Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717387 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2895 on: March 21, 2012, 07:45:11 pm »

Oh yeah, and former governor of Florida Jedidiah "The Smart One" Bush endorsed Romney.
Pretty much everyone I know in Florida: "Welp. There's another mark against Romney."

Though my acquaintances in this state are over represented by those affiliated with the public education system. Protip: Most teachers in Florida (that I know, anyway) hate Jeb's guts with a violent passion.

Did see that on TV in passing, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 22, 2012, 12:11:50 am »

Forgive me, maybe I'm a bit too cynical, but I don't really see what all the fuss about the Etch a sketch comment is about. It just sounds like a good opportunity for Romney's rivals to throw themed criticism at him rather than a significant gaffe in and of itself.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 22, 2012, 12:19:32 am »

Forgive me, maybe I'm a bit too cynical, but I don't really see what all the fuss about the Etch a sketch comment is about.

I think the problem here is you're not cynical enough.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: March 22, 2012, 07:41:23 am »

Forgive me, maybe I'm a bit too cynical, but I don't really see what all the fuss about the Etch a sketch comment is about. It just sounds like a good opportunity for Romney's rivals to throw themed criticism at him rather than a significant gaffe in and of itself.

He's saying that all the promises of conservatism that Romney has made so far will go out the window the second the primaries are over.  Kinda matters since Romney has a reputation for flip flopping.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:03 am »

The amusing part is of course, that Fehrnstrom is just saying a truth of modern campaigning: you run to your base in the primary, and to the middle in the general election. Both parties do it, and every candidate does it (except maybe Santorum and possibly Ron Paul -- which is why both are inherently unelectable).

But there's two things Fehrnstrom should have thought about:
A. It's a public secret that no candidate will admit to.
B. Your candidate in particular has an image problem with the base, who think he's only playing at being a conservative to begin with.

The fun part is that because this primary has gone on so long and become a "Who Wants To Be A Fringe Right-Winger?" contest, all the candidates have run so hard to the right that they're going to have a *very* hard time re-centering their campaigns for the general election. If it had stayed focused on the economy, Romney could have nuanced his way back to a centrist profile. But by forcing him to stake out solidly right-wing positions on things like immigration, reproductive rights and global warming, it gets a lot tougher for him to run as a centrist without coming off as completely fake and shifting to both the GOP base and the general electorate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

zekiel321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: March 22, 2012, 03:02:09 pm »

It's pretty significant since they are basically admitting they can erase anything that's been done then start over. Although it feels like that's how politics is in general, it isn't suppose to be said out loud lol. Well at least they found their new bumpersticker design hah

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 22, 2012, 04:15:00 pm »

To an innocent and foreign spectator like myself, this all feels a lot like Obama is going to win.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2902 on: March 22, 2012, 04:19:50 pm »

Probably, but I don't want to be optimistic.

Back in 2000, I thought Bush couldn't possibly win.

And then in 2004 I thought Bush couldn't possibly win.

Not that Obama is a particularly good president.

We are screwed either way, its just that Obama isn't quite as big of a prick.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 22, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »

I think I'd rather have a prick who isn't racing to disassemble our civil rights, than a suave democratic president who is more than willing to shred our protections for the sake of industry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:05 pm »

I think I'd rather have a prick who isn't racing to disassemble our civil rights, than a suave democratic president who is more than willing to shred our protections for the sake of industry.
... does that first bit describe any of the major runners?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2905 on: March 22, 2012, 04:28:17 pm »

So you would rather have a stilted republican who is racing to disassemble our civil rights and shred our protections for the sake of industry at a greater rate?

We have two choices:
D: destruction of our rights and protections for the sake of industry, with a tiny sliver of economic recovery.
R: destruction of our rights and protections for the sake of industry, total economic collapse and the rise the neo-christian taliban.

Edit: wow, so this is what my idea of optimism looks like...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:30:15 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 22, 2012, 04:35:13 pm »

Those are very bleak prospects indeed. Civil rights and freedoms are what made America great, it's terrible to see them being dismantled for the sake of big business and industry.

To quote a previous user on this site, I find it sad that the American people seem to have the stark choice between right wing or very right wing.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2907 on: March 22, 2012, 04:36:07 pm »

You see, that is why I want to secede, but when I suggest it everyone thinks I'm crazy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:52 pm »

You see, that is why I want to secede, but when I suggest it everyone thinks I'm crazy.

I don't think you're crazy. Secession is all the rage here, most of which I support. If secession will benefit you - go for it. California is enormous; just secede, embrace Mexican immigration and take on Spanish as a second official language. Become completely bilingual. It would do a lot of good for your children.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:40:43 pm by Owlbread »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 22, 2012, 05:40:14 pm »

The US has no official language. Romney didn't know that before Puerto Rico, apparently.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 714