Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720981 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6120 on: October 04, 2012, 07:04:11 pm »

Guess Romney did better than I thought he would? I didn't watch the debates.

Maybe it's easier to appear confident and knowledgeable and witty when you don't have cognitive dissonance between truth and falsehood jabbing you in the brain constantly.

It's much easier when a great deal of the media will crib for you.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: October 05, 2012, 02:12:22 am »

The media today are biased towards entities that support them - which means mostly advertisers. This means that they are generally pro-business, but also try to be attractive enough to their readers with substantial purchasing power. In case of most media, this means catering to middle and upper middle class mostly.

Usually, they like to appear rational and balanced, so they avoid taking sides too openly and proceed to bash "extremists", either from the left and the right. So, naturally, you can find examples of both conservative and liberal bias if you wish to find them. But usually it's best to look where the money is.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: October 05, 2012, 10:29:09 am »

An old parody ad that is still pretty funny.

Democrats For Romney.

One poll number that has been overlooked due to the debate;
Gallup put the presidents approval ratings at 54/42 approve/disapprove. That's not been seen since late 2009. This was before the debate and all adults rather than likely voters, but that's still impressive numbers going into the endgame.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:19:24 am by palsch »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: October 05, 2012, 02:32:18 pm »

There is "left wing media" and there is "right wing media", but they both fall within a fairly "moderate" subset. Both will happily crow about the virtues of war, certain regulations, etc so as to keep the debate to certain issues and to marginalize those who go outside the designated "election issues".
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: October 05, 2012, 02:53:33 pm »

Mm, I'd say there's quite a few "news" outlets that aren't remotely moderate. I have to listen to conservative talk radio all day at work. I don't think someone who starts their show with "let's point out all the ways the LIBERAL MEDIA is demonizing Romney" to be remotely unbiased.

Talk shows in general suck, imo. The hosts are entertainers, masters of word twisting to tell the audience what they want to hear, rather than the truth. Only a couple NPR talk shows have I ever not wanted to vomit after listening to.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: October 05, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »

Mm, I'd say there's quite a few "news" outlets that aren't remotely moderate. I have to listen to conservative talk radio all day at work. I don't think someone who starts their show with "let's point out all the ways the LIBERAL MEDIA is demonizing Romney" to be remotely unbiased.

Talk shows in general suck, imo. The hosts are entertainers, masters of word twisting to tell the audience what they want to hear, rather than the truth. Only a couple NPR talk shows have I ever not wanted to vomit after listening to.
Yeah, flipping around through the AM circuits and hitting the various right-wing talk shows is an adventure composed of equal parts WTF? :P, WTF? ::) and WTF? >:(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: October 05, 2012, 03:50:02 pm »

Everyone who isn't RON PAUL is a dirty moderate.

RON PAUL

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: October 05, 2012, 03:52:57 pm »

No dude, Gary Johnson is the new thing right now.

GARYYY

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: October 05, 2012, 03:54:27 pm »

No dude, Gary Johnson is the new thing right now.

GARYYY

I used to look at Mitt Romney and say "he's the guy who you just know isn't going to win this. He just can't." Now when I look at Gary Johnson it's even worse.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: October 05, 2012, 03:57:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure Gary Johnson supporters get preachy at Ron Paul supporters. They're like the next evolution.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6130 on: October 05, 2012, 04:01:01 pm »

[mode=trollolol]
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/maine-republicans-attack-rival-playing-world-warcraft-201446958.html

Maine Republicans attacking candidate Colleen Lachawicz based on the Orcish ethnicity of her world of warcraft character.

http://news.yahoo.com/tv-networks-ap-already-called-19-states-101804164.html

"liberal media" conspire to give Mitt Romney an initial advantage of 138 to 19 electoral votes by not performing exit polls on 19 primarily republican states.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/teacher-ridicules-student-romney-t-155305823.html

Student to young to vote compared to the KKK for wearing a pink Romney/Ryan 2012 shirt to school. I don't know which one to call a pinko commie.
[/mode]

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-jobless-rate-falls-7-123110106.html

Unemployment dips below 8%, recall that this is the critical unemployment level below which sitting presidents rarely if ever get reelected.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: October 05, 2012, 04:11:32 pm »

Except for his views on welfare, I actually agree with most of what he's saying. His welfare opinions are the real deal breaker for me.

Why yes, I did consider him as a serious candidate.

"liberal media" conspire to give Mitt Romney an initial advantage of 138 to 19 electoral votes by not performing exit polls on 19 primarily republican states.

I actually would not have found that too objectionable, if they had also decided to skip California, Massachusetts, New York, or  Vermont. But the only blue states pre-called are DC, Rhode Island, and Delaware.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: October 05, 2012, 06:10:58 pm »

[mode=trollolol]

Student to young to vote compared to the KKK for wearing a pink Romney/Ryan 2012 shirt to school. I don't know which one to call a pinko commie.
[/mode]

Good, she should be ridiculed for agreeing with/supporting a person she doesn't know shit about, and getting defensive about it. And on the other hand; she doesn't deserve to vote in her life if she truly agrees that the government should be telling her what she can and cannot do with her vagina. I doubt she's educated on any issue, though, so I'd ridicule her worse than the teacher. Sorry. Don't wear a banner for someone who's got policies that are directly contrary to the beliefs and wants of America and you won't get stupid people like her teacher saying such things to her.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:14:15 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: October 05, 2012, 06:28:01 pm »

This is incredibly weird from my perspective.

I'm an American citizen whose family is from Kentucky, giving me the right to vote in that state (federal races only). I'm also a British citizen and resident who is very used to British electoral law and policy.

In the UK it's fully criminal to release any forecast of an election based on exit polling (or similar information) before the polls have closed. At the same time exit polls themselves are hugely valued by all parties (and Parties) for the demographic and related information they provide and have been frighteningly accurate recently, even in shock election results.

In the US they have now called the state I'm to vote in before I've even received my postal ballot, and the media have abandoned the idea of tracking such valuable demographic information.

I fully expect this to change at least partially (with internal party exits improved and/or shared, or another group funding a pooled media exit poll) before the election, but right now the contrast is... interesting.

EDIT: Whoop, we've got a live one here.
Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) tore into scientists as tools of the devil in a speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet last month.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”
Not that this will make any difference to his electoral chances. I don't actually see any sign that there is anyone running against him.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:57:12 pm by palsch »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: October 05, 2012, 07:38:22 pm »

[mode=trollolol]

[/mode]

Good, she should be ridiculed for agreeing with/supporting a person she doesn't know shit about, and getting defensive about it. And on the other hand; she doesn't deserve to vote in her life if she truly agrees that the government should be telling her what she can and cannot do with her vagina. I doubt she's educated on any issue, though, so I'd ridicule her worse than the teacher. Sorry. Don't wear a banner for someone who's got policies that are directly contrary to the beliefs and wants of America and you won't get stupid people like her teacher saying such things to her.

Come on, that's a bit harsh, and you're being melodramatic. Nobody deserves ridicule for politics or whatever, nor does that kid deserve having the right to vote taken away from her just because she's making the wrong choice. Her choices are her choices, and part of democracy is the right to make the wrong choice - otherwise you can just set up a dictatorship.

If we treat one another with respect then things won't get as ugly as they sometimes do.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 714