Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720848 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6285 on: October 08, 2012, 12:50:06 pm »

Eh.

Be that as it may, I'll vote for whoever supports the space program more.

No one supports the space program.

Romney claims to, but he also plans on massive tax cuts, to be payed with by slashing investments in education and science that directly and indirectly reduce the effectiveness of the space program even if NASA's budget isn't slashed (and it will be).

Obama has decided to not increase NASA spending, because he would never be allowed to by the republican senate.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: October 08, 2012, 01:29:36 pm »

So does that mean that the state's with the highest voting turnout are filled with jerks? :P

No, you don't have to be a jerk to vote.  I don't think the average person is a jerk.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: October 08, 2012, 01:34:28 pm »

Did any of ya'll watch O'rielly and John Stewart's debate/discussion on the issues?
It was a lot of fun. John Stewart is so short. lol
It was very funny and they provided more information than either candidate did in the presidential debate.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: October 08, 2012, 01:52:35 pm »

I saw a bit. It was refreshing to hear 'papa bear' say things like the invasion of Iraq was a mistake and that capitalism can be a problem in certain cases.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:58:09 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: October 08, 2012, 01:56:40 pm »

I liked that they agreed about Veterans, and when they talked about immigration.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: October 08, 2012, 03:31:50 pm »

No one supports the space program.
Gingrich 2016!  You know it makes sense.

I liked that they agreed about Veterans, and when they talked about immigration.
Obama also thinks that veterans are part of the 47% who will never take responsibility for their lives?

Edit: confused by context
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:51:22 pm by Leafsnail »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:15 pm »

...what? Neither Obama nor Romney were involved in the debate they were discussing. :P

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: October 08, 2012, 03:55:59 pm »

But surely once things are more stable in the USA, there will be plenty of time for space programs?
The USA is stable, hence why it is important to both combat climate change and fund the space program right now. The sooner we get material returns from space exploration the better. Earth only has so much to offer us, no matter how well we conserve.

But isn't America currently riddled with economic hardship?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: October 08, 2012, 04:01:30 pm »

But surely once things are more stable in the USA, there will be plenty of time for space programs?
The USA is stable, hence why it is important to both combat climate change and fund the space program right now. The sooner we get material returns from space exploration the better. Earth only has so much to offer us, no matter how well we conserve.

But isn't America currently riddled with economic hardship?
Not anywhere near 2008, and it is irrelevant regardless. If you wait for the perfect time it will never come, and then we're all dead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: October 08, 2012, 04:04:15 pm »

If we only limit it to times when we aren't suffering any sort of hardship, we'll never, ever have a space program.

It's like the people say they're going to wait to have a kid until their lives are "stable", and then never do because it's never stable "enough".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: October 08, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »

Though on that, a lot of people are going to need to go without kids if we're going to maintain civilization. The majority of people who are going to cause our collapse don't exist yet, and if they never exist the resources they would otherwise take will be freed up.

I don't particularly like the idea of putting restrictions on reproduction, but if it's that or our entire civilization...
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »

Not anywhere near 2008, and it is irrelevant regardless. If you wait for the perfect time it will never come, and then we're all dead.

That kind of attitude is the kind that means you're always going to be just slightly in the shit while money gets wasted on fantastical projects. Don't treat the shitty stuff as stuff that's always going to be there, just go and deal with it. Put all your energy into it and when things are easier, go for your space program.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: October 08, 2012, 04:17:32 pm »

That kind of attitude is the kind that means you're always going to be just slightly in the shit while money gets wasted on fantastical projects. Don't treat the shitty stuff as stuff that's always going to be there, just go and deal with it. Put all your energy into it and when things are easier, go for your space program.
It isn't a fantasy. NASA churns out technological innovation like no other agency and is investing in the future of human civilization.

Economic downturns are a fact of having an economy. "Just fix it" is the real fantasy.

And furthermore, we can multitask. You can, in fact, do everything you need to do, and this is something we need to do.

NASA gets $18 Billion dollars a year and shrinking. The Department of Defence gets $683 Billion dollars a year and growing. If you want to talk about cuts, don't go looking at the space program, because even at its greatest it was never more than 5% of the US budget. They should be getting more on the order of $100 Billion dollars a year anyway.

You are never going to get your perfect time. It doesn't exist.

You don't just "go for" a space program. These things take lots of investment to get returns, but the returns are exponentially greater. The sooner we start investing the sooner we can get returns, and the sooner we get returns the sooner we can avert the downfall of humanity.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:23:19 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: October 08, 2012, 04:21:50 pm »

Regarding NASA:

This is a blank sig.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: October 08, 2012, 04:25:22 pm »

I still prefer the answer "satellites".  Brevity really helps get the point across.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 714