Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720930 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5730 on: September 25, 2012, 04:58:18 pm »

Also, none of those things are free in Scotland, they're just paid through taxes.

Russia and China are honestly pretty behind. The US, EU, and Japan have the most active programs right now, but that is unfortunately very little.

Space exploration leads to space exploitation, down the line. The potential resource gain is massive. It is a long-term investment, but the payback couldn't be represented in dollars. We already see plenty of the technological benefits. NASA has a whole magazine about the technologies they innovated in the course of their missions. Necessity is the mother of invention, and space is the most hostile environment there is.

Furthermore, conditions on Earth will never be perfected enough to say "alright, now we can go into space". That isn't how it works. Earth has limited scope. Your schools and hospitals might last for a couple centuries, but without human expansion into space the collapse of human civilization on Earth is inevitable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: September 25, 2012, 04:58:42 pm »

In a very real sense, that's correct. The massive benefits of space research (including but not limited to better materials, much of our solar power tech, and the various satellite services such as weather reporting, navigation, communications, and geological surveys) are not restricted to the countries that put in the effort, so the nations that spend elsewhere are reaping the rewards of other nations' expenditures. This is as it should be, as it would have been extremely wasteful to duplicate the effort dozens of times. Two major space programs was enough to encourage competition between the two, and encourage a few others to attempt to challenge the leaders.

@darkrider. Far from it. Large as the US defense budget is, the costs of the programs Owlbread mentioned would be nearly as large. 320,000,000+ people is a lot for any program to cover. With better tax revenues, and trimming the existing budget, it's quite possible to afford such programs. But it's not nearly as non-trivial as is often assumed. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: September 25, 2012, 05:21:45 pm »

We need to find an alien race of psychic megasquid to fight so all of Earth can finally be united.

Might be easier just to find some terrorists to...

Nevermind.  That didn't work.

I know you were being sarcastic.  It just dawned on me... blow up a piece of New York (or rather politically abuse the fact that a piece of NY was blown up -- I'm not trying to phrase things like a conspiracy theorist here) and assign responsibility to an abstract threat that can't actually be fought against to scare people into compromises?  Too bad we didn't get constructive compromises in reality.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: September 25, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »

More specifically scriver was referencing Watchmen (the comic, not the movie adaptation).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5734 on: September 25, 2012, 05:53:22 pm »

Catastrophic event/scenario + actual humans expected to get together = "n countries have pulled their funding from the X-Com project, and then started a war"
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: September 25, 2012, 06:14:57 pm »

More specifically scriver was referencing Watchmen (the comic, not the movie adaptation).

Indeed I was, in which
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More alarming, however, is the realisation that Salmon hasn't read Watchmen! You loose all geek cred.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: September 26, 2012, 08:13:56 am »

I got the reference, actually. 

The realization I was describing in my previous post was how similar the end of Watchmen was to 9/11.  No, I'm not saying anything conspiracy theorist here.  I'm just saying that a piece of New York was blown up and it shocked the world... except in The Watchmen, the *spoiler* was used to suggest the existence of an abstract/omnipresent threat and an excuse to compromise on disagreements for the sake of security.  In reality, 9/11 was used to suggest the existence of an abstract/omnipresent threat and an excuse to compromise on values (freedom, privacy, and peace) for the sake of security.

Yes, I know the difference here is that the *spoiler* was a threat from beyond human politics, while terrorism is... not.  All the other parallels just hit me rather suddenly.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:34 am »

Oh. I understand, now.

You still don't get back your geek cred though. They belong to the bank now, and I- ehr, I mean, they already spent it. :P

'In reality, 9/11 was used to suggest the existence of an abstract/omnipresent threat and an excuse to compromise on values (freedom, privacy, and peace) for the sake of security.

Also security. Freedom, privacy, security, and peace. For the sake of security.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: September 26, 2012, 09:02:00 am »

Also, none of those things are free in Scotland, they're just paid through taxes.

Russia and China are honestly pretty behind. The US, EU, and Japan have the most active programs right now, but that is unfortunately very little.

Not so much. Japan has a variety of probes and whatnot, but no manned program at all. While Russia maintains a manned program mostly so they have Soyuz "space taxi" pilots. I'm not sure if the ESA maintains a manned program or not? I know they've sent people on the ISS but that's always been by hitching a ride on a Soyuz or the Shuttle.

Meanwhile, China has an active manned program with at least five successful missions now, including their first female taikonaut back in June. And they're working on their own (admittedly small) space station. As with most everything else re: China and advanced technology, they started by back-engineering tech from other countries, but they're making rapid progress in indigenous development.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:30 am »

Unfortunately, this is one thing the administration thinks private industry can do better. Never mind the fact that private industry lives for profit while NASA lived for scientific exploration. But hey, nothing can possibly go wrong a space program built from the ground up by for-profit enterprises, right? RIGHT?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: September 26, 2012, 09:07:41 am »

snip

ESA has a manned program in the same way that the US currently has one. Co-operation with other nations. We once tried to design our own microshuttle equivalent, but came to the conclusion that the Soyoez was safer and cheaper. Hence we pulled the plug.

ESA is mostly doing science and other usefull things these days, and investing in Galileo.

Unfortunately, this is one thing the administration thinks private industry can do better. Never mind the fact that private industry lives for profit while NASA lived for scientific exploration. But hey, nothing can possibly go wrong a space program built from the ground up by for-profit enterprises, right? RIGHT?
But the emergency escape pods were too expensive, so we dropped those. Problem is that removing NASA will have quite an impact on said private industries.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: September 26, 2012, 09:09:36 am »

Astronaut: "Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!"

And then Space Stupid Sexy Flanders died of exposure to a vacuum.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: September 26, 2012, 09:11:04 am »

Though escape pods are actually not something that would be useful on a craft. If your ship is going to be destroyed in such a way that you can't jettison or seal off a damaged and/or exploding section, you're screwed already.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: September 26, 2012, 09:15:58 am »

Though escape pods are actually not something that would be useful on a craft. If your ship is going to be destroyed in such a way that you can't jettison or seal off a damaged and/or exploding section, you're screwed already.
Talking about rockets. I meant those little escape rockets that are installed on pretty much every rocket.

Escape pods can be pretty usefull though, as the ISS has one availble at all times. It's just a Soyoez capsule, but it serves it's purpose.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:53 am »

They've never tried using it to evacuate the ISS, though. It's an option, but also an unknown.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 714