Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720946 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5085 on: August 28, 2012, 04:02:29 pm »

If you didn't cherry pick

Dude, seriously, you put stawman words in my mouth and then you accuse me of cherry picking.  That's chutzpah.  That's also a good reason why you are a bore to converse with.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: August 28, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »

Dude, seriously, you put stawman words in my mouth and then you accuse me of cherry picking.  That's chutzpah.  That's also a good reason why you are a bore to converse with.

Did you really just cherry pick my accusation of you cherry picking?

I'd advise you figure out what a strawman is, since "radical" in the context of my post was pretty clearly meant in contrast to "apathetic" or "neutral".
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: August 28, 2012, 04:34:44 pm »

PEACE GUYS

The U.N. Stars in : No more wars : A Peace Of The Action!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5088 on: August 28, 2012, 04:38:44 pm »

Did you really just cherry pick my accusation of you cherry picking?

I'd advise you figure out what a strawman is, since "radical" in the context of my post was pretty clearly meant in contrast to "apathetic" or "neutral".

Cherry picking is selecting individual points that fit your bias/agenda as if they are the whole truth while ignoring those points that contradict it. It is most definitely not selecting one thing out of many to disagree with or argue about. You did contradict yourself. You did put words in his mouth. Pointing that out isn't cherry picking.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: August 28, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »

Cherry picking is selecting individual points that fit your bias/agenda as if they are the whole truth while ignoring those points that contradict it.

Taking part of a statement completely out of context to imply it means something that it doesn't would qualify.
You did contradict yourself. You did put words in his mouth. Pointing that out isn't cherry picking.

Taking a specific part of an overall post and ignoring its context certainly is cherry picking. I contradicted myself if you conveniently ignore the "who vote" qualifier in the second post.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: August 28, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »

Taking part of a statement completely out of context to imply it means something that it doesn't would qualify.

Except it wasn't a completely reasonable statement.  You made a statement that was untrue and which is pretty commonly known to be untrue.  I provided a source saying it was untrue whereupon you proceeded to throw up a wall of monkey poo in my face.  This is not debate, this is you dancing around and changing the subject constantly then proceeding to taunt me for having, y'know, actual arguments.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:22:18 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: August 29, 2012, 08:26:11 am »

Schadenfreude is fun. :D

Do we have the exact numbers of the Paulites from the states?  I know Nevada, Maine, and Minnesota have a decent number of delegates for Ron Paul, but it doesn't seem like there would be enough for the GOP to lock them out of the process altogether.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: August 29, 2012, 08:57:29 am »

...Voting by who makes the most noice? What are they a rock concert audience?
Love, scriver~

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: August 29, 2012, 09:05:36 am »

Except it wasn't a completely reasonable statement.  You made a statement that was untrue and which is pretty commonly known to be untrue.  I provided a source saying it was untrue whereupon you proceeded to throw up a wall of monkey poo in my face.  This is not debate, this is you dancing around and changing the subject constantly then proceeding to taunt me for having, y'know, actual arguments.

You provided a source that proved something I hadn't said true (that union members are complete swing voters as opposed to, say, not voting period) and threw a hissy fit when I diverged from my initial argument in noting that your sources weren't entirely supportive of your first point (that union members are obviously heavily supportive of their unions because of the evil management, as opposed to mildly supportive or apathetic).

Now, back to the actual thread,

Schadenfreude is fun. :D

Do we have the exact numbers of the Paulites from the states?  I know Nevada, Maine, and Minnesota have a decent number of delegates for Ron Paul, but it doesn't seem like there would be enough for the GOP to lock them out of the process altogether.

Uh, IIRC they completely swept Nevada, Iowa, and Minnesota. The Maine delegation was replaced basically on the spot via voice vote with Romney supporters. They won Louisiana too, but after discovering that the Paulites had a majority at the state convention, the head of the Republican party there called the cops, had the Paulite delegates arrested, and promptly created a shadow convention with Romney supporters.

After all that, the Paulites actually managed to get the necessary 5 states for a floor fight, which would have made Romney look like an idiot and derailed his coronation, but the RNC then changed the rules and made it 8 states so as to avoid that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: August 29, 2012, 09:37:00 am »

...Voting by who makes the most noice? What are they a rock concert audience?
Some eyewitness reports say it wasn't even a real vote, and that the teleprompter was already set up to state that it passed.

The RNC just alienated all the Paulites. Consequences will never be the same.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5096 on: August 29, 2012, 10:06:16 am »

Maybe the paulites should vote libertarian instead of sticking with a party that does not want them? Who am I kidding, that will never happen.

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-oks-platform-barring-abortions-gay-marriage-204947742.html

So much for their earlier claims of "focusing on the economy"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:30:34 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: August 29, 2012, 11:20:41 am »

Maybe the paulites should vote libertarian instead of sticking with a party that does not want them? Who am I kidding, that will never happen.
No, you see RON PAUL is in fact the one true Republican, and therefore they should stay until everyone else in the party agrees with them.

(also Ron Paul is too crazy for the Libertarians)

EDIT: Oops, actually the Libertarians are equally crazy.  Nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:41:35 pm by Leafsnail »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25:12 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-oks-platform-barring-abortions-gay-marriage-204947742.html

So much for their earlier claims of "focusing on the economy"

The US is very heavily rigged towards the main two parties so far as election laws go, and the media isn't any better. For example, to make the debates, a candidate has to receive 15% of the vote in 3 consecutive polls (or something similar at least), yet the vast majority of polling companies don't even include third party candidates in head to head match ups. The only time a third party candidate is going to get anywhere is if he's a billionaire who self funds like Ross Perot.

EDIT: And in other news...
An attendee at the Republican National Convention in Tampa on Tuesday allegedly threw nuts at a black camerawoman working for CNN and said “This is how we feed animals” before being removed from the convention, a network official confirmed to TPM.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:32:21 am by GreatJustice »

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 714