Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717529 times)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6105 on: October 04, 2012, 10:14:35 am »

Right. And the fact that George Will has a regular column in the Washington Post makes them irretrievably conservative.  ::)

The whole "liberal media" thing got old a really, really long time ago. It stinks of a coach spending the whole game accusing the referees of bias, in order to get them to second-guess their calls.

Don't kill the messenger, dude. But when they're set side-by-side, Romney is not the gaffe-machine that selectively chosen moments promulgated by the media seem to imply; and Obama is not the cool unflappable charismatic presence that selective clips and sound-bytes make him seem. How you get from media image A to stage reality B is your business.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:32 am »

Doesnt matter how much you polish a turd - its still a turd. Romney last night was just a shiny turd.

The BBC coverage here in the UK is waiting for any poll movement before making much in the way of sweeping comment. Seeing as by law they are not allowed to have any kind of political lean, I trust thier view that Romney did a better job on the debate based on presentation alone, but a lot of what he said was not 100% true. Obama rambled a bit, and in the BBC's opinion seemed to be basically describing his experiences as president. The point they made was to wait for the next round of polling - if Romney doesnt gain signifigant popularity in what could be seen as a "debate win" it might be very much a lost cause.
This is a blank sig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: October 04, 2012, 10:24:05 am »

It's no conspiracy, but the media are largely Democrat. Look at known campaign contributions. It's not a secret.

Even companies whose news outlets are often perceived as having a conservative bias have given significantly more money to Mr. Obama. Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation, for example, has contributed $58,825 to Mr. Obama’s campaign, compared with $2,750 to Mr.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/donations-by-media-companies-tilt-heavily-to-obama/

Intentionally or unintentionally, it does affect the coverage. The real proof is watching these two candidates side-by-side.
That's because donating money to Mitt Romney is like throwing your money into a black hole.  You want to support the winning side so that they may repay the favour.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: October 04, 2012, 10:32:45 am »

Doesnt matter how much you polish a turd - its still a turd. Romney last night was just a shiny turd.

The BBC coverage here in the UK is waiting for any poll movement before making much in the way of sweeping comment. Seeing as by law they are not allowed to have any kind of political lean, I trust thier view that Romney did a better job on the debate based on presentation alone, but a lot of what he said was not 100% true. Obama rambled a bit, and in the BBC's opinion seemed to be basically describing his experiences as president. The point they made was to wait for the next round of polling - if Romney doesnt gain signifigant popularity in what could be seen as a "debate win" it might be very much a lost cause.

They're not allowed to have any kind of political lean, but that doesn't stop them using pretty biased language with respect to the independence debate. They've since been pulled up for it and had to buckle up.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: October 04, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »

frowny-maddow.jpg is the best result of the debates last night.  And of course Chris Matthews is basically weeping and ranting:

I'd almost feel sorry for her if I didn't know she collected a $2 million dollar salary to mostly tweet  :P

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: October 04, 2012, 01:05:00 pm »

The guys on today's early morning radio show thought Romney was pretty hopeless. And that was the CBC so clearly they know what up.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: October 04, 2012, 02:17:49 pm »

The CBC said Romney was hopeless? Huh. I thought they would be less left-leaning in this.

Hey maniac, how are you feeling?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: October 04, 2012, 02:25:32 pm »

The CBC said Romney was hopeless? Huh. I thought they would be less left-leaning in this.

CBC isn't remotely unbiased. There's a reason Harper keeps trying to crack down on it.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: October 04, 2012, 02:41:44 pm »

CBC isn't remotely unbiased. There's a reason Harper keeps trying to crack down on it.
You're confusing who fired the first shots in that particular exchange.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »

Last I heard they'd always been biased, but my sources on their historical bias are biased themselves.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:27 pm »

Hangover wasn't too bad.

It's no conspiracy, but the media are largely Democrat. Look at known campaign contributions. It's not a secret.

Where was the liberal media when Bush was repeatedly caught lying before the Iraq war?  Media outside the US conveyed the flimsy nature of his case for war pretty easily, so why did our "liberal" media fall down on the job so bad?  Where was the liberal media when Bush sold the most fraudulent tax plan in history (until Romney) and it was Al Gore who got labeled as having a problem with the truth because of a statement he never said ("I invented the internet").  Where was the liberal media when the birther movement started?

Maybe members of the media sympathize with democratic ideas, that's hardly a surprise when you consider they consist of affluent, well educated people living in liberal cities and having a lot of contact with minorities, gays, etc.  But the liberal media has a great track record of legitimizing fringe conservative ideas and of discrediting very sound liberal ones.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: October 04, 2012, 04:59:18 pm »

And now the post-debate counter attacks start. Obama made a speech here (yeah it's Daily Kos, but it's just a speech transcript) where he seems to be framing Mitt's stuff last night as more flip-flopping.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: October 04, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »

He has to say flip flopping because lies don't matter anymore in American politics.  :-\
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:02 pm »

You fool, you'll make me transition into bizarro-Leafsnail if you do that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »

Guess Romney did better than I thought he would? I didn't watch the debates.

Maybe it's easier to appear confident and knowledgeable and witty when you don't have cognitive dissonance between truth and falsehood jabbing you in the brain constantly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 714