Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720695 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4725 on: August 17, 2012, 06:38:25 pm »

Who the hell is Joe Biden?

(Seriously though, his incompetence is staggering sometimes.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: August 17, 2012, 07:30:22 pm »

..It's not as if the vice president has much responsibility..

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: August 17, 2012, 07:33:33 pm »

Unless the President dies or otherwise leaves office. Then he'd have a whole hell of a lot of responsibility.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: August 17, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »

Looks like a slightly clumsy metaphor.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: August 17, 2012, 09:08:07 pm »

In other news, CNN actually did its job as a responsible journalistic-type outfit, and fact-checked one of the jabbering heads it had on its program: John Sununu, one of Team Romney's advisers. He (and others in the Romney camp) have been floating this idea that Obama somehow "stole $700 billion" out of Medicare funding to fund the ACA.

The truth of it is that the CBO issued a report saying that if the ACA were repealed, Medicare funding would need to be increased by $716 billion over a ten-year period. Thus, by saving the government $716 billion in Medicare costs, Obama is "stealing Medicare funding."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: August 17, 2012, 09:33:50 pm »

Unless the President dies or otherwise leaves office. Then he'd have a whole hell of a lot of responsibility.
Who knows... maybe he will rise up to the challenge? 
Are all of his bloopers just related to what comes out of his mouth in the media?  Those are the only ones I've heard painting Biden as incompetent.

For now though, he could kick back and fail at speaking to the American public.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: August 17, 2012, 10:15:51 pm »

Yes, the rumors of incompetency come from his public speaking. From what I read in a few issues of Time Magazine over the past year, though, he's proven to be quite a diplomat. The voyage to Mongolia went particularly well.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: August 17, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »

I don't get how someone could both be an abysmally bad public speaker as Who The Hell Is Joe Biden while also being a skilled diplomat. They're at least somewhat related abilities.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: August 17, 2012, 10:20:46 pm »

Perhaps Biden just gets stage fright. Diplomats deal more with small groups and one-on-one interaction than public speaking.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: August 17, 2012, 10:23:04 pm »

That could be. His diplomatic missions don't get as much of a spotlight, so that could have quite a bit to do with it. I'd say there's quite a difference between brokering deals between 2-6 groups and speaking to hundreds of people at a time.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: August 17, 2012, 10:35:03 pm »

From what speeches of Joe Biden's that I've seen, he tends to ramble aimlessly because he doesn't prepare anything, and the whole damn speech turns into a convoluted mess directed only by a vague premise in a vague direction.

Besides, you don't need to be good at addressing crowds if you're selling something. Unless you're selling snake oil.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: August 17, 2012, 11:05:21 pm »

I dunno; I kinda like Biden for all his gaffes. He seems like he's a vice president who is "the president's man" rather than as someone making his own grabs for power. Cheney's problem was he came across as having his own agenda, having way too much power over the president, and being competent enough to pull off mischief if he felt like it. With Biden, you more get the feeling that in between doing the president's bidding, he sits back in a rocking chair and tells boring, long winded stories to whoever was unfortunate enough to be in the room at the time. :P

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: August 18, 2012, 12:00:14 am »

Don't forget Stuxnet.

You are holding this out against Obama?

Well, it's not like virtually every piece of intelligence leaked has made Obama look like a champ, and the fact these leaks have some very high officials names attached.

Owait.

Stuxnet is a virus designed to identify programs that run nuclear centrifuges that process weapons grade nuclear material and fuck them up. How is ridding the world of a few potential nukes a bad thing?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:03:51 am by Flare »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: August 18, 2012, 12:07:48 am »

The only problem with Stuxnet (in my opinion anyway) was the sheer hypocrisy of it.  The US government (was it Obama's administration?  I guess it was) said that a cyber attack on the US would be an instant declaration of war.  Then they proceed to launch a cyber attack on a foreign country.  Guess what the US government would have said if said country had declared war?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: August 18, 2012, 12:30:43 am »

Yeah, that is quite bad, although I think the circumstances give some justification for it though. Iran's push for nuclear capability isn't an affair without contention from its neighbors. Israel has on many occasions threatened to go to war over it. When the alternative is your ally with close military ties dropping physical bombs into another country, even though it didn't work out I think releasing a computer virus to complete the task instead is obviously the far better choice of the two.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 714