament to his unlikeability that the man has managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory so many times.

You need to become a political writer. :P

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: March 12, 2012, 03:36:20 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/poll-more-half-mississippi-voters-obama-muslim-192027518.html

Yea, you know how I mentioned that mississippians can always claim the secret muslim card as a way to discount Obama. I now have figures to back up that claim.

Only 12% of likely GOP voters in Mississippi correctly knew Obama's religion, while ?52%? said he was a muslim.

Question marks because it isn't explicitly stating in the article, rather infered from 100% -12% - 36%.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: March 12, 2012, 04:53:40 pm »

52% is the number reported in the PPP survey, yeah. And 66% of surveyed Mississippian Republicans don't believe in evolution either.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: March 12, 2012, 05:48:29 pm »

Can I vote for you guys to kick Mississippi out? I mean, I'm not American, but still. Please?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: March 12, 2012, 05:50:40 pm »

In the Civil War, they wanted out.

Now we can't get rid of them! :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: March 12, 2012, 05:53:11 pm »

Can I vote for you guys to kick Mississippi out? I mean, I'm not American, but still. Please?

The southern 6 counties + Forrest county are fine. It is the delta/klan counties that hold the state back.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: March 12, 2012, 05:58:46 pm »

It's official, the populations South Carolina and Georgia will be sent to the moon to colonise it.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 714