Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717361 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5400 on: September 15, 2012, 04:26:20 pm »

But, but, but ... protocol. ;___;
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: September 15, 2012, 04:27:28 pm »

But, but, but ... protocol. ;___;

Protocol is for saps and monarchists. Be a rebel.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: September 15, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »

Owlbread, I just want to try to put the US Senate and 17th Amendment in a Scottish/UK context. Feel free to ignore this everyone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As for the monarchy I'm a bit of a republican (small r, always small r) in this sense. It doesn't make sense to get rid of the monarchy right now, but as an ideal state to work towards, and the natural result of independently good reforms, republicism is where I end up. And it's physically impossible to dislike Lizzy. That's science.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: September 15, 2012, 04:29:41 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: September 15, 2012, 04:38:43 pm »

Owlbread, I just want to try to put the US Senate and 17th Amendment in a Scottish/UK context. Feel free to ignore this everyone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As for the monarchy I'm a bit of a republican (small r, always small r) in this sense. It doesn't make sense to get rid of the monarchy right now, but as an ideal state to work towards, and the natural result of independently good reforms, republicism is where I end up. And it's physically impossible to dislike Lizzy. That's science.

Thank you very much for the explanation of the senate. I understand now.

I agree that we should be slowly working towards a well-structured republic over the next century. I don't see there as being any rush to get rid of the Queen either, considering we've been able to implement quite drastic changes to the very fabric of the UK over the last 10 years despite being under her rule. It would be foolish to depose the Queen next year for instance and cause such a drastic change in government that would be widely unpopular with the people and... well, I don't really know what would happen.

Be a rebel.
236 years ahead of you.

Actually, the English were 100 years ahead of you at one point, but then they kind of... messed it up a bit, and dragged us in as well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:41:59 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: September 15, 2012, 04:44:25 pm »

Be a rebel.
236 years ahead of you.
And I am very jealous.
Don't worry, in two years you'll have your chance to *snicker* vote on whether or not you want to be England's slaves any longer.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: September 15, 2012, 04:50:09 pm »

Be a rebel.
236 years ahead of you.
And I am very jealous.
Don't worry, in two years you'll have your chance to *snicker* vote on whether or not you want to be England's slaves any longer.

We're not England's slaves, we're just... I don't know. It's like England doesn't exist anymore, it's just... Britain, a territory governed by politicians from all over the UK.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: September 15, 2012, 04:50:48 pm »

Be a rebel.
236 years ahead of you.
And I am very jealous.

We're not England's slaves, we're just... I don't know. It's like England doesn't exist anymore, it's just... Britain, a territory governed by politicians from all over the UK.
You just keep on telling yourself that. I'll be over here hanging out in my sovereign nation. Perhaps I'll invite the Canadians and Mexicans from their sovereign nations and we'll have one big North American Sovereign Nation party. But not Cuba. Cuba is not invited to the NASN.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:52:44 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: September 15, 2012, 04:52:13 pm »

You just keep on telling yourself that. I'll be over here hanging out in my sovereign nation. Perhaps I'll invite the Canadians and Mexicans from their sovereign nations and we'll have one big North American Sovereign Nation party. But not Cuba. Cuba is not invited to the NASN.

No, no really. I'm super serious, the mistake is believing that we are slaves to England. The English have nothing - they don't even have a parliament. We are slaves to the British state... or someone else. I can't think.

Also, Cuba isn't really north american is it? They wouldn't want to join some kind of crazy ass north american union. They're too busy accomodating your state-sponsored torturers and POW camps.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:03:18 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: September 15, 2012, 05:23:20 pm »

Also, Cuba isn't really north american is it? They wouldn't want to join some kind of crazy ass north american union.
NAU? No. It's just a party. And Cuba is not invited. Commie bastards. If they aren't North American what are they? It's the closest continent to them by far.
They're too busy accomodating your state-sponsored torturers and POW camps.
Of the 779 people sent to Guantanamo Bay, 600 have been released, 8 have died, and 167 are still there. It won't be around much longer.

As for torture, water-boarding is thankfully not legal anymore.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:25:57 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: September 15, 2012, 05:29:50 pm »

Also, Cuba isn't really north american is it? They wouldn't want to join some kind of crazy ass north american union.
NAU? No. It's just a party. And Cuba is not invited. Commie bastards. If they aren't North American what are they? It's the closest continent to them by far.
They're too busy accomodating your state-sponsored torturers and POW camps.
Of the 779 people sent to Guantanamo Bay, 600 have been released, 8 have died, and 167 are still there. It won't be around much longer.

As for torture, water-boarding is thankfully not legal anymore.

It's quite amazing that anyone would try to claim that water boarding wasn't torture in the first place. But that's pretty damned good about Guantanamo being so close to shutting down though. I take it that's going to be a feather in Obama's cap?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: September 15, 2012, 05:36:29 pm »

That was one of the things he said he was going to do, so I certainly hope Obama deals with it. Presidents tend to be more reckless in their second terms since they don't have to worry about re-election, so hopefully he'll go for it like he said he was going to.

It's actually mostly an administrative thing right now. About half of the people still in Guantanamo have already been cleared for release but the military is reluctant to actually let them go.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: September 15, 2012, 05:52:42 pm »

Cuba doesn't support Guantanimo Bay. They haven't cashed our checks for it, and have said we need to get off their land at every turn. It's just very complicated.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: September 15, 2012, 05:54:23 pm »

They also can't do much of anything about it. If they attack we'll attack back, and without the USSR to watch their back....
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: September 15, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »

Err, you guys do know that Her Majesty died fifteen years ago, right?

We have a long-standing tradition of taxidermy in the UK.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 714