Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720686 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3825 on: June 10, 2012, 06:26:29 am »

Also Paulites are really annoying.  I'm sure they'd be unbearable after winning an election :P.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:16 am »

So... this article here makes Ron Paul sound... decent.  Whats the catch?  I have not been following this guy before now.

EDIT: Oh hey... I found this nifty thing listing how he is on issues...  I'll find the time to read it later...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:10:16 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3827 on: June 11, 2012, 08:36:31 am »

So... this article here makes Ron Paul sound... decent.  Whats the catch?  I have not been following this guy before now.

EDIT: Oh hey... I found this nifty thing listing how he is on issues...  I'll find the time to read it later...

Ron Paul is only a "libertarian" at the federal level.
He fully endorses a states right to infringe on your liberties.
And even at the federal level, he has endorsed the infringement of liberties in order enact his religion as law.
Ron Paul has ties to the white supremacist movement.
Ron Paul is a free market zealot.
Ron Paul is a decent choice if you want to end America in favor for state level tyranny, complete corporate control, and christian theocracy.

Libertarianism is an idea with merit, but it is not without some serious flaws. But Ron Paul, in practice, is not a libertarian.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:57 am »

Yeah, it'd be more accurate to say he's a confederalist, if not a Confederate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: June 11, 2012, 10:21:21 am »

Nadaka's opposition to Ron Paul is a bit... hyperbolic.

Ron Paul does not by any means endorse state-level tyranny and is, in fact, outright opposed to it. So that's bullshit.

He does not believe in enacting his religion as law - yes, he's against abortion, but if you can't understand why someone would be against abortion, that's your problem, not his. If a person sees abortion as murder (which is a justified stance, even if I disagree), then its perfectly acceptable to pass laws against it - it's certainly not something limited to the religious.

Yes, he has unabashedly worked with some bad people in order to gain and keep his office - the only difference between this and other politicians is the sort of bad people he worked with, really.

Don't get me wrong, he's got a lot of crazy political ideas, I don't think many of them would work and I think he's a bad choice to vote for, but he's not evil - especially compared to many of his co-politicians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: June 11, 2012, 10:24:00 am »

Glyph, Ron Paul has directly stated that he feels that the states should be allowed to enact religious and behavioral law because they aren't the federal government and so the Constitution doesn't apply to them, or at least not as much.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: June 11, 2012, 10:30:00 am »

That is a true statement, but I was just stating that he doesn't think states SHOULD, which is the impression Nadaka's statement gave.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: June 11, 2012, 10:38:31 am »

That is a true statement, but I was just stating that he doesn't think states SHOULD, which is the impression Nadaka's statement gave.
Except that he has actively supported such laws in the past.

Have you read the "we the people act"? It was Ron Pauls attempt to directly and unequivocally allow states to bypass the US constitution and institute religious tyranny.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: June 11, 2012, 10:42:12 am »

Ultimately the dude's advocating self governance on the state level. He doesn't think someone in California should have a say on what goes in on Massachusetts, and stuff like that. What these states happen to actually do with their autonomy is up to them; he doesn't endorse any particular course of action, so long as the state decides it itself.

So yes it's hyperbolic to say he supports the worst possible scenario. He just supports it being possible if the people there want it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:20 am »

Except if you actually look at the law he tried to pass all the things you're allowed to bypass just happen to be on specific conservative hot button issues.  Essentially "people can bypass the constitution and make conservative legislation".  It's admittedly clever in a sneaky kind of way.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: June 11, 2012, 02:34:43 pm »

People will always find loopholes to attempt to make Grand Wizard Paul sound better, no matter what it is. He's an absolute master of spin. Good thing a majority of his supporters are hurr durr citizens with no real competence in voting, else we'd be seeing a lot more fucked up local governments than we do now.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:36:15 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: June 11, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/jeb-bush-says-gop-primary-boxed-romney-immigration-135228559.html

Oh... The cognitive dissonance.

"Bush told reporters at the breakfast that even Ronald Reagan would have a tough time winning the Republican presidential nomination in today's partisan climate, in which working with members of the other party is seen as a weakness. He called the current partisanship "disturbing" and blamed President Barack Obama for increasing the divide between Democrats and Republicans."

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:26 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/jeb-bush-says-gop-primary-boxed-romney-immigration-135228559.html

Oh... The cognitive dissonance.

"Bush told reporters at the breakfast that even Ronald Reagan would have a tough time winning the Republican presidential nomination in today's partisan climate, in which working with members of the other party is seen as a weakness. He called the current partisanship "disturbing" and blamed President Barack Obama for increasing the divide between Democrats and Republicans."
Does not compute... DOES NOT COMPUTE, DOES NOT COMPUTE, DOES NOT COMPUTE... *explosion.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »

Darn. Dubya almost had a coherent thought there. Luckily, his handlers interceded before he could complete it.

"Wow, things really are partisan, and everyone's just blamin' the other side automatically. But that would mean..."
*ZZZAP*
"...that the Democrats must to be blame."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: June 11, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »

Another bush, I think?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 714