Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721192 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5700 on: September 25, 2012, 01:21:51 pm »

Bush was not anywhere near has horrible as Romney would be.

Bush gets a lot of criticism but he did good things, such as like PEPFAR. He wasn't really cut out for being President in a situation like the one 9/11 presented. Had it not happened he wouldn't have been anywhere near as disliked. All of his worst actions stem from it.

Romney is a blatant far-right shrill who pill pander to corporations and organized religion so he can get more power for himself, just because.

In my mind, I'm comparing Romney and Bush more on the basis of their image to the world rather than their policies within the USA. Bush was dreadfully unpopular the world over, but Romney would be worse.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:23:32 pm by Owlbread »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: September 25, 2012, 01:34:40 pm »

Ways that bush wasn't like Romney:
Bush got his wealth from oil, Romney got his wealth from murdering corporations and feasting on their corpses.
Bush liked beer and fried chicken (and cocaine), Romney likes bottled water and whatever Mormons are allowed to eat.
Bush dodged the draft by joining the Texas national guard, Romney dodged the draft by going to France.
Bush comfortably wears cowboy boots, denim and a 10 gallon hat, Romney comfortably wears a $10 thousand dollar business suit.
Bush never used the words "ardent" and "NASCAR" in the same sentence, he probably never even used the word "ardent".
Etc.
Bush felt he had a close, personal relationship with Jesus. Romney employs a guy named Jesus to maintain his landscaping.
Romney is a heartless, unfeeling automaton of a being. Bush just had one as Vice-President.
Bush was a NASCAR fan. Romney has friends who own NASCAR teams.
Bush nearly choked to death on a pretzel. Romney just choked, period.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: September 25, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »

Welp, it's official. Mitt Romney is fucking stupid. Maybe I took that quote wrong, but wow.
Isn't Gawker a satire site?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: September 25, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »

It is honestly a rather frightening indication of just how far off the deep end the GOP has gone in the last few years that we'd all infinitely prefer Bush to Romney as candidate.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: September 25, 2012, 01:56:14 pm »

It's not satire. It's not entirely clear if Romney was perhaps being sarcastic or maybe just failing miserably at cracking an irony joke. But in any case, numerous news outlets are reporting it as straight comment. And as we all know at this point, in an election campaign context is the first casualty. FWIW, I have no sympathy for Romney on this point. If they're gonna harp on Obama's "You didn't build that" comment sans context, then it's fair game to make Romney look like a man with a tenuous grasp of basic physics and chemisty.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:24 pm »

BBC USA correspondant Mark Mardell Summarised Obama as a man who realises (thanks to 4 years in office) that the USA is part of the wider world and needs the rest of the world to help solve its problems, as well as in turn contributing to the solutions the rest of the world needs. He went on to describe Romney as a man who holds the opinion that the USA can ignore the rest of the world and try and go it alone, which is a world view that Mark Mardell feels too many Americans hold. Accurate?
This is a blank sig.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: September 25, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »

If he describe Romney as "a man who holds the opinion that the USA can ignore the rest of the world and try and go it alone", I wonder what he thinks of Ron Paul.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: September 25, 2012, 02:02:12 pm »

Romney does not believe we should ignore the rest of the world - he just believes we don't owe them anything for taking what we can from them. :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: September 25, 2012, 02:10:56 pm »

Given the comments about the space program that I linked to, I think they see the rest of the world as competitors. And you know how nicely businessmen treat their competitors.

Obama "has put the space program on a path where we are conceding our global position as the unequivocal leader in space," Ryan added. "Today, if we want to send an astronaut to the space station, we have to pay the Russians to take them there. China may someday be looking down on us from the moon. That is unacceptable."

Also, for some reason that quote is redolent of Sarah Palin's "I can see Russia from my house" comment. As in, I wonder if Paul Ryan actually pictures Chinese people on the moon visually looking at America with their mysterious, inscrutable eyes.... ???

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: September 25, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »

Given the comments about the space program that I linked to, I think they see the rest of the world as competitors. And you know how nicely businessmen treat their competitors.

Obama "has put the space program on a path where we are conceding our global position as the unequivocal leader in space," Ryan added. "Today, if we want to send an astronaut to the space station, we have to pay the Russians to take them there. China may someday be looking down on us from the moon. That is unacceptable."

Also, for some reason that quote is redolent of Sarah Palin's "I can see Russia from my house" comment. As in, I wonder if Paul Ryan actually pictures Chinese people on the moon visually looking at America with their mysterious, inscrutable eyes.... ???

Why do you think they are always squinting? Its cause they have to focus their eyes to see us from their moon base.

EDIT: On a more serious note: Although in a perfect world we'd explore space for the love of science and adventure, if competition pushes us into space anyway, well, progress is still progress, I guess, if not short lived like last time. :\
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:57:14 pm by darkrider2 »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: September 25, 2012, 02:55:00 pm »

Nice. Looks like it doesn't matter as much to him whether somebody goes to the moon or not. It's the "looking down on us" part that is unacceptable.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: September 25, 2012, 02:57:54 pm »

hm. so they want to focus on manned exploration. with the current NASA budget?
please tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that require at the very least gutting any other program?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: September 25, 2012, 02:59:09 pm »

There's plenty to gut in the educational funds!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02:55 pm »

> Take 5% out of the military's budget
> Give it to NASA
> Moon bases in 10 years

:P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: September 25, 2012, 03:03:58 pm »

I'm not going to oppose them trying to stir up a social panic about China's space program. That's just what we need to convince the politicians to refund NASA.

This is perhaps the one subject where I find myself in total, disgusted disagreement with Obama.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 714